Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

daldana

Here's one fix for that problem;

First, add the link in the page https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/gcc-9-base/download to /etc/apt/sources.list Second, run apt --fix-broken install without any package names. Reboot for good measure and re-try the installation of your package.

@Luke, thoughts? Will this break anything?

alucryd
On 8/28/2021 at 8:15 PM, OurfamilySpot said:

I get an error that 

E: Package 'libgcc-s1' has no installation candidate

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Yes, that package doesn't exist on raspbian, and possibly debian, but you most likely already have the file it provides, you may safely remove it from the apt-get install line.

OurfamilySpot
5 hours ago, alucryd said:

Yes, that package doesn't exist on raspbian, and possibly debian, but you most likely already have the file it provides, you may safely remove it from the apt-get install line.

The dpkg fails on dependencies if it isn’t installed

alucryd
7 hours ago, OurfamilySpot said:

The dpkg fails on dependencies if it isn’t installed

Yeah, but you can still give it a go, it still installs fine. I personally didn't have a really great experience on my rpi3, the UI lags a lot, and video playback really struggles with anything above 480p, hopefully you have a better experience, and share the secret sauce you used.

I tried with the vc4-fkms-driver and 128m of gpu_mem, also tried the full kms driver, vc4-kms-driver, but I didn't get any sound, I read that with the full kms driver audio cards are swapped and it doesn't output to HDMI by default, need to find out how to revert that.

I'll work on a deb that won't fail to install if libgcc-s1 doesn't exist, the hard part is that it is required on Ubuntu and isn't installed by default (at least in my VM it wasn't). On Debian the package doesn't exist at all and the file is there by default.

daldana

I was able to get HMDI audio working with the following change in /boot/config.txt (credit to @Vader in StackExchange forum) and then selecting the second choice for audio in raspi-config (in my case it was MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0).

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

Davey's

A few weeks back I bought a Raspberry 4B 8gb 

Assuming EMBY Theater (client) would work. Now I see that there are several packages (and/or Distro's?) 

The one I've got a variant of Debian does not (yet) work very well in terms of network bandwidth. Had to downgrade the quality to 480p to get it to play back somewhat acceptable.

Which package runs the most stable now? what would you advise? 

Edited by Davey's
Packages can be explained to different distributions of Linux

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm totally stuck.

I've installed Emby Theater on a brand new Pi 4 and SD card using the link and instructions in the first post.  All I get is a black screen with a cursor in the middle.  This happens on both my computer monitor (4k) and TV (also 4k).  I even left it running on the TV for nearly an hour in case it was just a matter of Theater doing some first-run stuff but to no avail, the Pi went to sleep after some period of time.

I have also tried installing Raspbian and then Theater as described in the second part of the first post, with a similar result.  Raspbian boots into the GUI and when run (either from the command line window or the GUI menu item) Emby Theater appears as a black window in the middle of the screen and nothing else happens.

I've looked through this thread but haven't found anything that fixes the problem.

I have no idea how to make this work or where the log files are that might give me a clue.  I did find a post where Luke explains how to turn the debug mode on, but I can't find that again.

Any help will be appreciated.

OurfamilySpot
On 8/30/2021 at 3:41 AM, alucryd said:

Yeah, but you can still give it a go, it still installs fine. I personally didn't have a really great experience on my rpi3, the UI lags a lot, and video playback really struggles with anything above 480p, hopefully you have a better experience, and share the secret sauce you used.

I tried with the vc4-fkms-driver and 128m of gpu_mem, also tried the full kms driver, vc4-kms-driver, but I didn't get any sound, I read that with the full kms driver audio cards are swapped and it doesn't output to HDMI by default, need to find out how to revert that.

I'll work on a deb that won't fail to install if libgcc-s1 doesn't exist, the hard part is that it is required on Ubuntu and isn't installed by default (at least in my VM it wasn't). On Debian the package doesn't exist at all and the file is there by default.

Curious if you made any progress...

alucryd
On 8/30/2021 at 7:02 PM, daldana said:

I was able to get HMDI audio working with the following change in /boot/config.txt (credit to @Vader in StackExchange forum) and then selecting the second choice for audio in raspi-config (in my case it was MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0).

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

Thanks for the tip, will try this with kms instead of fkms, hopefully kms has an edge.

On 8/31/2021 at 5:42 AM, Davey's said:

A few weeks back I bought a Raspberry 4B 8gb 

Assuming EMBY Theater (client) would work. Now I see that there are several packages (and/or Distro's?) 

The one I've got a variant of Debian does not (yet) work very well in terms of network bandwidth. Had to downgrade the quality to 480p to get it to play back somewhat acceptable.

Which package runs the most stable now? what would you advise? 

New packages only include DEBs for now, but RPMs, Flatpaks and Snaps are coming. The DEB is undergoing some rework, it will probably be the easiest to use since most people probably have raspbian on their pi. I still need to find a way to extract more performance out of it, right now electron, and possibly my unoptimized usage of mpv is bringing the device to its knees (granted I only have a 1GB rpi3).

On 8/31/2021 at 6:50 PM, GiGo said:

Will this version be published on Falthub.org soon?

Hopefully. I have a flatpak running locally, still need to determine how best to manage CEC with that one.

8 hours ago, starfury said:

OK, I'm totally stuck.

I've installed Emby Theater on a brand new Pi 4 and SD card using the link and instructions in the first post.  All I get is a black screen with a cursor in the middle.  This happens on both my computer monitor (4k) and TV (also 4k).  I even left it running on the TV for nearly an hour in case it was just a matter of Theater doing some first-run stuff but to no avail, the Pi went to sleep after some period of time.

I have also tried installing Raspbian and then Theater as described in the second part of the first post, with a similar result.  Raspbian boots into the GUI and when run (either from the command line window or the GUI menu item) Emby Theater appears as a black window in the middle of the screen and nothing else happens.

I've looked through this thread but haven't found anything that fixes the problem.

I have no idea how to make this work or where the log files are that might give me a clue.  I did find a post where Luke explains how to turn the debug mode on, but I can't find that again.

Any help will be appreciated.

Did you activate one of the kms overlays for the pi ? Electron requires a working opengl stack. We will have complete instructions available once I figure them out myself.

4 hours ago, OurfamilySpot said:

Curious if you made any progress...

Yes, I relaxed the deb dependencies so it won't complain anymore. But that means some systems might be missing libs, we will have to account for that possibility some other way.

We'll probably have new packages available for testing soon.

I tried another time now with 

Raspberry Pi Image

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.15/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.15.zip

-Using PI Imager to write a SD

-Boot up

-Enter WIFI Credentials 

And it works for me! Often here at a holiday destination I have to set the quality to 720p 2mb to play it smoothly. But it runs better then my first time!! 

What happens every now and then is that the screen falls away, it will come back but sometimes it is a bit too much.. 

I have built the Raspberry in an argon One case. I will soon see if this may lead to these problems

I have added a video where it is clear to see what happens

17 minutes ago, Davey's said:

Kan ik op een of andere manier het sudo-scherm weer oproepen?
tijdens het opstarten misschien?

94 / 5000

Vertaalresultaten

Can I somehow bring up the sudo screen again? during startup maybe?

New packages are headed up to the download page of our website:

https://emby.media/download

By this afternoon we'll have Emby Theater packages available for the following:

• Ubuntu / Debian via our .debs
  • RPI dedicated image
  • RPMs for Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse
  • Flatpak
  • Snap
  • QNAP

So stay tuned to the Linux and RPI download pages under the Emby Apps download section, and we'll be adding a new QNAP page as well.

Please try them out and report your experience. Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

OurfamilySpot
3 hours ago, Luke said:

New packages are headed up to the download page of our website:

https://emby.media/download

By this afternoon we'll have Emby Theater packages available for the following:

• RPI dedicated image

Is this the same image as the prior 3.0.15? Or has it been updated as well.  Right now is showing the same 2021-03-31 image..

Just now, OurfamilySpot said:

Is this the same image as the prior 3.0.15? Or has it been updated as well.  Right now is showing the same 2021-03-31 image..

It's the same for right now.

18 hours ago, alucryd said:

Did you activate one of the kms overlays for the pi ? Electron requires a working opengl stack. We will have complete instructions available once I figure them out myself.

I tried several different ones, all with the same result: cursor in the middle of a black screen.

I started with a fresh install from the new download page that Luke pointed to a couple of posts above.  The only changes from the defaults were to enable ssh (so I don't have to keep switching keyboards), set the keymap to match my US layout, and set the audio output to the 3.5mm jack (in case the fact that my monitor has no speakers was causing an issue).

The default config.txt contained:

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

I then tried

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

and

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4

and lastly

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4
gpu_mem=256

all with the same result.  I'm not sure if these are the correct ones?  The other vc4* file names make them appear to be for the little touchscreens you can buy for a Pi.

Lastly, I tried

sudo raspi-update
sudo apt -y dist-upgrade

per the first post in this thread, rebooting after each command.

It should be noted that emby-theater appears to be running, just the display is not working correctly.  Logging in via SSH and running "top" shows an emby-theater process.

Ptolemaeus

I'm using the flatpak on Fedora. x264 is fine.

HEVC (whether 1080p or 4k) shows the same blue screen found in Davey's post, but audio works fine. The dashboard thinks it's direct playing, but it's a solid blue screen.

Thanks for the new files! I've only had the time to do a cursory test. But the flatpak file seems to work fine, even with HEVC, on my up-to-date Fedora 34. I'm running x11, mind you, since I have an NVIDIA graphics card.

But there's a problem with the install of the rpm file. I get an error:

Transaction test error:
  file /usr/lib/.build-id/35/526e93ad4fcac4115b1aade95a2b68c52160e0 from install of emby-theater-3.0.15-1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package emby-server-4.7.0.12-1.x86_64

My version of Emby Server comes from the rpm package.

• 3 weeks later...
daldana

Just an informational post.

So after installing 3.0.15 on my Pi 3(1GB) over a month ago and using it for Live TV (mostly), I started playing around with different mpv.conf settings. One reason I started changing conf settings was because the "Video Output" dropdown in Emby's settings would not honor the gpu config, it would always go to libmpv. Again, it's pretty good and uses V4l2m2m hardware acceleration, but the video is sooo much smoother when I set the vo=gpu flag in mpv.conf since I'm able to then set the profile=gpu-hq flag. The only problem with that setting is that the osd will not appear, but keyboard commands still work and the mpv log shows the same hw acceleration using V4l2m2m.

Looking at the package versions on the Pi, mpv is 0.29 and ffmpeg is 4.16. Could the problem with the osd be that ffmpeg is too old? I understand ver. 4.3 might work better, any thoughts?

4 hours ago, daldana said:

Just an informational post.

So after installing 3.0.15 on my Pi 3(1GB) over a month ago and using it for Live TV (mostly), I started playing around with different mpv.conf settings. One reason I started changing conf settings was because the "Video Output" dropdown in Emby's settings would not honor the gpu config, it would always go to libmpv. Again, it's pretty good and uses V4l2m2m hardware acceleration, but the video is sooo much smoother when I set the vo=gpu flag in mpv.conf since I'm able to then set the profile=gpu-hq flag. The only problem with that setting is that the osd will not appear, but keyboard commands still work and the mpv log shows the same hw acceleration using V4l2m2m.

Looking at the package versions on the Pi, mpv is 0.29 and ffmpeg is 4.16. Could the problem with the osd be that ffmpeg is too old? I understand ver. 4.3 might work better, any thoughts?

Hi, you may want to try installing it again as all of our Theater packages have been rebuilt, except for the dedicated Pi image, and a revamp of that will also be coming in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daldana said:

Thanks Luke!

Better to remove the existing or just install over the existing?

Might as well remove as it's all new built from the ground up.