Android: DELETE functionality

blade005

blade005

I would like to see a DELETE option available to ADMIN users only in the Android client. I use this in the MBC client and would find it useful in the Android client as well.

• Like 2

Disorganise

seconded. It would be useful to delete an entire TV season I think. At least , that's how I work.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.

• Like 1

blade005

I'm really not eager to enable such a feature for several reasons.

Redshirt,

I can understand the caution around making this a feature, but for some, DELETE capability is an integral part of the Media Management experience.  It is quite frustrating and annoying to have to leave the MB UI experience to remove a file that has been viewed and no longer desired in your collection. My suggestion to all Client Developers has been to make this an option that is disabled by default and if it was enabled, that it only be available to ADMIN users.  That seems like a reasonable level of security while still enabling an ADMIN user to have access, if desired.  MBC is the only client that I believe currently offers this option through a few changes in the config file, but it is the main reason I continue to use it when I know I will be watching and then deleting RECORDED TV files or other media that I don't desire in my permanent collection.

Thanks for all of your hard work and effort. Much appreciated.

blade005

I don't think think we have anything against offering the function. Like anything else it's supply, demand, and priority level.

Luke,

Understood.  

As a side note, I noticed that a DELETE button is available for items in the RECORDINGS section of LIVE TV in the WebUI.  Any chance that will move over to files in Media Collection in the WebUI? I would like to see the same restriction of it only being available to ADMIN users.

Many thanks for all of you guys efforts.

it will be on the edit page for library items. the only reason it's on the detail page for recordings is because they don't have an edit page.

Latchmor

Yeah, it's funny one this. I can see how it makes sense for Recorded TV but if it becomes an option, I hope it doesn't appear right in front of you as an option when you stop playing something.  You stop playback in WMC it gives you option to Delete and I do this without thinking just now as I very rarely keep any Recorded Wtv's.

I know this will vary by client but as long as you actively have to click, touch or move to a different area of the screen and choose delete then that's fine. It would be annoying (and admittedly stupid on my part) if I stopped playback on a DVD rip and I got message popup saying Restart, Resume, Delete and I automatically select delete as my half asleep brain thought I was watching a recorded tv program.  :wacko:

Anyway, I know you guys wouldn't make it that easy to delete something, just thinking out loud.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers

blade005

Yeah, it's funny one this. I can see how it makes sense for Recorded TV but if it becomes an option, I hope it doesn't appear right in front of you as an option when you stop playing something.  You stop playback in WMC it gives you option to Delete and I do this without thinking just now as I very rarely keep any Recorded Wtv's.

I know this will vary by client but as long as you actively have to click, touch or move to a different area of the screen and choose delete then that's fine. It would be annoying (and admittedly stupid on my part) if I stopped playback on a DVD rip and I got message popup saying Restart, Resume, Delete and I automatically select delete as my half asleep brain thought I was watching a recorded tv program.  :wacko:

Anyway, I know you guys wouldn't make it that easy to delete something, just thinking out loud.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers

Latchmor,

So true. One of the reasons I have asked that it only be available to ADMIN Users. And obviously with a confirmation window before executing the request. Certainly don't want to turn an 8 year old lose in your Media Collection with a DELETE button. Yikes!!

But, even in WMC you have to move down and select DELETE and then a confirmation window appears with default on NO asking you to confirm the delete request.

Guess we will see if others consider this a desired feature. I certainly do for RECORDED TV now that it can integrate into MB3 so nicely. But, there are other sections of my collection where it would be nice as well.

Redshirt

I don't really care if users want to delete their media, that's not the issue for me. The issue is the extra design overhead. If a user deletes a movie from the details page, the library view above it (the grid) will have to refresh when it resumes and the selected item refactored. If its an episode, and it's the only episode in the season, then it snowballs how much of the UI has to adapt as the user backs out of their deleted item. 

It's a fair bit of work and I'm not in a hurry to do it :)

Latchmor

I don't really care if users want to delete their media, that's not the issue for me. The issue is the extra design overhead. If a user deletes a movie from the details page, the library view above it (the grid) will have to refresh when it resumes and the selected item refactored. If its an episode, and it's the only episode in the season, then it snowballs how much of the UI has to adapt as the user backs out of their deleted item. 

Yip, makes sense Redshirt. I'm in no hurry either as it's not a big deal to me. Us users very often don't realise the amount of work to implement features!  I support 55 users and the amount of times I hear "it'll just take you 5 minutes eh?", 2 hours later and I'm halfway through, lol.

;)

blade005

Redshirt,

Fair enough.  I know you are busy with lots of enhancements and feature requests that probably take priority on this.  Keep up the great work.

I don't think think we have anything against offering the function. Like anything else it's supply, demand, and priority level.