Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

Riggs

Great job with this, I asking a long time ago for this for Linux.

Works great in Arch

I founded because the new look of the download section, great job, 

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Great job with this, I asking a long time ago for this for Linux.

Works great in Arch

I founded because the new look of the download section, great job, 

Thanks! 

Thanks for the feedback !

Great news, the arm64 architecture is now supported. The build in the first post has been updated with a new package for that. Thanks guys.

• Thanks 1

MediaMogal
8 hours ago, Riggs said:

BTW it is in the Arch AUR repository

By the way I have looked at the first post in both the theater AND server section and Emby Theater Arch install is not listed on either, as for the one in AUR doesn't work at present.  

On 12/22/2016 at 11:04 AM, xnappo said:

Raspberry Pi Image

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.12.zip

This is an image that will launch straight into Emby Theater. If there is no network connection then raspi-config is launched allowing users to connect to a network.

Or, you can also use the armhf image below with any debian based distro. After installing the Emby Theater .deb, please run the following:

rpi-update
dist-upgrade

Armhf (Debian based distros)

Download: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater_3.0.12_armhf.deb

Then install:

sudo apt install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.12_armhf.deb

Then, if you're on Raspberry Pi:

sudo rpi-update
reboot  

Run:

emby-theater

X64 (Debian based distros)

Download: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater_3.0.12_amd64.deb

Then install:

sudo apt install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.12_amd64.deb

sudo rpi-update
reboot   

Run:

emby-theater

Arm64 (Debian based distros)

Download: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.12/emby-theater_3.0.12_arm64.deb

Then install:

sudo apt install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.12_arm64.deb

sudo rpi-update
reboot   

Run:

emby-theater

Auto-Start

Locate the autostart file:

~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
If LXDE-pi is missing then copy it from:

/etc/xdg/lxsession/
Add this line to the end of the autostart file:

@emby-theater

Edited by MediaMogal

Riggs
15 hours ago, MediaMogal said:

By the way I have looked at the first post in both the theater AND server section and Emby Theater Arch install is not listed on either, as for the one in AUR doesn't work at present.  

Yes, it works!

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emby-theater-bin

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/emby-theater-bin.git (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: emby-theater-bin
Description: An Electron app for Emby
Upstream URL: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron
Licenses: GPL2
Conflicts: emby-theater
Provides: emby-theater
Submitter: bboehmke
Maintainer: bboehmke
Last Packager: bboehmke
Votes: 3
Popularity: 1.52
First Submitted: 2020-07-27 19:30
Last Updated: 2020-10-03 07:47
  • Like 1

Just now, Emby Tower said:

Great Job, thanks a lot!

Is there any chance to get a RPM for Fedora?

Yes it's on our list. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

marcelhehle
51 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes it's on our list. Thanks for the feedback.

Luke, that would be a dream come true!!!

MediaMogal
On 10/7/2020 at 6:19 AM, Riggs said:

This is how looks in my computer 

766861411_Screenshotfrom2020-10-0709-19-19.thumb.png.ba2af2e821700941154aad5b5a7f8159.png

After your previous post decided today to give it another shot. Looks like it installed correctly this time. I'll know once I sign into it. Thanks

• Like 1

negativzeroe
On 10/12/2020 at 9:14 AM, Emby Tower said:

I will always install native packages, no conversions or container like Snap, Docker, Flatpak ...

Why? One of the best things about Linux is not being constrained like other ecosystems.

• Like 1

Emby Tower
On 10/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, negativzeroe said:

Why? One of the best things about Linux is not being constrained like other ecosystems.

Because I don't like the redundancy of files and packages in containers, then you always have duplicates of files and so on ...

And you never know if a converted RPM will be run smoothly like a native DEB, I don't trust them!

Before the hype with Docker & Co. we were happy with the package management systems in the Linux distros, but now suddenly it is not good enough?! I like APT and it will always be my favorite, much more than Docker ...

Edited by Emby Tower

negativzeroe
On 10/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, Emby Tower said:

Because I don't like the redundancy of files and packages in containers, then you always have duplicates of files and so on ...

And you never know if a converted RPM will be run smoothly like a native DEB, I don't trust them!

Before the hype with Docker & Co. we were happy with the package management systems in the Linux distros, but now suddenly it is not good enough?! I like APT and it will always be my favorite, much more than Docker ...

Idk about you but to my recollection of a decade and a half or so, fragmentation and packages for different distros has always been an issue. I get that you don't like extra overhead, I don't either, but I would much rather have an app be a flatpak or snap than not at all. MS teams is a perfect example. It downloads the things it needs and tbh you would be downloadinf dependencies anyway from a native install.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:22 AM, Luke said:

@mprasil can you please attach the mpv log? instructions are here:

Thanks.

Hi @Luke,

I an getting the same exact issues, no playback at all when using the latest version, while it works with 3.0.11.
I never manage to reach the 'Play URL :' part of the logs, which works on 3.0.11.

I do not get anything in the mpv logfile, as mpv is never even invoked.

Log from a npm start :

❯ npm start          

> emby-theater@3.0.12 start /opt/emby-theater-electron
> electron main.js

(electron) The default value of app.allowRendererProcessReuse is deprecated, it is currently "false".  It will change to be "true" in Electron 9.  For more information please check https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397
Initializing cec-client...

{
  cecExePath: 'cec-client',
  cecEmitter: EventEmitter {
    _events: [Object: null prototype] {},
    _eventsCount: 0,
    _maxListeners: undefined
  },
  cecHdmiPort: ''
}
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:33432
starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000
cec-client exited with code 1
timer expired 0 servers received
[]
fs access result for path: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, access '/data/tvshow/The Simpsons/Season 9/The Simpsons - S09E17 - Lisa the Simpson.mp4'

I am also looking to create a PR to add AppImage support (it works, but I am having the same issue of no-playback on my Fedora) once it is fixed.

3 minutes ago, Azor said:

Hi @Luke,

I an getting the same exact issues, no playback at all when using the latest version, while it works with 3.0.11.
I never manage to reach the 'Play URL :' part of the logs, which works on 3.0.11.

I do not get anything in the mpv logfile, as mpv is never even invoked.

Log from a npm start :

❯ npm start          

> emby-theater@3.0.12 start /opt/emby-theater-electron
> electron main.js

(electron) The default value of app.allowRendererProcessReuse is deprecated, it is currently "false".  It will change to be "true" in Electron 9.  For more information please check https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397
Initializing cec-client...

{
  cecExePath: 'cec-client',
  cecEmitter: EventEmitter {
    _events: [Object: null prototype] {},
    _eventsCount: 0,
    _maxListeners: undefined
  },
  cecHdmiPort: ''
}
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:33432
starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000
cec-client exited with code 1
timer expired 0 servers received
[]
fs access result for path: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, access '/data/tvshow/The Simpsons/Season 9/The Simpsons - S09E17 - Lisa the Simpson.mp4'

I am also looking to create a PR to add AppImage support (it works, but I am having the same issue of no-playback on my Fedora) once it is fixed.

How did you install?

Simple git clone from the repo, and `npm install`

Same process worked with 3.0.11.

❯ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:	:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch
Distributor ID:	Fedora
Description:	Fedora release 32 (Thirty Two)
Release:	32
Codename:	ThirtyTwo

3 minutes ago, Azor said:

Simple git clone from the repo, and `npm install`

Same process worked with 3.0.11.

❯ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:	:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch
Distributor ID:	Fedora
Description:	Fedora release 32 (Thirty Two)
Release:	32
Codename:	ThirtyTwo

Can you try one of the supported install methods listed in the first post? Thanks.

Sadly Fedora is not a Debian based distros so I cannot install the .deb (I could convert it with Alien, but that would probablt defeat the purpose) which is why I was running it directly through `npm start`.

To add some more info, adding `mpv` as an external player works, but of course we lose the OSD

I've also tried to create both an AppImage, and a RPM using electron-builder, both end up having the same problem

Edited by Azor
adding info

Is there a way to make the app more verbose ?
I've already enabled the dev tools with

var enableDevToolsOnStartup = true;
var initialShowEventsComplete = true;

But I don't see much differences between the two versions :

When running 3.0.12 :

apiclient.js?_sw-precache=dc4ff629727575a44daed00a1900c01b:1 apiclient.fetchWithFailover https://myembyserver.com:443/Shows/12747/Episodes?IsVirtualUnaired=false&IsMissing=false&UserId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&Fields=Chapters%2CProductionYear%2CPremiereDate&X-Emby-Client=Electron&X-Emby-Device-Name=device-name&X-Emby-Device-Id=device-name&X-Emby-Client-Version=8.5.2&X-Emby-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
registrationservices.js?_sw-precache=26912daeafa40cd80639e6b341cb1c6b:1 validateFeature: playback
connectionmanager.js?_sw-precache=7c063a2b97c10d50c4b6e405a81ace61:1 getRegistrationInfo returning cached info

And then nothing.

While on 3.0.11, we have the same exact calls (with the same responses as well), but then router.js is called and the video loads

@Luke: Would you prefer discussing the issue on Github or is the forum fine ?