Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

I did a clean install followed instructions but enabling rpi-copy everything is slow motion but it is deinterlacing. When you choose rpi it start very slow then you get a blank screen and then it starts playing normally but it doesn't deinterlace. Similar issue what I have in windows machine to deinterlace I have to use the something-copy but it struggles. 

The CPU spikes up to 90% when it is on rpi copy back.

With rpi copy back with deinterlace set to no sd video is playing at normal speed but h264 hd is start stop. 

The interface is not fluid as it was it is not jumpy but just feels slow moving from card to card.

When osd shows up the video can't be seen. 

Edited by denz

When osd shows up the video can't be seen. 

This is due to transparency effect limitations on the Pi.

Ok we've determined that the rpi-copy back option is not suitable for high bitrate content. For this you'll want to use the regular RPI gpu option, which will perform better. 

However, the copy back option is the only one that supports deinterlacing, so you may want to switch it for live tv and other interlaced content. We may need to add a smart option to make this easier so that you're not always having to toggle it prior to playback.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the builds in the first post with the 3.0.2 release of Emby Theater, as well as our new Raspberry Pi image that launches straight into the app!

Please try it out and report your experience, thanks !

Vidman

I've updated the builds in the first post with the 3.0.2 release of Emby Theater, as well as our new Raspberry Pi image that launches straight into the app!

Please try it out and report your experience, thanks !

For all models of raspberry pi?

haraldov

our new Raspberry Pi image that launches straight into the app

I have tested the image with a pi 3 and it works great. Thanks.

Issues I experience:

1) The time is wrong and the epg guide shows wrong time. I can change the regional settings with the raspi-config and fix this issue, but first I must login in as the pi user.

2) My MCE remote is working with a flirc dongle, but not very well. I think this is a skin issue. With a wireless keyboard ET is easy to navigate with. 

#1 is going to be expected behavior because we use system time zone settings. Maybe we can make this easier or at least improve documentation about it.

haraldov

Maybe we can make this easier or at least improve documentation about it. 

It should be easy to fix with raspi-config, but the users need to know the username and password. I used the default user pi and the same password as documented here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/usage/users.md

Documentation raspi-config: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/raspi-config.md

Edited by haraldov

daldana

This might have been asked somewhere before, but will the app update itself automatically? If not, is there a way to update if from the command line terminal or will it have to be reinstalled again? Thanks.

You just run the install command again, however areas of the app do auto-update. The only time there will be a package update is when there are changes related to the video player.

Armhf

Download: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.2/emby-theater_3.0.2_armhf.deb

Then install:

sudo apt install ./emby-theater_3.0.1_armhf.deb 

Armhf tested on Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, but should work on other armhf devices with a Debian based distro.

Hi, Just got a new pi3 B+, fresh Raspbian install but when I try to install I get 

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install ./emby-theater_3.0.2_armhf.deb
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unsupported file ./emby-theater_3.0.2_armhf.deb given on commandline
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

Try running sudo apt-get update

You may also need to do sudo rpi-update

Edited by denz

I had ran both of those commands before trying,  but I've moved onto the prepared Rpi image now, testing both to see how they both perform.

I've updated the build in the first post with the 3.0.3 release. It has fixes for HDMI-CEC, as well as updated install instructions for Raspberry Pi. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

rechner123

Hi, Just got a new pi3 B+, fresh Raspbian install but when I try to install I get 

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install ./emby-theater_3.0.2_armhf.deb

Reading package lists... Done

E: Unsupported file ./emby-theater_3.0.2_armhf.deb given on commandline

pi@raspberrypi:~ $

I have got this working with:

sudo dpkg -i Downloads/emby-theater_3.0.3_armhf.deb

Then i become an error that i have fixed with:

sudo apt install -f

Maybe this could help you and others

Hi guys,

anyone here using this on a daily basis? How are your experiences with streaming files and Live TV?

I am quite interested in this but unfortunately, I do not have RPI for testing this myself.

Especially interested if anyone is using this with a S905 box as this is how I would like to use this.

Any experience feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

@@Luke, thanks for feedback!

You haven't tested a S905 Box + Armbian + Emby for Linux so far, right? These boxes are almost as cheap as the RPI but have much more functionality (e.g. 4k, Wi-fi) than the RPI, that's why I am especially interested in this combination as it is more "future-proofed".

I gave this a try on my notebook (x64) using the live function of Ubuntu and there it didn't work that great tbh. But this might be related to the fact that it only was a live system and not fully installed on the HDD, I guess. If I have a couple of minutes I will give it a try on a Intel notebook as mine is AMD based.

Edited by neik

haraldov
You haven't tested a S905 Box + Armbian + Emby for Linux so far, right?

@@neik, I tried to use a Vero 4K box box with Emby and Armbian which has a s905x arm processor. The problem with this box is limited mpv hardware decoding support. It work great with Kodi which has this support with its internal player. 

• Like 1

You haven't tested a S905 Box + Armbian + Emby for Linux so far, right?

@@neik, I tried to use a Vero 4K box box with Emby and Armbian which has a s905x arm processor. The problem with this box is limited mpv hardware decoding support. It work great with Kodi which has this support with its internal player. 

Thanks mate!

It's a shame this boxes aren't well supported because they are capable of quite a lot.

Would you mind elaborate a bit what limited means? Were you able to decode 1080p/i content or did not even that work?

€dit: @@Luke, is it possible to use an external player which might support this SoC instead of the integrated mpv?

Edited by neik