Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

• 1 month later...
guillaumelol78

Evening everyone. (bonsoir)

Just installed emby-theater on one of my raspberry 3 B. (fresh raspian)

- apt-get install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.4_armhf.deb

apt upgrade

rpi-update

apt dist-upgrade

And i got the spinning symptom (5 min) then No compatible streams are currently avalaible. Please try again later or contact your system admin for details.

What should i test ? the player is mpv ?

Regards,

update : gonna try a full reinstall - Problem resolved with full reinstall. seems to work.

Only 'problem' when i move the mouse, the video goes black

Edited by guillaumelol78

guillaumelol78

Good Evening.

Some more tests today.

Its seems that subtitles which are correctly sync on webapp are late on emby-theater (1 second)

Already experience that?

guillaumelol78

Can you please discuss an example? Thanks.

For sure.

I was watching a movie last time. I notice that my subtitle (external srt file) are well synchronized with the web application but a little 'late' on emby theater.

Another issue, the movie begin to slow down after 45min. I check on the Pi and emby-theater was using lot of RAM/CPU. I kill the process (-9) and the movie get ok again with npm running 'solo'.

(tell me if you need a log).

Edited by guillaumelol78

AJStubbsy

This is superb!! Thanks very much for the hard work. However...

When I pause a movie/show with my TV remote, via CEC Adapter, the screen goes black and none of the remote controls work e.g. I can't resume playback with the 'play' button and 'return' doesn't get me back to the home screen. I have a bluetooth keyboard attached to the Raspberry Pi and I can use this to move the cursor around the screen, find the play icon and get everything playing again. Obviously, I could just use the bluetooth keyboard but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and managed to overcome it, as it's more convenient to use the TV remote.

As said, thanks so much for this though, it's such a pretty UI!

Thanks for the feedback. Currently due to hardware transparency limitations, anytime the OSD has to show the screen will go black, so that's why that happens. We're not currently able to overlay content on top of the video.

AJStubbsy

Hi Luke,

I do remember reading that in the forum.

My problem is that, if I pause with my TV remote, the screen goes black and i cannot resume playback. I have to use a bluetooth keyboard to make the cursor visible, at which point I can see the OSD and I can select play.

I just wondered if that's something others have experienced and if there's something I can adjust in the settings to make the OSD pop up when I use the TV remote to pause?

AJStubbsy

The OSD pops up but the video doesn't play. I can navigate to the different buttons but if I press OK on my remote, to select Play, nothing happens and then the screen goes completely black. I can get back to the home screen using the cursor, via the touchpad of my bluetooth keyboard, but when I try to play and resume what I was watching, I either get a Blue Screen saying "Playback Error" or it just hangs of the fan art screen. After that I have to reboot.

AJStubbsy

It works fine with the keyboard. As said, I can live with using the keyboard it's just nice to be able to use the TV remote and since I can navigate through the menu structure using the TV remote, I was hoping there might be something else I could try to solve the problem.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback. Currently due to hardware transparency limitations, anytime the OSD has to show the screen will go black, so that's why that happens. We're not currently able to overlay content on top of the video.

Seeing this in the current pi image. Any possible resolution for this issue? Pi has great potential but this really limits the user experience at the moment. Thanks for all the effort so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, fairly new to Linux Distro's and Raspberry Pie's but upon clearing out my cupboards the other day amongst the dozens of old hard drivers and plethora or other old computer stuff I found not one but 2 Raspberry Pie Model B's!

Now I've played around with a Pie before managed to load XBMC on one years ago for a mate and also install Raspbian before using N00bs, now I have downloaded the from the link in the first post in the "Emby Theatre Thread", used Rufus to write the img to the SD card, gone through the setup process, all connected the the network and password setup.

Whenever I try to run emby it doesn't load, I've tried running it via Run and nothing at all.  I will also add that I've told the setup to log me in automatically and it didn't nor does it try to launch emby automatically either (or that I can see).

I've loaded up Task Manager and can't even see the emby process.

Anyone offer any help?  Would like to put a couple of old Pi's to use :)  TIA.

Hi all, fairly new to Linux Distro's and Raspberry Pie's but upon clearing out my cupboards the other day amongst the dozens of old hard drivers and plethora or other old computer stuff I found not one but 2 Raspberry Pie Model B's!

Now I've played around with a Pie before managed to load XBMC on one years ago for a mate and also install Raspbian before using N00bs, now I have downloaded the from the link in the first post in the "Emby Theatre Thread", used Rufus to write the img to the SD card, gone through the setup process, all connected the the network and password setup.

Whenever I try to run emby it doesn't load, I've tried running it via Run and nothing at all.  I will also add that I've told the setup to log me in automatically and it didn't nor does it try to launch emby automatically either (or that I can see).

I've loaded up Task Manager and can't even see the emby process.

Anyone offer any help?  Would like to put a couple of old Pi's to use :)  TIA.

What install package did you use?

What install package did you use?

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply, it was 3.0.6, I think, its the one linked too in the Linux thread linked too from the 1st post on this thread.

Right but which exact binary did you download?

I downloaded https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.6/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.6.zip

I have also tried 3.0.4 with no luck either, however I have now downloaded OSMC and installed the EmbyCon Addon for Kodi, works great for playback, sluggish for the menu's but it works!  I did try Emby for Kodi Sync Addon when using Rasbpian with Kodi installed but it crashed after a few mins.

I did read on another thread that Emby Theater doesn't work on a Pi Model B?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
fri3ndlyguy

Hi!

I am running emby-theater-pi on a raspberry pi model 3+. The os is a raspbian release 9.8 codename stretch.

I am connecting to a emby theater server Version 4.0.2.0, via a local network. (my server is in a different subnet though!)

Until today it was working well apart from a few minor bugs. But today I noticed I can't see my libraries any more... This is how it looks:

5c83208440a7c_empty_emby.png

(But they still show up if I use a browser from any of my clients at my home or via the android app.)

I verified that my emby-theater-pi is the latest version (via a "git pull").

I restarted the server, I restarted the client (multiple times) and I even wiped the config (by moving the ~/.config/emby theater pi folder away)

I also did some troubleshooting by enabling the devconsole where I found this error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maintabsmanager.js?v=1552095623573:1 Uncaught TypeError: tabsElem.selectedIndex is not a function
    at Object.selectedTabIndex (maintabsmanager.js?v=1552095623573:1)
    at HomeView.TabbedView.onResume (tabbedview.js?v=1552095623573:1)
    at HomeView.onResume (home.js?v=1552095623573:1)
    at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (tabbedview.js?v=1552095623573:1)
    at onViewChange (viewmanager.js?v=1552095623573:1)
    at viewmanager.js?v=1552095623573:1
    at <anonymous>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As well as:

GET http://<MYPUBLICIP>:8096/emby/system/info/public net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

The second one is kind of expected since I don't allow external access to emby, only from within the network!

However, a few things still work:

- I can play a movie if I start it on a browser from a different client in my network -> view on other screen -> select it from there. The movie starts to play on the client in question then.

- After some time the "screensaver" kicks in and Scenes / Covers from movies in my libary are displayed.

- If i change the home-screen layout from vertical to horizontal i get to see some of my libaries again, but once i try to access one of them i get the same "blank" screen again.

Do you have any idea what i could try to fix this?

I didn't change anything on the client lately, however I updated my Server a week or two ago.

I am sure I watched movies via this client since then, but I am not sure i went back to the Home-Screen since then.

Thanks!

post-436880-0-83625100-1552097364_thumb.png

Edited by fri3ndlyguy

Hawataki

Hi,

i´m running the Raspberry Pi Image wich launches straight into Emby Theater  (from this Forum) on pi model 3b+.

I am connecting to a emby theater server Version 4.0.2 via internet. (Server is not in the local network)

Since yesterday i got the same Problem as fri3ndlyguy postet. I restartet the App & Server but it didn´t solve the Issue.

After some troubleshooting I reinstalled the Pi Image because i thought "let´s start from zero"...., but emby startet right with the same problem and these weird looking icons (like the Profile button or "Home" in fri3ndlyguy´s postet Thumbnail).

The fact that i´m not the only person with this kind of Issue gives me a sign of relief :D

fri3ndlyguy

Hi, this should clear itself up, can you try restarting the app?

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your reply.

I restarted the client as well as the server numerous times. The behavior stays the same.

Out of curiousity I also tried emby-theater-electron but its doing exactly the same.

Whats the difference between those two? I didnt find a brief description about emby-theater-electron nor about emby-theater-pi.

emby-theater-pi is obsolete now. how did you install emby-theater-electron?