Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

speedingcheetah

How to install Emby Theater in Manjaro Linux?

The .deb just opens with a Archive Manager.

The CLI gives "sudo: apt: command not found

Up to this point we haven't tested Manjaro ourselves so I'm not sure at this time, but we can try to look at it in the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

speedingcheetah

Up to this point we haven't tested Manjaro ourselves so I'm not sure at this time, but we can try to look at it in the future. Thanks.

It is far better, imo, and by the die hard Linux users I know, than Ubuntu, Fedora etc..

I have been playing around with it, it has a HUGE collection of community packages and software, far more than Ubuntu it seems.

the Emby SERVER is there to be installed(stable version only).....but not Theater.

Manjaro just works and runs better and has far more tweak-able options and constant updates.

But alas, it seems that despite the huge collection of community software available, the big name companies and softwares that do have a version for linux, do not so for Arch based (non Debian) distros, a real shame, as I am told, Arch is at is core, far better designed, maintained and stable than the rest. Arch is not for beginners i am told, so maybe that scares aways most.

Edited by speedingcheetah

ellnic

Sorry but that’s a crock of junk. I use regularly or have used: Debian, Ubuntu, Arch/Manjaro, Oracle/Centos/Redhat and Suse so I am familiar with quite a few of the main players.

A huge collection of community packages:

Pros: freshly compiled software for just about anything

Cons: possibility for less stability, not moderated, security, compatibility.

Far more than Ubuntu: Debian (and derivatives) and Arch (and derivatives) have probably the most. This includes Ubuntu and Manjaro respectively. There’s not much in it. More people package for Debian/Ubuntu as a first step, though.

Manjaro just works: so does Debian (and surprisingly recent Ubuntus) and RH and Suse. Just cos you installed a buggy Ubuntu beta once and it had a fit with your GPU doesn’t mean everything else is junk.

Runs better: for what? Servers? Don’t think so. Manjaro is not problem free. Don’t update your Manjaro box for 1 month then Syu it. See what happens.

Far more tweakable: via a couple of extra GUIs? Ok, whatever floats your boat. All Linux is tweakable. That’s the whole damn point.

Constant updates: newer is not always better. If you think so then you are mistaken. It depends on your use case. Debian receives fixes and updates it just doesn’t jump to the latest versions at the drop of a hat. There are major benefits to this depending on what you’re doing.

Huge collection of software but not big names: there’s a reason for this... think. Corporate and most companies do RPMs and DEBs first and most stop there.

Better designed: for WHAT? Rock solid data centres? Cloud? No. Gaming, cutting edge, yes. Manjaro over Fedora any day.

Maintained: you’re starting to sound ridiculous now. You believe Manjaro is better maintained than Debian because some guys threw some pkg builds together? I’m not dissing arch but you don’t see it powering as many servers as Debian by a long shot.

And stable: Manjaro / Arch is more stable than Debian?? What planet are you on? Even the hardcore arch guys who are adamant it’s stable enough would probably still agree that a frozen package set is even more stable.

Than the rest: you have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of hundreds of distros do you?

Arch is not for beginners: au contraire, depending on your stance!

TLDR: I’m not anti Manjaro/Arch (I run Manjaro too) but what you’ve just said shows a complete lack of knowledge around Debian and Manjaro, and comes across as the ramblings of someone who is just annoyed that some alpha app isn’t available on their chosen distro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedingcheetah

Sorry but that’s a crock of junk. I use regularly or have used: Debian, Ubuntu, Arch/Manjaro, Oracle/Centos/Redhat and Suse so I am familiar with quite a few of the main players.

A huge collection of community packages:

Pros: freshly compiled software for just about anything

Cons: possibility for less stability, not moderated, security, compatibility.

Far more than Ubuntu: Debian (and derivatives) and Arch (and derivatives) have probably the most. This includes Ubuntu and Manjaro respectively. There’s not much in it. More people package for Debian/Ubuntu as a first step, though.

Manjaro just works: so does Debian (and surprisingly recent Ubuntus) and RH and Suse. Just cos you installed a buggy Ubuntu beta once and it had a fit with your GPU doesn’t mean everything else is junk.

Runs better: for what? Servers? Don’t think so. Manjaro is not problem free. Don’t update your Manjaro box for 1 month then Syu it. See what happens.

Far more tweakable: via a couple of extra GUIs? Ok, whatever floats your boat. All Linux is tweakable. That’s the whole damn point.

Constant updates: newer is not always better. If you think so then you are mistaken. It depends on your use case. Debian receives fixes and updates it just doesn’t jump to the latest versions at the drop of a hat. There are major benefits to this depending on what you’re doing.

Huge collection of software but not big names: there’s a reason for this... think. Corporate and most companies do RPMs and DEBs first and most stop there.

Better designed: for WHAT? Rock solid data centres? Cloud? No. Gaming, cutting edge, yes. Manjaro over Fedora any day.

Maintained: you’re starting to sound ridiculous now. You believe Manjaro is better maintained than Debian because some guys threw some pkg builds together? I’m not dissing arch but you don’t see it powering as many servers as Debian by a long shot.

And stable: Manjaro / Arch is more stable than Debian?? What planet are you on? Even the hardcore arch guys who are adamant it’s stable enough would probably still agree that a frozen package set is even more stable.

Than the rest: you have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of hundreds of distros do you?

Arch is not for beginners: au contraire, depending on your stance!

TLDR: I’m not anti Manjaro/Arch (I run Manjaro too) but what you’ve just said shows a complete lack of knowledge around Debian and Manjaro, and comes across as the ramblings of someone who is just annoyed that some alpha app isn’t available on their chosen distro.

I never claimed to be a expert on Linux if u read properly my post, hence why I said "as I have been told"....i used Linux over a decade ago in my college programming classes  and on the last few years special distros made for repair and password resets and network penetration test etc.

I still keep in contact with some of my programmers classmates and one college instructor, who has a Doctorate in this stuff... Also one of my cowokers who is heavy into Linux has been for over 20 yrs.

Manjaro from my own personal testing and use on the hardware I want to install it in, so far, is the smoothest and works well. I like is a bit more than the others i am testing. It is more recommended and praised over Mint by every single of my contacts on various forums and discord servers too etc. As far as what u know they now, I know...make no difference here on the topic of Theater.

Ubuntu IS the most popular distro and base...i never denied that. That is why is is hard to use something less common.

Or is it???   Not that this means much but according to Distro watch for the last 6 months...Manjaro is #2 ...Ubuntu #5. 

The point I am here is not to argue which linux is "better" but to express that I wish to use said version of it but it has no support for the software I wish to use on it "Emby Theater"......and a few others that is not relevant to this forum.

Edited by speedingcheetah

ellnic

Wow. Thanks for that. Maybe your doctorate friend can compile it for you if your programming skills are rusty. Cheers. :-)

speedingcheetah

Wow. Thanks for that. Maybe your doctorate friend can compile it for you if your programming skills are rusty. Cheers. :-)

No need  :P  Manjaro already is compiled and ready to use Arch based distro and has many desktop UI versions... they have their Architect version where one builds everything manually I surmise...not for me. I am not a programmer, and never claimed to be.

ellnic

Manjaro’s already compiled? I never knew that.. You learn something everyday.

Edited by ellnic

speedingcheetah

O!  I just stumbled across Solus.  Its Budgie desktop UI is super slick (the also have MATE and GOME version). very much like this distro....however...

Solus is its own Linux it seems....not based on anything else.

So, I guess the chance of Emby Theater support is minimal for Solus?

speedingcheetah

I guess no updates or way to fix the black screen when OSD is up on Linux in Theater as of yet...been a while.

I know Luke is busy with always working on the Server....there currently is issue with the last several betas that are more pressing that getting this issue in Theater fixed....

Until then, I am just suffering use Kodi and the HDHRun app for Live TV.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the .deb files in the first post with 3.0.9. This now brings RPI4 compatibility so please try that out. We'll have the RPI image updated shortly. Thanks.

speedingcheetah

I've updated the .deb files in the first post with 3.0.9. This now brings RPI4 compatibility so please try that out. We'll have the RPI image updated shortly. Thanks.

Fix for black screen issue?

Fix for black screen issue?

It is only when the video OSD is active, correct?

speedingcheetah

It is only when the video OSD is active, correct?

when even u move the mouse or do anything including the osd yes.

It causes havoc with live tv, as it causes the stream to stop and have to rebuffer. it has caused a tuner lock a few times.

several times, the stream never recovers.

Hi, 

What is the best/recommended image to use for ET please? I have just got a RPi4 and it's only purpose is an Embi Client..

Thank you!

Edited by mandj

Hi, 

What is the best/recommended image to use for ET please? I have just got a RPi4 and it's only purpose is an Embi Client..

Thank you!

Instructions are in the first post. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks. hi

Instructions are in the first post. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks. hi

Apologies, I mis-read the 1st post initially, 

Many Thanks

Hi,

I have installed the image & it is very very snappy! works really well except the following problems, Please accept my apologies if this is something I have done, I have only owned my Pi for half a day & this is the 1st time I have used one!

1, Playing a Live TV Recording in progress I just get a spinning circle (other devices play exact recording at the same time)

2, Live TV pause does not work as the screen just goes black when I move the mouse and the program carries on (this is on Direct Play) if I set the stream to transcode it behaves better but I still get the black screen when pausing or moving the mouse.(Same as @speedingcheetah)

3, 4K Movies are running at about 5 FPS (Again, other devices work fine)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mandj

Hi,

I have installed the image & it is very very snappy! works really well except the following problems, Please accept my apologies if this is something I have done, I have only owned my Pi for half a day & this is the 1st time I have used one!

1, Playing a Live TV Recording in progress I just get a spinning circle (other devices play exact recording at the same time)

2, Live TV pause does not work as the screen just goes black when I move the mouse and the program carries on (this is on Direct Play) if I set the stream to transcode it behaves better but I still get the black screen when pausing or moving the mouse.(Same as @speedingcheetah)

3, 4K Movies are running at about 5 FPS (Again, other devices work fine)

Thanks in advance!

Hi, can we look at an example of these? Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Too many flavours of Linux to support. Only one flavour of native FreeBSD to support though.  :P  I was going to ask, but glancing through this thread I will ask Santa instead.  :)

Would be awesome if we could build our own FreeBSD / Linux home threatre box.  Sometimes I wonder, if more R&D should go into a home threatre product than the ever changing smart TV gaming consoles market.  I know a lot of people don't know how to build their own box but folks like us could help them in this or other forums. Plus audophiles like me could......hmmmm, an app made for those network connected receivers like Onkyo would be something for home threatre.

I'm getting off topic now, but as I right this I am listening to FLAC based music, streaming through my networked Onkyo receiver, using Emby DLNA. Sounds amazing as it should.

Fnordje

Too many flavours of Linux to support. Only one flavour of native FreeBSD to support though.  :P  I was going to ask, but glancing through this thread I will ask Santa instead.  :)

Basically, "nobody" uses FreeBSD. These flavours of Linux supported you're complaining about? Probably used more than the FreeBSD port...

FreeBSD_Lover

Basically, "nobody" uses FreeBSD. These flavours of Linux supported you're complaining about? Probably used more than the FreeBSD port...

Sure.

Try Juniper (their big iron routers, switches, and firewalls).

Try Sony (their PS3 and PS4)

Try Nitendo (their Switch console)

Try Netflix (their CDN they built to deliver their content)

Lots of people use FreeBSD and many tweak the OS and rename it to their own product because the licensing works in their favour to do that.

Don't kid yourself. Yeah it might be a lot less then all the Linux versions added up, but FreeBSD is out there doing a lot of under-the-radar heavy-duty work.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

Emby Theater for me on Ubuntu 18.03 LTS It is just display a black screen when first playing a video but soon OSD is gone I see the video

What is sudo rpi-update for if I'm on Ubuntu 

Edited by SHSPVR