Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

fri3ndlyguy

Hi Luke!

Thanks for pointing this out. So I will stop using the emby-theater-pi version and continue testing with emby-theater-electron.

I cloned the git repo and started it with a bash script:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash
xset s off
xset -dpms
xset s noblank

cd ~/emby-theater-electron
electron . cec-client
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using emby-theater-electron doesnt change the problem: its still the same blank window.

Did you see the post from "Hawataki"? He has the same problem, which makes me think of some sort of "seasonal skin"?

I know we had issues once with the halloween skin, maybe something like this?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
rrlucero

Hoping someone can help. I am new to raspberry pi and linux. I have installed the raspberry pi emby 3.06 iso from the other forum emby on linux. My question is this version no longer current? Saw post saying that there is another version emby theater electron. If so is that other topic (emby theater on linux) first post no longer valid. I am sorry if these are dumb or easy questions.

Hoping someone can help. I am new to raspberry pi and linux. I have installed the raspberry pi emby 3.06 iso from the other forum emby on linux. My question is this version no longer current? Saw post saying that there is another version emby theater electron. If so is that other topic (emby theater on linux) first post no longer valid. I am sorry if these are dumb or easy questions.

Hi, yes the 3.0.6 version is the current version, thanks.

rrlucero

Thank you for the help. Not sure if this is the place to ask. I have another problem my screen goes black after it is not being used for awhile. I have tried adding the following lines to the auto start file.

@xset s no blank

@xset s off

@xset -dpms

File was located /.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

A lot of post say that the file is located in the directory LXDE-pi but I don't have it. Am I doing something wrong?

rrlucero

Yes only when it idles. Was hoping to just leave the pi on all the time. So when I turn on the tv it is ready. It seems to only happen when I have emby theater on. If in the desktop it stays on.

Edited by rrlucero

• 1 month later...
fri3ndlyguy

Hi there!

I am having issues with emby-theater-electron on raspbian. The Menu works fine now, but i cant stream any movies.

Emby Server is Version 4.1.0.26, Emby theater electron is  3.0.8.

The error message the client shows is:

Playback error. No compatible streams are currently available.

Do you have an idea whats going wrong?

Kind regards

Hi there!

I am having issues with emby-theater-electron on raspbian. The Menu works fine now, but i cant stream any movies.

Emby Server is Version 4.1.0.26, Emby theater electron is  3.0.8.

The error message the client shows is:

Playback error. No compatible streams are currently available.

Do you have an idea whats going wrong?

Kind regards

Don't know how you got to 3.0.8 already because we haven't packaged it, but please wait until we've packaged the 3.0.8 release for download as that is the only supported installation method. Thanks.

fri3ndlyguy

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

I just did a git pull a couple of minutes ago. But the problem is there ever since i switched from emby-theater-pi to emby-theater-electron. So i doubt that its related to 3.0.8.

Kind regards

P.s.:

Where can i get those packaged files? I am unaware of that "method". https://emby.media/download.html does not list a linux client.

Edited by fri3ndlyguy

fri3ndlyguy

I made an intesting discovery during testing / troubleshooting. I got an error msg from my client:

"fs access result for path: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, access" and then there comes a unc path to the movie i tried to stream from my emby server.

The interesting part is: It tried to play the movie from my SMB server directly, instead of getting it streamed through emby. (?)

I know this cannot work without proper auth of the machine / user against my smb-server. So thats "probably" the cause why its not able to play the (any) movie.

For the record: emby-server runs in a vm which has no movies on it, the library is pointing to an smb-server via an unc path.

Edited by fri3ndlyguy

Diedrich

Feature request: WiFi hotspot to allow control through an app like Yatse (Android).

I currently run LibreELEC and it's perfect for this reason. It enables the Pi to run as a hotspot allowing any of my devices to connect to the Internet through it. That also allows me to SSH into the Pi as well as Kodi through Yatse.

• 1 month later...
Spotta

Emby Theater for pi use the omxplayer for playing videos. http://elinux.org/Omxplayer

I use lxsession to start up the start.sh script instead of using [Desktop Entry]. http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/05/how-to-autostart-apps-in-rasbian-lxde-desktop/

Start up a text editor to edit the autostart file:
nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart 

Add this line last in the autostart file
@/home/pi/emby-theater-pi/start.sh

I also decided to make a desktop icon to launch emby. You can do this by creating a text file on the desktop named 'emby.desktop' with the text:

[Desktop Entry] 
Name=Emby
Type=Application
Comment=Start Emby Theater
Categories=Application
Exec=/home/pi/emby-theater-pi/start.sh
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Icon=/home/pi/emby-theater-pi/icon.ico

I know some people avoid the pi as a emby client because you have to manually start theater once the pi boots.

A solution for the time being:

In a terminal on your pi once you have theater installed and running:

cd /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi
sudo nano autostart

At the bottom of this file add:

@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@/usr/local/bin/electron /home/pi/emby-theater-pi
Once you have done this, emby theater will start when the pi boots and you can then control it via another emby client (like android).

No need for a mouse / keyboard, or any other hardware for that matter. :)

These instructions for creating a shortcut and auto starting emby-theater upon boot no longer seem to work on Buster. I am not a Linux expert at all, but can follow instructions to get my Rpi working, does anyone know the updated way to achieve this?

Spotta

The shortcut gives 'Invalid desktop entry file: '/jome/pi/Desktop/emby.desktop'

when trying to add the startup entry it cannot find lxsession, I'm guessing both of these issues are from changed paths, I just do not know what the correct paths should be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is Premium only or?

Emby Theater requires Emby Premiere, yes.

• 2 weeks later...
ttgapers

These instructions for creating a shortcut and auto starting emby-theater upon boot no longer seem to work on Buster. I am not a Linux expert at all, but can follow instructions to get my Rpi working, does anyone know the updated way to achieve this?

You can use this. @@Luke might want to add this for others on the main page:

[Desktop Entry] 
Name=Emby
Type=Application
Comment=Start Emby Theater
Categories=Application
Exec=emby-theater
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Icon=/usr/lib/emby-theater/resources/app/icon.ico