ffmpeg issues on Ubuntu

Jägs

Greetings:

I've decided to move my Emby server from a Windows box to my Ubuntu server, in part, because I want to leverage Emby as the source for Kodi, and I was having problems with getting the (Optional) Shared network folder working from Windows.

Anyway, almost my entire collection consists of BR and DVD rips.  The latter are folders named "Movie.dvdmedia" (containing VIDEO_TS)--a holdover from when I ran things on my Mac--and in keeping with the tradition, the BR rips are folders named "Movie.brmedia" (containing BDMV).

On Windows, this was no problem.  On Ubuntu, ".dvdmedia" folders work fine, but ffmpeg is having a problem with the ".brmedia" folders.  When I try to play them through Emby, I just get the little spinning icon, indicating that Emby is busy, and then nothing happens.  When I check the ffmpeg logs, it concludes with the following:

ffmpeg version 2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 5.4.0 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4) 20160609
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=0ubuntu0.16.04.1 --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --cc=cc --cxx=g++ --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --disable-decoder=libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=libschroedinger --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencv
libavutil 54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
libavcodec 56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
libavformat 56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 40.101 / 5. 40.101
libavresample 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 2.101 / 1. 2.101
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
file:/path/Movie.brmedia: Is a directory

Is there some setting or ffmpeg flag I need to set in order to have ffmpeg to descend into the folder and process the BDMV folder instead?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome. What is underneath the .brmedia folder? Keep in mind that our support to transcode these folder rip structures is purely experimental. ffmpeg does not natively support it, therefore our ability to support it is limited.

Hi, Luke:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  It's a standard BDMV rip from MakeMKV:

Movie.brmedia

• BDMV
    • AUXDATA
    • BACKUP
    • BDJO
    • CLIPINF
    • index.bdmv
    • JAR
    • META
    • MovieObject.bdmv
    • PLAYLIST
    • STREAM
  • CERTIFICATE
    • BACKUP
  • MAKEMKV
    • AACS
    • discattd.dat

(let me know if you need me to show any more than this)

As I said, though, this worked fine on Windows, but is giving me problems on Ubuntu.  Every other file format is working fine.  I can also include the entire ffmpeg log file, if that'd help.

Thanks!

the transcode command line is supposed to be passing in a concat list of m2ts files. so it looks like it failed to determine what m2ts files should be used. you could try refreshing it from the detail screen using the dot menu to see if that pulls in more metadata, then try to play again.

I took a closer look at my Windows server--I left Emby on it, just in case--and I found a subtle difference:  on Windows, I map the SMB share from my Ubuntu server to a drive letter, and then in Emby, use the drive letter in the media library folder.  On my Ubuntu server, I use the direct paths.

I'm going to try to go through NFS or SMB to see if that works any better and will report back, but at this point, I don't think it's necessarily an Emby issue.

OK, so I worked a bit more on this last night, and have narrowed it down to three possibilities:

• a change in ffmpeg
  • a change in Emby
  • a change on my filesystem

Helpful, I know...

The thing is, though, now the problem is consistent, but not the error.  Here's what I get when I try to play a Blu-Ray rip on Windows:

file:V:\movies\Star Wars - The Force Awakens (2015).brmedia: Permission denied

The thing is, though, on Windows, using the same path, I can play it just fine on VLC.

On Unbuntu, the problem is as I reported above:

file:/path/movies/Star Wars - The Force Awakens (2015).brmedia: Is a directory

Again, I do not suspect an actual problem, as they play fine on Kodi.  So, going back to the the possibilities I stated earlier:

• a change in ffmpeg
  • a change in Emby
  • a change on my filesystem

I think we can eliminate the third option, as the files/folders seem to function in other media players.  I know I've played this particular Blu-Ray on Windows before, and somewhat recently, so I suspect a change in either Emby and ffmpeg.  In fact, until I started down the path of migrating to Ubuntu, I'm fairly confident Blu-Ray was working on Windows as recently as a week or two ago, but now it's not.

I did notice that there were a couple of recent server updates:  3.1 and 3.1.1.  Might there have been a change that could have affected this?  Also, is there a way to retrieve older ffmpeg logs from Emby, so I can verify when the last time I was able to stream a Blu-Ray might have been?

It does identify it as a "BLURAY" (see screenshot), but under Media Info, it only shows the path.  The ".dvdmedia" folders display media information, so it is specific to the ".brmedia" folders.

585d88a6e966d_ScreenShot20161223at22330P

Out of curiosity, I did rename the folder to just "Star Wars - The Force Awakens (2015)" just to see if the ".brmedia" was confusing things, but it behaved the same way:  won't play, doesn't display media information.

His an extract of the log where "awaken" appears around the time I did the library sync to test the rename:

2016-12-23 14:40:39.5178 Error App: Error getting BDInfo
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.1.1.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Processor count: 8
    Program data path: C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
    Application directory: C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path
     at Emby.Common.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetDirectoryInfo(String path)
     at BDInfo.BDROM.GetDirectoryBDMV(String path)
     at BDInfo.BDROM..ctor(String path, IFileSystem fileSystem, ITextEncoding textEncoding)
     at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.BdInfo.BdInfoExaminer.GetDiscInfo(String path)
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.FFProbeVideoInfo.GetBDInfo(String path)
    System.ArgumentNullException
     at Emby.Common.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetDirectoryInfo(String path)
     at BDInfo.BDROM.GetDirectoryBDMV(String path)
     at BDInfo.BDROM..ctor(String path, IFileSystem fileSystem, ITextEncoding textEncoding)
     at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.BdInfo.BdInfoExaminer.GetDiscInfo(String path)
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.FFProbeVideoInfo.GetBDInfo(String path)

2016-12-23 14:40:39.5178 Error App: No playable vobs found in bluray structure, skipping ffprobe.
2016-12-23 14:40:39.5178 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://www.omdbapi.com/?plot=full&r=json&y=2015&t=Star+Wars+-+The+Force+Awakens&type=movie
2016-12-23 14:40:39.6174 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 10.0.1.4. Time: 736872ms. http://portical.local:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/6330ee8fb4a957f33981f89aa78b030f
2016-12-23 14:40:39.7935 Info App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Star Wars - The Force Awakens
2016-12-23 14:40:39.7935 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=Star+Wars+-+The+Force+Awakens&language=en
2016-12-23 14:40:40.1262 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/vZpB8ezB1IqpxI9rx553TuGwDzJ.jpg
2016-12-23 14:40:40.7952 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/c2Ax8Rox5g6CneChwy1gmu4UbSb.jpg
2016-12-23 14:40:41.0678 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/njv65RTipNSTozFLuF85jL0bcQe.jpg
2016-12-23 14:40:41.4296 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/wSyHVm2rv9jHxBqjAfSXJGSAYJ9.jpg
2016-12-23 14:40:42.0380 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/140607/moviebanner/star-wars-episode-vii-5547b15d7bfda.jpg
2016-12-23 14:40:42.7819 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/140607/hdmovielogo/star-wars-episode-vii-545f3cd76f45d.png
2016-12-23 14:40:43.2588 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/140607/moviethumb/star-wars-episode-vii---the-force-awakens-56f3db7cae0ba.jpg
2016-12-23 14:40:52.2402 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeriesByRemoteID.php?imdbid=tt0048899&language=en

I suspect the problem might be with BDINFO, but do not know enough about the inner workings of Emby to be sure.  There were errors after this as well, but they seemed related to TheTVDB.  I can post more of the log, if needed, just let me know

Yes:

drwxr-xr-x   5 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x 153 me me 20480 Dec 23 15:21 ..
drwxr-xr-x  10 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 BDMV
drwxr-xr-x   3 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 CERTIFICATE
drwxr-xr-x   3 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 MAKEMKV

And under BDMV:

drwxr-xr-x 10 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x  5 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 AUXDATA
drwxr-xr-x  6 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 BACKUP
drwxr-xr-x  2 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 BDJO
drwxr-xr-x  2 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 CLIPINF
-rwxr--r--  1 me me  1176 Apr  5  2016 index.bdmv
drwxr-xr-x  6 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 JAR
drwxr-xr-x  5 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 META
-rwxr--r--  1 me me 67454 Apr  5  2016 MovieObject.bdmv
drwxr-xr-x  2 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 PLAYLIST
drwxr-xr-x  2 me me  4096 Apr  5  2016 STREAM
Edited by Jägs

Ok, i'm not quite sure what the issue is so I will add additional logging for the next server update that should help us identify it. thanks.

OK, thanks for all of your assistance.  Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help?  Would enabling debugging provide you any more useful information?

For what it's worth, I was able to get Emby for Kodi to work--which was my goal when I started this--and TFA (as well as all other blu-rays) play back just fine using local playback on my test instance of Kodi Jarvis.  It's going to be really slick once it's all work, especially only needing to manage one set of metadata!

scottpro

For what it's worth I have the same issue with Blu-ray folders too.  With the 3.1 upgrade all new discs that are added to the database are not registering correctly.  FFMPEG reports "file:/mnt/media/Movies/<movie folder>: Is a directory".

I'm using Ubuntu and mounting my NAS using NFS to my Emby server.  Everything worked fine before the upgrade.  Looks like you found the problem and have a fix.

For what it's worth I have the same issue with Blu-ray folders too.  With the 3.1 upgrade all new discs that are added to the database are not registering correctly.  FFMPEG reports "file:/mnt/media/Movies/: Is a directory".

I'm using Ubuntu and mounting my NAS using NFS to my Emby server.  Everything worked fine before the upgrade.  Looks like you found the problem and have a fix.

Yes, you'll need to refresh affected titles once the release is available. Keep in mind that transcoding folder rip structures is something we only consider as experimental anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
guillaumelol78

Hello.

I just tested with my fav bluray i got for christmas. It works well on the webplayer (even thoughthe subtitles language are not correctly shown) but i can't sent the stream to my chromecast. That's a known issue ?