Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

clarkss12

I can't find a single video of Emby Theater running on a Pi or other Linux devices.........

Anyone have a link to a video?? 

Thanks.

ellnic

@@clarkss12 you mean an install guide or just a video showing it works? You probably won’t find either because of its current state. It’s still very much WIP. I’d certainly forget the Pi for now. It’s a sub-par experience in my testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarkss12

@@clarkss12 you mean an install guide or just a video showing it works? You probably won’t find either because of its current state. It’s still very much WIP. I’d certainly forget the Pi for now. It’s a sub-par experience in my testing.

I am looking for a video that shows it in operation, what it looks like, etc.  How to install it, would be the next question, AFTER I see what it looks like running on a very low powered hardware running Linux as the sub OS.

I would like something similar to this, running on a $30 Amlogic stick, with a Linux based OS.  Basically a stand alone device that only uses Emby as the interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AuuSgCORLg

ellnic

For Amlogic Linux check out Armbian and CoreELEC. But IMHO, you would be WAY better off getting something like ATVXperience on that stick if they support it. I have several Amlogic boxes and they work far better with a decent ROM than any of the Linux offerings right now. I run ATVX on all of them and the Emby app for Android TV is great. I had an issue a while back but it turned out to be a faulty PSU, so nothing to do with Emby. I too would love an OpenELEC style ROM for the Pi and other ARM chips, but we aren’t there yet.

Edited by ellnic

clarkss12

For Amlogic Linux check out Armbian and CoreELEC. But IMHO, you would be WAY better off getting something like ATVXperience on that stick if they support it. I have several Amlogic boxes and they work far better with a decent ROM than any of the Linux offerings right now. I run ATVX on all of them and the Emby app for Android TV is great. I had an issue a while back but it turned out to be a faulty PSU, so nothing to do with Emby. I too would love an OpenELEC style ROM for the Pi and other ARM chips, but we aren’t there yet.

Yes, I also have an abundance of those Android boxes, running Armbian version of Ubuntu, CoreELEC and LibreELEC.  One of my Amlogic S905 boxes is running OpenPHT, but like to be able to have the Emby Theater running on one of these low powered boxes. So, the box boots directly into EHT, like the OpenPHT.

I have tried a couple of times, running it on one of my boxes running Linux, but was not successful...

I would like to see EHT running on the Pi..

ellnic

You could just autostart the Emby app under Android? Would this not have the same functionality? These Amlogic boxes work a lot better under Android anyway.

Edited by ellnic

clarkss12

You could just autostart the Emby app under Android? Would this not have the same functionality? These Amlogic boxes work a lot better under Android anyway.

None of these cheap Chinese Android boxes, support HD audio or automatic frame rate change. Unless they are running CoreELEC, then they play everything. Also, these cheap Chinese amlogic boxes will not play videos encoded in VC-1, without stuttering, under Android.

That's why I was looking for a solution, that is based on libreELEC, like they Plex Home Theater.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
doffactory

The Emby Theater Electron in Post #454 works fantastic for Ubuntu 18.04. Here's the install sequence....

Uninstall the .deb Version.....

sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install cec-utils

sudo apt-get install npm

git clone https://github.com/electron/electron-quick-start

cd electron-quick-start/

npm install

cd ~

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron

cd emby-theater-electron/

npm install

npm start

Only bad thing is I don't think this is supported anymore...Kinda confused on this........

Here's a desktop Icon if you like.....

gedit ~/Desktop/EmbyTheater.desktop

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Exec=/home/steve/exec.sh
Name=EmbyTheater
Comment=ET
Icon=/home/steve/et.png

exec.sh

cd /home/steve/emby-theater-electron
env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Ubuntu npm start

Not sure whether this was reported, but I was successful in installing it this way. The only problem is that on ubuntu 18.04 I have a black screen until the controls are visible. As soon as the controls automatically disappear, the video appears. Quite annoying ...

• Like 1

ellnic

None of these cheap Chinese Android boxes, support HD audio or automatic frame rate change.

That’s why I suggested ATVX. It has frame rate switching and high def audio.

Unless they are running CoreELEC, then they play everything. Also, these cheap Chinese amlogic boxes will not play videos encoded in VC-1, without stuttering, under Android.

Sounds like a cheap Chinese Android box is not what you need ;-) If it only works with coreELEC, and has no VC1, you should have checked the status of Emby theatre for Linux first to see if someone else had any luck.

That's why I was looking for a solution, that is based on libreELEC, like they Plex Home Theater.

Maybe you wanted something like a NUC?

Edited by ellnic

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how this works for the Pi 3 B+ ?

Hi, did you try following the install instructions in the first post?

EODCrafter

Hi, did you try following the install instructions in the first post?

@@Luke , Still Very Very Buggy in Ubuntu, don't see how this would be much better in Pi, TBH.

denz

If you have interlaced content and want direct play there is no point at all installing it. So far the best app for emby on tv is Android TV follow by roku and long way down is emby theatre which you get when installing on pi.

EODCrafter

If you have interlaced content and want direct play there is no point at all installing it. So far the best app for emby on tv is Android TV follow by roku and long way down is emby theatre which you get when installing on pi.

I always end up using the Server Interface for my Ubuntu, I really wish there was a Better App to View TV on a PC.....One that will make Remote Control Functions Possible.

Edited by EODCrafter

echoxxzz

I tried the 3.08 update on Ubunut 18.04.2 and I have the same issue as 3.06. I can hear the video but just get a black display. I've updated to the latest MPV (Ubuntu by default is an old release) and same problem. 

We have not yet packaged the 3.0.8 release for download. Please wait until we have done that and then try again. thanks.

The first post has been updated with the 3.0.8 release. Please try it out. Thanks guys.

laufferb

The first post has been updated with the 3.0.8 release. Please try it out. Thanks guys.

Test 3.0.8. (Ubuntu 19.04)

When I move the mouse it gets a black screen, you can see only the control panel. When the panel disappears, film returns.

Edited by laufferb

That's because the transparency features we need to display the OSD on top of the video are not supported on this platform. We'll look for a better way in the future.