Emby not playing HD content

jeando17

jeando17

Hello, I'm new from Emby, coming from XBMC.

Xbmc is not working correctly anymore on Asustor (no audio) so moving to Emby.

Emby works fine for the audio... good point... but can't play properly HD movies, it stop playing every 5 seconds to load the file... can't watch anything in this case.

Any idea ?

thanks for your support !

Jdo

• 4 weeks later...
geoff511

Hi jeando17,

I don't normally play HD directly using Emby, so wouldn't know if this is a problem on my Asustor, but the few things I have played (TV - SD) have played fine.

Would suggest you install Kodi, and play your files thru it instead.

It has a much better interface and if you add Fusion (https://www.tvaddons.ag/config-wizard-kodi/) and use the Metropolis Skin, it will add heaps more to your experience and available online media.

Have found Kodi works much faster than Emby, and the files play much more smoothly.

Anyway, give it a try and let me know how you get on, also what Asustor model and memory have you got ?

I'm using a AS5004T with 8gigs and 4x6TB HDD

Well I disagree with all of that, including having a much better interface. Also, he did not indicate which Emby app he's trying to play from. Let's assume for a moment he's using the built-in web app. You cannot compare playback in a web browser to playback in a standalone application. The web browsers have much more limited capabilities. What you should be doing is enjoying and appreciating playback in the web app, and if you need more than that, then you try an Emby app that will have an expanded set of capabilities. I think the whole assessment here to be honest is not really valid, because chances are the things you are comparing should not be compared against each other.

geoff511

Hey Luke,

Sorry but I will disagree with you.

Jeando17 would appear to be using Emby as both a Librarian and Playback program.

Emby is fantastic as a Librarian (all be it very slow) but when it comes to Playback, it leaves a lot to be desired, and this is where Kodi is far better.

I'm not sure what Emby is like on, say, a PC or Mac etc. but when it comes to the Asustor version we are stuck with, you would understand why I suggested what I did to Jeando17.

And re the Emby Theatre app for playback, yes it would be fantastic, but that's not avail. on Asustor, only the base Emby program.

(Asustor uses a "Bastardize" version of Linux, and can only run apps. that have been re-written to run on it, hence why we have so much trouble with Emby Updates)

So Luke, please "get off your high horse" and settle down - I am not putting Emby down, or trying to compare apples with oranges, The Asustor vers. appears to work a bit different to other versions your most likely used to.

lllrinzlerlll

I recently put together an Asustor 6104T running Emby,

Video playback stopping every couple of seconds to me normally points to transcoding.

As a test start playing the video with the device having the trouble, then check out the Emby server from another PC / tablet / phone, in the dashboard you can see how Emby is playing to that device (Direct Streaming / Transcoding), if you see that its transcoding at something like 5 - 15 fps then the movie is going to stutter.

If its direct streaming or transcoding at above something like 30 fps and your still getting the issue, then most likely the problem is network related (you have link aggregation setup wrong on the Asustor or the link aggregation your using isnt compatible with the switch its plugged into, or something else)

If it is transcoding at 5-15fps but you know for a fact that the movie your playing used to work on the device your watching it on, then there is a problem between the player software your using and the server (not registering or using the correct codecs on the device and therefore has to transcode the video).

Just a heads up on the Emby version on the Asustor, you dont have to use the crappy Emby version listed in App Central, you can easily FTP into the NAS and update Emby to the latest version (I'm running Emby 3.1.2.0 on mine), take around 10 seconds.

Hrmm I just re-read the original post and now not sure if he's streaming the movies to another device or has his NAS connected directly to a TV and is watching it through that (I run my NAS headless and pump all content out to other devices to watch so this post might be useless)

There aren't many Asustor users on here, I have been using Emby / Media Browser for about 8 years and have recently moved from a Windows based server to Asustor, I can do a write up on my config if that helps anyone.

lllrinzlerlll

wow that was quick... should I start a new topic?

I've been using this stuff forever but have never really posted anything, just thought considering the lack of Asustor users I should put my hand up to help with either testing or help other users with Asustor. 

• 7 months later...