Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

xnappo

Alright.

Thanks guys.  I think I can fix both in a not-so-beautiful way pretty quick.  Will take a look tonight.

xnappo

I believe #1 is now fixed in the Git - please pull it down and try it.  You should be able to put ET in the background now without it always coming to the top, and the OSD should still work correctly when video is playing.  Let me know.  Thanks to @ for pointing me in the right direction (and then dragging my nose to the water).

Edited by xnappo

clarkss12

I tried to install this to my Amlogic S905X arm device running Ubuntu 16.04.  My $40 Linux box runs OK, but thought I could get the ET running on it.  I am now running my Emby server running on it.

ET for Linux debug log.txt

clarkss12

Thanks, Xnappo, but the link does not work.  404.  Anyway I am a newbie at Linux, but not afraid of trying or learning...

xnappo

Thanks, Xnappo, but the link does not work.  404.  Anyway I am a newbie at Linux, but not afraid of trying or learning...

Yes - that is the point :) That was an error from your logfile.  If that doesn't install it isn't going to work.  Since it is ARM, you might trying the Raspberry Pi install instructions.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42760-emby-theater-on-raspberry-pi/

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

clarkss12

Thanks, Xnappo.
Tried the one you  referred to, but same issue.  Will continue to look for  a solution.

• 2 weeks later...
TrainAss

@@TrainAss - how fast is the channel changing?

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Still have to use the mouse to back out to the guide from a channel. When I selected a new channel (went from Ch.2 to Ch.23) it took about 11s from when I hit enter on Play until the video was displayed. I tried up/down and ch up/down on the remote and neither changed channels (wasn't sure if that was working, as I didn't see anything indicating as such).

haraldov

@@xnappo and @

I have tried LiveTV with ET for Linux (player mpv) and ET for rpi (player omxplayer).

mpv "http://192.168.9.1:9981/stream/channelid/1332783438&profile=htsp" 
or with
omxplayer "http://192.168.9.1:9981/stream/channelid/1332783438&profile=htsp"

When I play the direct htsp stream from the tvheadend server with mpv I get the tvpicture after 4-5 seconds.

With omxplayer it takes 9-10 seconds.

When I use ET for Linux to play the same channel from Emby Server Versjon 3.1.5.0 (Ubuntu) it takes 8-9 seconds to get the tvpicture.

With ET for rpi it takes 14-15 seconds.

Resources used with ET for rpi (omxplayer) on raspberry pi 3 when playing the channel:

top - 18:13:29 up  2:03,  2 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.59, 0.45
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 135 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
%Cpu(s):  6.0 us,  2.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 91.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.7 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:    752852 total,   542216 used,   210636 free,    24756 buffers
KiB Swap:   102396 total,        0 used,   102396 free.   318088 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 4670 pi        20   0  144124  25740  15476 S  19.5  3.4   0:06.54 omxplayer.bin
 4493 pi        20   0  389868 151208  74296 S  11.9 20.1   1:04.07 electron
 4469 pi        20   0  456640  77696  55444 S   8.9 10.3   0:35.70 electron

Resources used with ET for linux (mpv) on raspberry pi 3 when playing the channel:

top - 18:18:20 up  2:07,  2 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.52, 0.44
Tasks: 138 total,   4 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
%Cpu(s): 16.6 us,  6.5 sy,  0.0 ni, 76.3 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.7 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:    752852 total,   577924 used,   174928 free,    24924 buffers
KiB Swap:   102396 total,        0 used,   102396 free.   318020 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 4778 pi        20   0  358172  41376  20776 R  31.8  5.5   0:04.52 mpv
 4789 pi        20   0  444960  82168  55864 R  22.9 10.9   0:20.99 electron
 4827 pi        20   0  398828 149924  73716 R  17.7 19.9   0:37.53 electron

From the Emby server logs it looks like Emby server have problem to find out if it should transcode the stream or use Directplay. 

Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate 
.....isEligibleForDirectPlay: False

Then it calls ffprobe which tells Emby that it should not transcode the stream and use DirectPlay

.....isEligibleForDirectPlay: True

I think this prosess increases the time it takes to get the tvpicture

EmbySrv-ET-Linux-with-mpv.txt

EmbySrv-ET-rpi-with-omxplayer.txt

omxplayer-play-nrk.log

mpv-play-nrk.log

haraldov

• No HDMI CEC work has been done (I don't have a device to debug with)

With ET for Linux I can not use the Samsung TV remote because cec has been disabled. ET for linux says that it can not find the cec-client. 

Initializing cec-client...

{ cecExePath: undefined,
  cecEmitter: 
   EventEmitter {
     domain: null,
     _events: {},
     _eventsCount: 0,
     _maxListeners: undefined } }
ERROR: cec-client not installed, running without cec functionality.

It works without problem with ET for rpi. I have installed the cec-utils package. 

pi@raspberrypi:~/emby-theater-linux $ whereis cec-client
cec-client: /usr/bin/cec-client /usr/share/man/man1/cec-client.1.gz

ETforLinux-cec.txt

Edited by haraldov

• 3 weeks later...
haraldov

I believe #1 is now fixed in the Git - please pull it down and try it.  You should be able to put ET in the background now without it always coming to the top, and the OSD should still work correctly when video is playing.

Tried to play Livetv and recorded movies and ET goes into the background, and the OSD shows when the movie starts but then disappears. When I want to seek into the video with the keyboard or the mouse the OSD do not come on the top of the movie. 

Extra info: All my testing with ET for linux has been done with a Raspberry pi 3 (arm processor) because I wanted to compare ET for linux using mpv and ET for pi using omxplayer. ET for linux should function much better on Intel processor with Linux.

Edited by haraldov

• 3 weeks later...

Updates are rolling out and you'll soon be able to use MB2-style alpha-numeric shortcuts. Enjoy.

58bc7a2266d4f_Untitled.png

I've pushed an update to the electron app. It's mostly an update to internal changes, so you'll want to grab the latest. Thanks !

thatoneguy99

Using the exact instructions to install to Ubuntu 16.10 I can load Emby, login, and select and play video. However the MPV player is in the background and I have to hit an ALT-TAB to switch to the player. The OSD of Emby does not show on top of the MPV video. Also is there a way to use a Harmony remote with IR receiver? Thank you!

Again awesome work so far!

denz

I have tried it on the pi but nothing plays I just get ghost osd and that is it but MPV works outside theater.

thatoneguy99

So it hasn't been figured out how to use MPV inside of Emby just yet?

Sent from my phone!

• 4 weeks later...
sansoo22

Just loaded this on a Lubuntu vm running in unRAID 6.  Here are my initial findings:

1. First time loading emby and playing a movie the playback and emby overlay were in 2 separate windows.  After killing the task and reloading it seems to have fixed itself

2. Transitions are a bit choppy but my vm only has 1core and 1GB of memory allocated to it.  Surprisingly it still plays movies at all.

3. LiveTV works but playback is a bit choppy.

4. Channel changing is quite responsive but it can take up to 10 seconds to play anything.  I have an older HDHomerun which is kind of a turd so that may be the reason for the delayed playback.

5. On lubuntu i had to install libgconf-2-4 myself

I'm actually quite impressed with this build so far.  I have no hardware acceleration enabled.  In fact my VM doesn't even have a GPU assigned to it at all and with a single core CPU and 1GB of RAM playback was just the tiniest bit choppy.  Hopefully later this evening I can increase the resources to this VM and allocate the nvidia GT210 i have sitting in the unRIAD box to it and do some more testing.

If anyone would like me to test additional linux distros with this I can.  The unRAID vm environment makes it quite simple to spin up additional VMs.