Need help with a decision of a motherboard purchas.. For a new server project..

Never_More

Never_More

I've been looking around for a new board to set up a BIG server. (Thank you forum power users.). Im wondering if this setup is a good buy .. Please please be harsh if needed. I'm starting to build the (my) dream server and think this would be a good start.

Any and all advice would be great.

I have a case this will fit in nicely. It comes with a lot of extras... All other parts I will purchase with time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Core-32Gb-RAM-with-gifts/192019861950?_trksid=p2055119.c100022.m2048&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122153519%26meid%3Db439e3a76db745d88f651875d374cdf8%26pid%3D100022%26

I've seen other server boards on ebay but find this is a quick and easy setup... :-)

Edited by Never_More

JeremyFr79

I've been looking around for a new board to set up a BIG server. (Thank you forum power users.). Im wondering if this setup is a good buy .. Please please be harsh if needed. I'm starting to build the (my) dream server and think this would be a good start.

Any and all advice would be great.

I have a case this will fit in nicely. It comes with a lot of extras... All other parts I will purchase with time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Core-32Gb-RAM-with-gifts/192019861950?_trksid=p2055119.c100022.m2048&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122153519%26meid%3Db439e3a76db745d88f651875d374cdf8%26pid%3D100022%26

I've seen other server boards on ebay but find this is a quick and easy setup... :-)

That is super OLD, I wouldn't bother, the cost to run those alone would be nuts.  The old Opterons like that were power hungry and ran like crap.

JeremyFr79

Something like this would be far superior.  It's not just about core counts.

This would easily be able to run 7-8 typical transcodes without issue and be far more efficient than the one you're looking at.

Guest asrequested

Something like this would be far superior.  It's not just about core counts.

This would easily be able to run 7-8 typical transcodes without issue and be far more efficient than the one you're looking at.

Nice!

PenkethBoy

If you are looking for a dual socket board as the basis of you build then look at second hand servers there are lots of options available - like @@JeremyFr79 has pointed you too

an IBM example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-System-X3650-M3-Server-2-x-E5650-2-66GHz-Six-Core-32GB-RAM-2-x-PSU-M5015-/272475213414?hash=item3f70c9ce66:g:qrAAAOSwMNxXVt6S

a HP example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL380-G6-2-x-Xeon-X5570-2-93GHz-24GB-No-HDD-15064-/222286270583?hash=item33c14b5077:g:zvIAAOSwLF1YBqI3

a Dell example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-CS24-NV7-Twin-AMD-Quad-Core-Rack-Server-Customisable-RAM-Caddy-/142045889358?var=&hash=item211298434e:m:mhW0ySarbYzUI0XolsFiKTQ

These all are complete (or nearly so) and usually there are loads for sale at varying prices depending on the Xeon's /ram/ hdd they come with - also they usually come with a HBA/raid card of some sort to run multiple disks etc

Drivers and firmware can be found online easy enough

If you need more than 16 threads go with the hex core L5640 upwards to get 24 threads :)

The newer the server the more energy efficient they will be e.g. the L5640 is a 60W processor - and only £35 each to buy

One thing to be aware of is these are loud! when running even when the fans spin down after boot - so if you do not have somewhere to put them out the way then you either mod them or go for something else :)

I am experimenting with water cooling mine at the moment and rewiring the fans so they do not shut off when you pull a fan or two :)

JeremyFr79

My main VM Host (whis host's my Emby VM among 7 others) is a Dell R810 with (4) 8core Xeon L7555's in it.  Dells are BULLETPROOF when it comes to servers.  

colejack

I would suggest a Dell workstation as another option if you would rather a tower instead of a rack-mount. The T5600 is a dual 1366 socket workstation. Can get one for $150-200 on ebay. Or a T3600 which is a single socket 2011, which means you can put a $100 8-core E5-2670 in it. I've seen those go for less than $350 on ebay.

JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79 I went with your suggestion and got a bord,it's has the same cpu's and memory. Shipping was free so it's a good deal. Now for a "case"/"rack" to put it in lol and so it starts.. I'm off for a adventure in the bigger and better world.. I'll be paceing the floor till it arrives..

Sorry for the post I'm on my phone..And have very big thumbs..

Enjoy, Supermicro makes top notch bulletproof stuff.  I've had many Supermicro systems and boards in my history and always loved em.

• 3 weeks later...
Never_More

Well this is an update for my search of a BIG server to meet my need now and the future .. I decided to build it myself and to purchase the parts from here and there ..

587581400a6e3_290_02903057c200ebe305d1b0

587581543b9a7_sl200.jpg

with 4 each

587581a7066f8_download.jpg

Also I have 5  4tb drive i'll be adding from my last server build using drivepool.(ty forum members for the advice)

Now the VERY hard part-I need advice on a motherboard - I would like to have a board that holds as much memory as possible and also a cpu that has on board video transcoding. the price range isn't a factor.

It may have been easier to buy BUT not as fun.. and would not give me bragging rights when ppl start "post your rig post"

Please give any advice - all is helpful good and bad..

Edited by Never_More

Guest asrequested

For the MB, I always buy Gigabyte. They just work! I've never had an issue. Use something like this. Always look how much expansion you want in future. A CPU with onboard GPU, use an i7 6700k. It works well in my server. And hard drives, I use HGST

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

@@Never_More

I use that case HAF X and those enclosures have 6 in my storage server - happy with both

I assume you are going to connect the enclosure to a HBA card of some sort?

As for M/B - one thing to watch out for - the higher end m/b tend not to come with GPU ports (assumed you are a gamer and will have a GPU card) so they disable the onboard cpu GPU and Quicksync - so no video ports no quicksync etc

Gen 6 i7 CPU's i think top out at 64GB the new Gen 7 i think 128GB 

Alternative is a server/xeon board which will give you more RAM - not that you need it for emby/transcoding - but if you have other plans well it might be useful for say rendering etc

Any high end board from ASUS/ASRock/GigaByte will be fine - they come with all sorts of features - most you may never use :)

My Main rig is using an ASUS Sabertooth Z170 - 64 GB DDR4 and i7 6700k - no QS though but i do have a Nvidia 980i :)

• 3 weeks later...