Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all!

When will version 3.0.11 be built for Linux?

The build in the first post is updated now with 3.0.11. Thanks !

GrotShot

Hi,

Just received a Pi 4 2Gb kit from PiHut this afternoon and have followed the official Raspbian full setup documentation on the Raspberrypi website.

Once all that was done and working, I have attempted to follow the instructions in the first post using the armhf.deb file downloaded via chromium to home/pi/Downloads.

I ran "sudo apt install -f /home/pi/Downloads/emby-theater_3.0.11_armhf.deb" and it appeared to do stuff in the command window and then ran "sudo rpi-update" and

"reboot".

Once re-booted, I can run Emby-Theater directly from the Run command or from Menu | Accessories | Emby Theater and I mostly get a completely blank white screen and occasionally get a black screen with the Emby logo. That's it - nothing else!!! Not much use really.

If I navigate to the Server Dashboard in Chromium then I can see my libraries and even select a movie to play which it does in the browser.

Clearly being a Windows software developer I have missed something with the linux'isms of the instructions. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Just received a Pi 4 2Gb kit from PiHut this afternoon and have followed the official Raspbian full setup documentation on the Raspberrypi website.

Once all that was done and working, I have attempted to follow the instructions in the first post using the armhf.deb file downloaded via chromium to home/pi/Downloads.

I ran "sudo apt install -f /home/pi/Downloads/emby-theater_3.0.11_armhf.deb" and it appeared to do stuff in the command window and then ran "sudo rpi-update" and

"reboot".

Once re-booted, I can run Emby-Theater directly from the Run command or from Menu | Accessories | Emby Theater and I mostly get a completely blank white screen and occasionally get a black screen with the Emby logo. That's it - nothing else!!! Not much use really.

If I navigate to the Server Dashboard in Chromium then I can see my libraries and even select a movie to play which it does in the browser.

Clearly being a Windows software developer I have missed something with the linux'isms of the instructions. Any help would be appreciated.

We'll respond in your topic: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/84488-new-raspberry-pi-4-raspbian-emby-theater-not-working/?view=findpost&p=865114

Thanks.

The Linux and RPI builds have been updated with a fix that was causing a startup problem in some environments. If you were impacted then please install it again on top of your existing version. Thanks.

You're essentially hijacking this thread for your own silly, off-topic agenda.

You forgot to mention Windows and macOS. None of these are FreeBSD, though. They're just based on FreeBSD. Furthermore, exactly zero people on the Earth have interest running Emby Theater on their Juniper router or on Netflix' servers. Sony and Nintendo make sense, but they'd be separate ports anyway.

You mentioned audiophiles. That's another breed of retards. If they'd do double blind tests, they can't even figure 192 mbit MP3 from 320 kbit. The reason streaming services sound worse is due to watermarks. These are easily audible.

Emby player for Mac OS: 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/84973-emby-for-mac-os-testing/

Enjoy.

• Like 1

SwanStream

Hey y'all. Just gave the rasp pi 4 2gb a try with the 2020-4-5 image and it's surprisingly nice. Got the ol' mc ir remote to work out of the box (nice touch), seems to play what I ask of it, but with 4k x.265 video it does seem to struggle, frame to frame is slow, choppy, etc. So I'm back to the monster PC to handle my daily vegitative state for now, but wanted to report back as an fyi to the devs and see if there was something obvious I'm missing? It's asking alot of a little unit I know, so not complaining... audio stream is atmos or dtx without changing the issue (and audio does play... choppily) too. 

Cheers guys.

Hey y'all. Just gave the rasp pi 4 2gb a try with the 2020-4-5 image and it's surprisingly nice. Got the ol' mc ir remote to work out of the box (nice touch), seems to play what I ask of it, but with 4k x.265 video it does seem to struggle, frame to frame is slow, choppy, etc. So I'm back to the monster PC to handle my daily vegitative state for now, but wanted to report back as an fyi to the devs and see if there was something obvious I'm missing? It's asking alot of a little unit I know, so not complaining... audio stream is atmos or dtx without changing the issue (and audio does play... choppily) too. 

Cheers guys.

Is that supposed to be able to handle 4k hevc?

alxscott

Morning all,

Hope everyone is well all things considered currently.

Interested to try Emby Theatre on a Orange Pi 3 I have sitting around ( 4k Capable with Kernel 5.2).

Download and installed Armbian Stretch 5.2. Updated and Installed default Desktop Environment.

Downloaded first linked Armhf and installed using stated method : sudo apt install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.11_armhf.deb

Rebooted and tried running emby-theater and it failed stating missing dependency : libasound2.so ( From memory; the wife and kids are up so can't use the TV right now!)

I ran apt-file search and the package required was currently installed.

To cut to the chase; is there a list of dependencies that may need installing prior to package install which may be missed by the depended check / any library linking? And is the a better ditto to use? I tried Ubuntu Bionic first time around and it threw a similar, but different, missing library ( X-org related if memory serves! I went back to Debian as it is official supported by Armbian)

I know its not ideal quoting from memory but I won't be able to get my Geek on till tonight when daughter is in bed and wife is in the bath! 

Thanks

Thor.2

I am having major issues with the built in MPV player. It seems to never or rarely allow for hardware acceleration constantly freezing up my RPI 3+ boxes. I've tried to use omxplayer (external) and it hardware accelerates every time but I can't get any key inputs to work and I get hung up and need to reboot to stop. Is there any commands I need to add?

Mlawiste

Hi,

I can't find a way to login like Android TV or Windows App by access to emby.media/pin and find a PIN to fill.

I can't login with Emby Connect.

Edited by Mlawiste

Thor.2

I am also having issues with the cec-client, the osd/Gui goes to sleep and cannot be revived by CEC inputs.

I am running directly from the raspberry Pi image. On a Raspberry Pi 3 B. Which I had been using for years with openelec then libreelec. I've always had hardware acceleration and have purchased the pi keys.

Can you please consider building for Pi with omxplayer as the default player, fix the osd/Gui overlay, and have theater respond to the CEC inputs when sleeping.

This is so close to being the best option for an tv emby client!

Thor.2
Raspberry Pi 3 B

connected to Panasonic TV

Emby Theater RPI build 3.0.11

cec-client issues

- button presses sometimes work but dont respond properly most of the time

- ran the cec-client and there are no issues at all with any of the button presses

- reviewed the command-map.js in the /usr/lib/emby-theater/resources/app/cec folder and everything appears to be mapped correctly

- mostly just get a black screen and ill have to get a keyboard hooked up to get started again

mpv player

- high CPU usage on all types of media

- only 50% success rate on any mpeg2 content, overloads CPU and emby crashes, have to quit and try again sometimes 3-4 times and every once in awhile it never works

- tryed using omxplayer externally and have no playback issues and much lower CPU usage but I cant control at all 

Here is an example of trying to play from HDHomeRun source MPEG2

top - 06:51:47 up 12:31,  3 users,  load average: 3.41, 3.38, 2.21

Tasks: 132 total,   2 running, 130 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

%Cpu(s): 67.0 us,  8.0 sy,  0.0 ni, 24.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.5 si,  0.0 st

MiB Mem :    747.6 total,     28.4 free,    441.2 used,    278.1 buff/cache

MiB Swap:    100.0 total,      0.2 free,     99.8 used.     85.7 avail Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND

2865 pi        20   0  579332 291600  25480 R 278.6  38.1  34:14.53 mpv

What can be done to remedy these problems?

Can you write in omxplayer into the code so it can be used an controlled even as an optional player?

The CEC issues are a huge problem, ive tried usb remotes but they are garbage and get interference from other devices

I tried Android TV and Roku boxes but they both had several issues as well with media playback and forcing the server to transcode which I dont want happening on a regular basis

I am a paying subscriber to Premier and if these cant be resolved Ill have to move back to other solutions.

Cheers

Edited by Thor.2

Thor.2

CEC only works until the screen goes blank or after about 2mins without a button press. If I keep a keyboard connected and press one button to revive, CEC works again until the next timeout

Edited by Thor.2

The build in the first post is updated with 3.0.12. This should finally resolve the video OSD transparency problem. Please try it out, thanks !

Thor.2

Video playback for all video types is now unplayable, only a couple of frames freezing up.

CEC looks better but the exit/back key doesn't do anything, the enter key does not work in sub menus, ie in the profile menus and settings during video playback.

Edited by Thor.2

GrotShot

Armhf.deb 3.0.12 installed on Pi 4 running Raspbian Buster with screen resolution of 4k60:

• Under Video settings, no hardware acceleration option for RPI / RPI copy back as there is on Windows ET. Video playback stutters badly on Auto along with every other option.
  • Under Audio settings, 5.1 speaker layout selected and AC3 & DTS pass through enabled. No audio pass through to amp when either of these audio tracks are playing.

heimer

I haven't read through this thread but how far along is development? I'm using an arch distro so the .deb package won't work for me. I'm getting sick and tired of emby on Kodi... Can we expect Emby theater in our package managers in 2020?

I haven't read through this thread but how far along is development? I'm using an arch distro so the .deb package won't work for me. I'm getting sick and tired of emby on Kodi... Can we expect Emby theater in our package managers in 2020?

It's something we'd like to do, yes.

• 3 weeks later...
sybold

updated my pi3b to 3.0.12, all files play with a lot of stuttering.

reverted back to 3.0.11, play's much smoother.

what changed?