Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

daldana

I was also having the spinning circle problem, but after running the rpi-update and dist-upgrade commands, it all cleared up and I'm able to watch Live TV and my movies. 

I was also having the spinning circle problem, but after running the rpi-update and dist-upgrade commands, it all cleared up and I'm able to watch Live TV and my movies. 

Great info, thanks !

I've updated the build in the first post with the 3.0.3 release. It has fixes for HDMI-CEC, as well as updated install instructions for Raspberry Pi. Thanks everyone.

bigembyfan

Good news on the 3.0.3 release, I attempted a few different things to stop the spinner and get the video to play. Tried another rpi-update and the dist-upgrade, tried a re-install of 3.0.2 and neither worked. I did all this before I saw the 3.0.3 release.

Still on the 3.0.2, I found this post on the other Linux thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/?p=607043 - I checked the mpv setup after putting 3.0.2 back on and making sure I followed the instructions on the first post to install the deb package (which I did the first time too) and browsed to the mpv folder in emby-theater, I tried to run it to test but it gave an error - one of the libraries wasn't found (I completely forgot to make a note though). Very similar to this one but a different library was listed (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/?p=607837)

So I followed through the instructions in the first link, post #366 from haraldov, I ran all the commands, it installed a lot and took a while to run but happily afterwards I opened emby-theater again (3.0.2) and it successfully played all my videos I attempted.

I have now upgraded to 3.0.3 and also loving the cec controls.

Anyway, hope that helps to crack the problem in the one click install. I am really happy with it all now, it's working really well and exactly as I'd hoped. As always, great effort with all this!

Edited by bigembyfan

bigembyfan

Posting another one as a separate comment as it's a separate subject - Reading through the linux thread with the downloads and there's some discussions about the transparency issue on the Pi + black screen when the OSD is visible, completely understand the limitations there and how it's probably not currently solvable but would there be an option to add an X or Close in the OSD to dismiss it straight away? 

I control the Pi with a wireless mouse mainly but equally like this new setup with my tv remote and cec - Neither however has a way to dismiss the OSD, so if I pause, skip, accidentally touch the mouse or a remote button, I get the OSD with a black background and then I have to wait for it to disappear to see anything again. It seems like 4 - 5 seconds. I saw some earlier comments in the electron setup where people were modifying the alpha value in one of the javascript files but guess that isn't an option now.

I've seen a few threads on here discussing the OSD, eg: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34280-option-for-seek-bar-to-disappear-more-quickly/ - I'll be honest, on the web players I don't care too much about the OSD showing for a bit, I wouldn't on the Pi but the black screen is probaly more annoying that it should be. I've seen comments about 'Back' dismissing it but for me clicking 'Back' using the mouse or 'Return' on my tv remote takes me out of the current video player.

rechner123

i don't know how i can got to the settings to enable ssh. my raspberry boots automatically into emby. if i exit emby there is a debian login. there i have tried user" pi " and password " raspberry "

Now i know why my password did not accept.

It was because i have german keybord or because of false region setting. So i have to switch Z and Y!

bigembyfan

Can you try the 3.0.3 install without any of those workarounds? Thanks.

I probably can't unless I do a fresh install of Raspberry Pi as all the mpv stuff is on the system already? It seemed to add loads and loads of libraries. Could I easily rollback that? Happy to try if easy enough,

It might be worth noting that my original installation was the NOOBS setup and then selecting Raspbian via that and that I hadn't run rpi-update the first time I installed emby-theater. As mentioned I did remove emby-theater, cleaned up the dependencies, ran the rpi-update and then dist-upgrade but I ran dist-upgrade before re-installing emby-theater, didn't realise at that point it was good to do after? Then I did all that other mpv stuff mentioned.

Edited by bigembyfan

cybergrimes

We haven't reproduced that, so please try it once available and let us know. Thanks.

Still a spinning circle for me on my Pi3. I ran rpi-update fine but dist-upgrade kept coming back as command not found. I ended up manually installing the .deb posted here over the old install. I might try a fresh install another day *shrug* Edited by cybergrimes

bigembyfan

Still a spinning circle for me on my Pi3. I ran rpi-update fine but dist-upgrade kept coming back as command not found. I ended up manually installing the .deb posted here over the old install. I might try a fresh install another day *shrug*

For the dist-upgrade, try:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Edited by bigembyfan

I tried version 3.0.3 in both the Pi image and the Linux file but still had spinning circle. I went back to the Linux 3.0.2 version, compiled mpv, and now have video.

Unfortunately, I ran those commands (without any luck) before I had to revert back to 3.0.2 .

Can you try again? Then if the issue remains, please run the following command and provide the output:

/usr/lib/emby-theater/resources/app/bin/mpv

Thanks.

I'll try it tomorrow. Do you want me to try the Pi image first or the Linux install?

Whichever of the two you had a problem with. Thanks.

Good news, the Pi image worked fine! I put the image on a clean SD card, went through the raspi-config setup, and then performed the following commands in this order;

1, sudo apt-get update

2. sudo rpi-update (did not reboot after this step)

3. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

4. reboot

Live TV and movies both work fine!

I'll try version 3.0.3 on the Linux install tomorrow and hopefully will have the same results.

In the Linux install, I do not the same good news I had with the RPI image.  Unfortunately, I just get the spinning circle.  Here is the output from running /usr/lib/emby-theater/resources/app/bin/mpv

/usr/lib/emby-theater/resources/app/bin/mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libopencore-amrwb.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Hope this helps.

So after doing a bit of experimenting, I've found that if I manually install the four items below I can get ET for Linux working nicely on my Raspberry Pi 3.

1. sudo apt-get install libopencore-amrwb-dev

2. sudo apt-get install libopencore-amrnb-dev

3. sudo apt-get install libuchardet-dev

4. sudo apt-get install libssh-dev

Edited by daldana
  • Like 1