644 replies to this topic

#521 widget100 OFFLINE  

widget100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

I just want to say... You guys %^&*ing rock!!!!!

I've been using Emby since giving up on Plex in August, had problems with stability on the PI, but Luke has been so responsive to my other posts. In the past few beta releases Emby server on the PI has become indistructable as far as crash/hang events go, and the DLNA issues/log flooding are a thing of the past. Also added the TVH plugin back and it's rock solid.

I've added an SSD to the PI to take some of the workload off the SD card and I think that might have helped in some way, but how the heck Emby manages to transcode .TS files from TVHeadend live on a PI at 30FPS baffles me.

I have 2 £6 DVB-T tuners and Emby on the PI, can record 2 channels and stream from Emby simultaneously and it works perfectly.

Anyway.. back to topic - Just threw the 3.0.4 Pi image on my spare Pi 3B, added an old MCE IR receiver with MCE remote that was kicking around and in 5 mins I have Theater with full remote control (one tiny button mapping issue but who cares).

It's flawless... did I mention you guys rock!!!

P.S... Any chance you can make Theater work on the Pi Zero W?  I know that's a big ask because of electron etc :)

#522 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback !

#523 kincaidj001 OFFLINE  

kincaidj001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:25 PM

For someone who is relatively new with emby but has a newish running emby server on windows as well as raspberry pi's running Home Assistant and Pi Hole, can the distro for raspberry pi 3+ just stream to one tv via hdmi? I'm looking for ways to use emby for my motorhome to stream to two samsung 4k tv's and a couple of Ipads. Or, would I be better off buying an android box or Intel Nuc?

Currently, I have a HDHomeRun Quatro for local channels and Premium TV from Silicon Dust.I just realized this is for Emby Theater which I haven't even looked at yet. Is plain old Emby Server an option?

Edited by kincaidj001, 22 November 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#524 widget100 OFFLINE  

widget100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

For someone who is relatively new with emby but has a newish running emby server on windows as well as raspberry pi's running Home Assistant and Pi Hole, can the distro for raspberry pi 3+ just stream to one tv via hdmi? I'm looking for ways to use emby for my motorhome to stream to two samsung 4k tv's and a couple of Ipads. Or, would I be better off buying an android box or Intel Nuc?

Currently, I have a HDHomeRun Quatro for local channels and Premium TV from Silicon Dust.I just realized this is for Emby Theater which I haven't even looked at yet. Is plain old Emby Server an option?

I'm not sure whether you realise (it's not clear in your post) but Emby is a server and client system.

So when you're running the Emby Server part under Windows, you need one of the many clients. You can use any of the Theater clients if you subscribe to Emby Premiere, and apart from those there are Android and Apple and other clients (including just the Web client that is built into Emby server.

You dont say if your Windows server will be at home and you'll stream from it on the road, or you'll take it with in your motorhome, but it doesn't matter too much. You can use the Emby Web client or the Apple one on the Ipads to talk back to the server. As far as the TV is concerned, you can use any client to push to it  via DLNA, Chromecast, an HDMI cable connected to the tablets. Or you can even download the Emby app from Samsung app store and connect directly back to your Windows server.

Tons of options, it's so flexible.

#525 morpheus1 OFFLINE  

morpheus1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 AM

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:18 AM

I'm not sure whether you realise (it's not clear in your post) but Emby is a server and client system.

So when you're running the Emby Server part under Windows, you need one of the many clients. You can use any of the Theater clients if you subscribe to Emby Premiere, and apart from those there are Android and Apple and other clients (including just the Web client that is built into Emby server.

You dont say if your Windows server will be at home and you'll stream from it on the road, or you'll take it with in your motorhome, but it doesn't matter too much. You can use the Emby Web client or the Apple one on the Ipads to talk back to the server. As far as the TV is concerned, you can use any client to push to it  via DLNA, Chromecast, an HDMI cable connected to the tablets. Or you can even download the Emby app from Samsung app store and connect directly back to your Windows server.

Tons of options, it's so flexible.

This last statement is only true, if you're connected to the Internet. This needs to be made clear. Except, of course, if this has changed. But as far as I know, you cannot use the Samsung app on a local network. It only works if you're connected to the internet, including after connecting to the internet to download and install it, which you'd need to do. If you then disconnect from the internet and want to use it on your local  network, it won't work.

Edited by morpheus1, 11 December 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#526 widget100 OFFLINE  

widget100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

This last statement is only true, if you're connected to the Internet. This needs to be made clear. Except, of course, if this has changed. But as far as I know, you cannot use the Samsung app on a local network. It only works if you're connected to the internet, including after connecting to the internet to download and install it, which you'd need to do. If you then disconnect from the internet and want to use it on your local  network, it won't work.

Just tested this and you're correct but it's the TV's problem not Emby's.

2011 Samsung, disconnected my router from the internet and the TV wont load any app, never mind Emby. (Not)Smart Hub just complains it's not connected to a network and takes you to a network settings page.

#527 gene0915 OFFLINE  

gene0915

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

I have a spare Asus Chromebox laying around that has LibreELEC/Kodi on it. Was looking around and there doesn't appear to be an embedded ISO with Emby Theater for use on x64 devices like my Chromebox. Looks like I need to install a Linux distro (Debian based) on my Chromebox and then install the Emby Theater .DEB package. Is there a Debian based distro that anyone has found to work better than others?

#528 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:43 AM

I'd probably suggest Ubuntu.

#529 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:58 AM

I've updated the build in the first post with the 3.0.6 release. It has some CEC fixes as well as fixes for DVB subtitles. Thanks everyone.

#530 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:10 PM

I just threw Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on my mini PC (first experience with Linux). It updated itself, all went smoothly. Decided to try Theater, it installed just fine. But it's got some large problems (at least for me). When I try to make it full screen, it sort of does it. The desktop gets covered, but the Theater UI doesn't move to the top left corner. So I get a black bar on the left and top, and part of the UI is pushed off the right and bottom edges of the screen. The bigger issue that I get no picture or sound when playing anything. It appears to be playing, as I can see it progressing in time. But that's all I get???? The GPU is an Intel UHD 600

• negas likes this

#531 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:15 PM

Rebooted, now I have a picture. But the other issues still exist. HWA isn't enabling, either

#532 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

It appears that the desktop taskbars are what is causing the fullscreen problem.

aaaand no picture again....

Edited by Doofus, 31 December 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#533 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:31 PM

Fixed the audio. I can play my media in the browser, but I'm losing the picture in Theater. Looks like another electron issue

#534 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:08 AM

I'm assuming that Theater on Ubuntu isn't viable. That's a pity. C'est la vie.

#535 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

Most of our development has been on RPI up to this point.

#536 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

Most of our development has been on RPI up to this point.

Plans to develop further?

#537 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:57 AM

Yes in the future, thanks.

• negas likes this

#538 princeshawn420 OFFLINE  

princeshawn420

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

i lovve this but i want it to conenct directly to my server not with a emby account, what would need changed to allow this, i know the server site pretty well the client site i have never touched 

#539 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

Hi, in the start wizard on the Emby Connect screen just click Skip, and then you can enter your server address to connect manually. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

#540 w1kl4s OFFLINE  

w1kl4s

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 AM

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

Did someone try this on Fedora or other RHEL based system? Alien does not really cooperate, installing converted package returns  

Error: Transaction check error:
  file / from install of emby-theater-3.0.6-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.9-2.fc29.x86_64
  file /usr/bin from install of emby-theater-3.0.6-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.9-2.fc29.x86_64
  file /usr/lib from install of emby-theater-3.0.6-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.9-2.fc29.x86_64

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users