Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

MediaMogal
On 10/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, negativzeroe said:
On 10/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, Emby Tower said:

I will always install native packages, no conversions or container like Snap, Docker, Flatpak ...

Why? One of the best things about Linux is not being constrained like other ecosystems.

Exactly, a Appimage or Flatpak would be great for both the server and the theater.

On 10/21/2020 at 8:14 PM, MediaMogal said:

Exactly, a Appimage or Flatpak would be great for both the server and the theater.

I've created AppImages, and Snap file here : https://github.com/romainrbr/emby-theater-electron/releases/tag/3.0.12

With a PR created on the main repo to be merged : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/pull/90

• Like 1

Well, apparently the AppImage has the same issues as Fedora (but on all platforms), it never loads the video (infinite spinning circle).

Works fine with external player.

ScottBouch
On 22/12/2016 at 19:04, xnappo said:

Raspberry Pi Image

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.12.zip

This is an image that will launch straight into Emby Theater. If there is no network connection then raspi-config is launched allowing users to connect to a network.

Hi all,

Newbie to EMBY here, just progressing over form PLEX. (really impressed so far with Emby, much more control offered than with Plex, currently running both on an Ubuntu server while I transition).

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 in use for my home cinema room projector, that used to run RasPlex client player, but sadly this is now depreciated / un-supported, hence one of my reasons for the move to Emby.

I downloaded the above Raspberry Pi zip file to my Linux Mint PC, burnt the .iso to the Pi's memory card, and started it up (connected by Ethernet).

Problem:

It did not launch into Emby theatre as expected, instead I get the Debian10 login screen, with no idea on where to find the default username and password - ie: I'm now a bit suck..

Any guidance on how to find the Debian10 username and password for this image would be greatly appreciated, and also would like to have it confirmed that this is the correct download?

Once I'm logged in, I assume I follow the auto start guidance as detailed in the opening post?:

Auto-Start

Locate the autostart file:

~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
If LXDE-pi is missing then copy it from:

/etc/xdg/lxsession/
Add this line to the end of the autostart file:

@emby-theater

Many thanks, Scott.

Edited by ScottBouch

On 10/25/2020 at 3:47 PM, ScottBouch said:

Hi all,

Newbie to EMBY here, just progressing over form PLEX. (really impressed so far with Emby, much more control offered than with Plex, currently running both on an Ubuntu server while I transition).

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 in use for my home cinema room projector, that used to run RasPlex client player, but sadly this is now depreciated / un-supported, hence one of my reasons for the move to Emby.

I downloaded the above Raspberry Pi zip file to my Linux Mint PC, burnt the .iso to the Pi's memory card, and started it up (connected by Ethernet).

Problem:

It did not launch into Emby theatre as expected, instead I get the Debian10 login screen, with no idea on where to find the default username and password - ie: I'm now a bit suck..

Any guidance on how to find the Debian10 username and password for this image would be greatly appreciated, and also would like to have it confirmed that this is the correct download?

Once I'm logged in, I assume I follow the auto start guidance as detailed in the opening post?:

Many thanks, Scott.

Re: 

embyuser98

Im trying to use Emby theatre in arch linux. I installed it from the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emby-theater-bin/.

It builds fine but when I launch ET it only shows a black screen! Am I missing something (even tried building it without AUR-helper)? Also tried the appimage mentioned a few posts ago with the same result.

Edited by embyuser98

19 minutes ago, embyuser98 said:

Im trying to use Emby theatre in arch linux. I installed it from the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emby-theater-bin/.

It builds fine but when I launch ET it only shows a black screen! Am I missing something (even tried building it without AUR-helper)? Also tried the appimage mentioned a few posts ago with the same result.

Hi, we're not the ones packaging that, so I don't have answers for you, but in the near future we're hoping to start producing packages for all of the same platforms that we do for the server.

• Like 1

HI @Luke, do you have a build process for the current releases.

It doesn't seem to work (tested on Ubuntu 20.04, and Fedora 32) with the current codebase while doing the following :

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron.git
de emby-theater-electron
npm install
npm start

The Electron app starts, but playback doesn't work (black screen), am I missing something ?

The .deb from the release works however.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:18 AM, Azor said:

HI @Luke, do you have a build process for the current releases.

It doesn't seem to work (tested on Ubuntu 20.04, and Fedora 32) with the current codebase while doing the following :

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron.git
de emby-theater-electron
npm install
npm start

The Electron app starts, but playback doesn't work (black screen), am I missing something ?

The .deb from the release works however.

We should have a documented build process for you to build it, but we just don't right now. Things have moved quickly lately and we just haven't documented it yet. I'll add it to the list.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, negativzeroe said:

@Luke is there a ppa for the official release? I'm only seeing the .deb downloads.

That's what we have for now but please see my recent previous responses. Thanks.

negativzeroe
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's what we have for now but please see my recent previous responses. Thanks.

Yeah I see where you mention hoping to get streamlined across distros and such, just thought I'd ask as I just moved from Arch to Ubuntu and am modifying my restore-data script.

BadPlayer

Hello, I tried to run this on my ElementaryOS (ubuntu basically) but I get the play-back error.

I looked through the thread and the problem was mentioned a couple of times but I didn't find the solution.

Here is the error in the console :

emby-theater
(electron) The default value of app.allowRendererProcessReuse is deprecated, it is currently "false".  It will change to be "true" in Electron 9.  For more information please check https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397
Initializing cec-client...

{
  cecExePath: 'cec-client',
  cecEmitter: EventEmitter {
    _events: [Object: null prototype] {},
    _eventsCount: 0,
    _maxListeners: undefined
  },
  cecHdmiPort: 'null'
}
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:59991
starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000
cec-client exited with code 1
timer expired 0 servers received
[]
fs access result for path: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, access '/data/TV/TV/The Walking Dead (2010)/Season 02/The Walking Dead S02E05 Chupacabra (1080p x265 Joy).mkv'

Here is what I find if I run   ldd /usr/lib/emby-theater/libmpv.so.1 | grep "not found"

/usr/lib/emby-theater/libmpv.so.1: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/emby-theater/libmpv.so.1)
/usr/lib/emby-theater/libmpv.so.1: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/lib/emby-theater/libmpv.so.1)

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but can anyone help me?

53 minutes ago, BadPlayer said:

Hello, I tried to run this on my ElementaryOS (ubuntu basically) but I get the play-back error.

I looked through the thread and the problem was mentioned a couple of times but I didn't find the solution.

Here is the error in the console :

Here is what I find if I run   ldd /usr/lib/emby-theater/libmpv.so.1 | grep "not found"

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but can anyone help me?

Hi, did you install using the instructions in the first post?

BadPlayer
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you install using the instructions in the first post?

Yeah except the step about raspberry pi, I use a normal intel Laptop

I only used

sudo apt install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.12_amd64.deb

1 minute ago, BadPlayer said:

Yeah except the step about raspberry pi, I use a normal intel Laptop

I only used

Ok we haven't tested yet with elementaryos. There could be an issue with that.

BadPlayer
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

I see. For information I'm running eOS 5.1.7 Hera built on Ububtu 18.04.4 LTS.

Thanks anyway!

BadPlayer
On 7/5/2020 at 10:30 PM, pXius said:

Using the latest deb install (x64), on Pop_OS (pretty much ubuntu), I can't play any video files. Just get a spinning wheel with the error message on screen "Couldnt load Plugin".

Any ideas? 

On 8/22/2020 at 4:12 AM, Luke said:

@pXius @dedyms the issue is in your mpv.conf file. You need to have libmpv as the video output device, not gpu. hwdec is supported using libmpv you just need to have the correct va library's installed for your video card.

I have the same problem. Do I need to install mvp?

I don't have it installed ( never did sudo apt install mvp )

Edited by BadPlayer

57 minutes ago, BadPlayer said:

I have the same problem. Do I need to install mvp?

I don't have it installed ( never did sudo apt install mvp )

No, you need to follow the instructions in the first post.

BadPlayer
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, you need to follow the instructions in the first post.

I see no instructions on the first post. It only says to install the deb file.

The stuff about raspberry does not concern me I dont have it. I also asume the stuff about autostart doesnt either Beause the first command doesnt find any files.

are we talking about the sane first post?

Edited by BadPlayer

SHSPVR
2 hours ago, BadPlayer said:

I see no instructions on the first post. It only says to install the deb file.

The stuff about raspberry does not concern me I dont have it. I also asume the stuff about autostart doesnt either Beause the first command doesnt find any files.

are we talking about the sane first post?

It easy as eating Apple Pie run from the terminal window

wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater_3.0.12_amd64.deb

that all

Edited by SHSPVR

BadPlayer
35 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

It easy as eating Apple Pie run from the terminal window

wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater_3.0.12_amd64.deb

that all

I'm really not sure why people think I haven't done that.. I keep saying I did since my first reply.

When you guys say "instructions" it kinda implies there was more to do than running a sudo apt install and this is why I was confused.

To conclude, even though I find it weird since elementaryOS is basically ubuntu,  what Luke said is probably correct :

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Anyway, thank you both for answering me.    I'll just use my browser to stream it's no big deal.

Have a nice day/evening

Edited by BadPlayer

SHSPVR
On 11/19/2020 at 5:17 PM, BadPlayer said:

I'm really not sure why people think I haven't done that.. I keep saying I did since my first reply.

When you guys say "instructions" it kinda implies there was more to do than running a sudo apt install and this is why I was confused.

You said you I see no instructions on the first post. It only says to install the deb file which is the instructions but if your missing mvp then should install it keep in mind ever distro is diff.

first do this in the terminal mpv --version if nothing come back then
sudo apt update
sudo apt install mpv

Edited by SHSPVR

BadPlayer
15 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

You said you I see no instructions on the first post. It only says to install the deb file which is the instructions but if your missing mvp then should install it keep ever distro is diff.

first do this in the terminal mpv --version if nothing come back then
sudo apt update
sudo apt install mpv

I didn't have mpv installed.

I installed it but it doesn't change anything sadly. I still get the same problem when I try to play a video : "couldn't load plugin".

hkK6FFl.png

Edited by BadPlayer