Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

denz

Yes it does

It should work with all versions but it is always better to use current version.

HarleyDude

Thank you.

I am following the guide provide by @@haraldov in this post. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/?p=455189

When trying to run sudo apt-get install npm, I get the following results. Any ideas?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install npm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  gyp libjs-inherits libjs-node-uuid libssl1.0-dev libuv1-dev node-abbrev node-ansi
  node-ansi-color-table node-archy node-async node-balanced-match node-block-stream
  node-brace-expansion node-builtin-modules node-combined-stream node-concat-map
  node-cookie-jar node-delayed-stream node-forever-agent node-form-data node-fs.realpath
  node-fstream node-fstream-ignore node-github-url-from-git node-glob node-graceful-fs
  node-gyp node-hosted-git-info node-inflight node-inherits node-ini
  node-is-builtin-module node-isexe node-json-stringify-safe node-lockfile node-lru-cache
  node-mime node-minimatch node-mkdirp node-mute-stream node-node-uuid node-nopt
  node-normalize-package-data node-npmlog node-once node-osenv node-path-is-absolute
  node-pseudomap node-qs node-read node-read-package-json node-request node-retry
  node-rimraf node-semver node-sha node-slide node-spdx-correct
  node-spdx-expression-parse node-spdx-license-ids node-tar node-tunnel-agent
  node-underscore node-validate-npm-package-license node-which node-wrappy node-yallist
  nodejs-dev
Suggested packages:
  node-hawk node-aws-sign node-oauth-sign node-http-signature debhelper
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gyp libjs-inherits libjs-node-uuid libssl1.0-dev libuv1-dev node-abbrev node-ansi
  node-ansi-color-table node-archy node-async node-balanced-match node-block-stream
  node-brace-expansion node-builtin-modules node-combined-stream node-concat-map
  node-cookie-jar node-delayed-stream node-forever-agent node-form-data node-fs.realpath
  node-fstream node-fstream-ignore node-github-url-from-git node-glob node-graceful-fs
  node-gyp node-hosted-git-info node-inflight node-inherits node-ini
  node-is-builtin-module node-isexe node-json-stringify-safe node-lockfile node-lru-cache
  node-mime node-minimatch node-mkdirp node-mute-stream node-node-uuid node-nopt
  node-normalize-package-data node-npmlog node-once node-osenv node-path-is-absolute
  node-pseudomap node-qs node-read node-read-package-json node-request node-retry
  node-rimraf node-semver node-sha node-slide node-spdx-correct
  node-spdx-expression-parse node-spdx-license-ids node-tar node-tunnel-agent
  node-underscore node-validate-npm-package-license node-which node-wrappy node-yallist
  nodejs-dev npm
0 upgraded, 69 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,150 kB/2,898 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Err:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian stretch/main armhf libssl1.0-dev armhf 1.0.2l-2+deb9u1
  404  Not Found [iP: 93.93.128.193 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

HarleyDude

I did not see that on my initial look at the error, however I googled and found that. Updating now.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
n00b42

My experience so far:

Setup: Raspberry Pi Rev B (256MB), Raspbian Stretch with desktop 2017-11-29 (will also try Raspbian Lite with Openbox)

Installing electron required to first do an "npm install -g npm@latest" and then use the "--unsafe-perm=true" flag for electron (some bug in the postinstall of electron)

Questions regarding installation steps, it is intention to

- have "node-mpv" not globally installed? (using -g) and

- why not use "apt-get install git" (I know they do the same thing, just wondering why you deviate from apt-get)

After everything was somehow installed, I cloned the repo, changed to the directory and tried to start:

> "electron main.js"

It took like 1-2s and then returned. Nothing showed up, no error, no info, just stayed at the console.

Sadly I do not have any experience with Electron and do not know if there are some verbose flags or similar, or where to find logs about what happened...

Can someone help?

Edited by n00b42

denz

you should be using this command to install electron the other electrons do not work 

npm install electron@1.4.16

If you have interlaced content you are better off with the version below as the video player doesn't support deinterlacing in pi 

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-pi.git

Edited by denz

n00b42

Thank you I will first try using that specific version and then using the Pi build.

I read through the Rpi post before and It looked liked everyone suggested to move to the Linux build instead of using the Pi build.

denz

This electron/Linux version is faster to start video and the osd works but when it can’t deinterlace video there isn’t much use all my live tv channels are interlaced. I posted a feature request on mpv GitHub months ago but still nothing i posted another bug but developers are not as helpful as developers for emby.

denz

I haven't used the pi this week but will have a look tonight What I can remember is that the osd for some reason when the video starts does not disappear in that version and I had to remove some line to make the osd fully transparent. It is probable an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing if it is not fixed already. 

denz

No change I had to change playbackhandler file and put alpha 255 as any other figure there is a overlay that doesn't disappear what I just noticed is that setting also controls the background transparency I was going in Windows version the backdrop is nearly totally black whereas on the pi version the backdrop is bright. It is much better when it is brighter.

denz

I should have also made clear the osd disappears when the video starts but the dark overlay that sits behind the osd does not disappear.

n00b42

@@denz can you give me some info on your setup and installation steps (which Pi, which raspbian, which steps for installation), as I still had no luck on my side. Thanks.

denz

Theater works very well on the pi3.

Once you set up raspbian in command run 

sudo apt-get update 

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 

to get everything current 

I assume that you have mpeg-2 licence that you have purchased.

Then if everything is there you need to run following commands

sudo apt-get install npm

sudo npm -g install electron@1.4.16

cd ~
git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-pi.git

sudo apt-get install cec-utils

cd emby-theater-pi
electron
. cec-client

("I tried the latest version of electron but didn't notice any benefits but found it is slower unless you put --disable-gpu comment")

Than if you are able to play a video you will see a dark overlay that will not disapper so what you have to do is edit the playbackhandler.js file that is located in playbackhandler folder  

find this and change the "90" to "255" the downside is you will not see a osd but to me its not that important 

var args = ["--alpha", "90"];

If you have issues let me know. 

rechner123

I assume that you have mpeg-2 licence that you have purchased.

If ther is no licence, would mpeg 2 will be transcoded by the emby server?

There's no detection of that, so currently I'm guessing it might try to direct play client-side, fail, and then automatically switch to server transcoding.

n00b42

@@denz Ok, I think I narrowed it down: I just tested your steps on a fresh installed Raspbian Stretch with desktop 2018-03-13

on both:

- Raspberry Pi 1 (old) Model B (256MB RAM)

- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (1024MB RAM)

On the Rpi2 it starts as expected, on the Rpi1 as mentioned earlier it just does nothing (command returns without anything)

denz

I haven't used 1 in a long time still surprised that it doesn't work but again why would you want to use it on such a old version there is a new one out now and will probably purchase it next month.

n00b42

"Why": Because it is not used for anything else ;)

Also thought about getting the 3B+, not sure though, as said before, already have 2 RPis which are not used anymore.... (for now)

n00b42

Ok, so after using the RPi2, using the rpi-build, starting electron worked and I could browse the library. Playing Audio Books worked fine with output on 3.5mm stereo, playing movies however did not give me audio (at least not on 3.5mm audio).

Then I wanted to test the linux/electron-build, and browsing the library worked fine as well, but for audio books and other media I just get "No compatible streams are currently available.".

After that I tried to go back to the rpi-build, but it seems installing mpv, node-mpv, nodelegacy or something else messed the setup up, and now movie streams dont even have graphic any more, also get "The bane org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.omxplayer was not provided by any .service files"

Quite frustrating for now... I am quite motivated to try stuff to fix it, but it seems everything I try results in more problems instead of fixing them.

Should I start a new thread about experiences with the emby-theater-electron package and RaspberryPis?

Some questions / Contradictionary Informations:

- Do we have to do an local "npm install" in den "emby-theater-electron" folder?

- Do we need to install node-mpv locally or globally?

- Which version of mpv is needed? Latest in Raspbian repos seems to be: 0.23.0. "mpv --vo=help" does not list rpi/gpu option as some pointed out (deprecated afaik)

Regards

Max

denz

That version of mpv is too old you will have to compile your own version there are instructions on this thread somewhere probable near the beginning. It works as I have done it many times to see is mpv supporting deinterlacing so far its a no. 

The issues that I had to get mpv working is that when you install node-mpv you have to type node-mpv@1.0.3 otherwise it will not work property

Are you installing the node-modules correctly once you downloaded the electron version you go into the electron directory and install all the node modules there there is 7 modules that need to be installed 

so it should be like this from your home directory 

cd emby-theater-electron

npm install is-Linux

npm install is-osx

npm install is-windows

npm install long

npm install node-mpv@1.0.3

npm install power-off

npm install sleep-mode

for electron install it globally just put the version electron@1.4.16 

I would suggest start from a clean install that is what is so great about the pi it is so easy to reinstall the operating system.

denz

To build mpv the instractions are on post 68. Current mpv release doesn't work so you have to use master ./use-mpv-master 

denz
recompiled to master but no deinterlace so no use to use mpv which is a shame as it is much faster than omxplayer

this is what your mpv.conf should contain in ./config/mpv

# Use rpi video output by default.

hwdec=mmal

# Use rpi hardware acceleration

fs=yes

log-file=/home/pi/mpv.log

Edited by denz

haraldov

@@denz said: What I can remember is that the osd for some reason when the video starts does not disappear in that version and I had to remove some line to make the osd fully transparent.

@@Luke, is this issue something you are working on to solve in ET for linux (and for ET for rpi)? I tried ET for linux yesterday with electron 1.4.16 and the newest git version 04890b6 and experience the same as @@denz

Edited by haraldov