Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

I'm not sure. The electron install has never been an issue for me. The raspbian version is up to date i assume?

mgworek

Finally found the time to play with this on my pi2. I got it up and running. It was slow but thats been said before. I tried to play a movie, it played one trailer but after that I got a black screen and it never played the next trailer or movie.

I ordered a pi3 so will continue playing with it when that gets in. Also, I do not have a mouse anywhere in my house so that made it difficult to setup the pi in general. Will need to grab one from work as well and will hopefully have better luck then.

Edited by mgworek

• 4 weeks later...
earthtorob

The latest official version of Raspbian is using Pixel, that is what I was testing with.

is that the model B?

• A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
  • 1GB RAM
If so that is what I am using, yes it is a little slow to scroll but I have found it usable.

I also have a Pi3 and that is much smoother to scroll around.

II dont this this will ever be a smooth or fast the Kodi on a Pi2, Pi3 is very close, Kodi is built from the ground up to be as light weight and fast as possible for a very bespoke skinning and display engine, I dont think you will ever get that level of performance from Chromium.

Kodi, or XBMC/XBMP, is a decade old.  Originally written for the Xbox (PII with Geforce II).  It's been through a lot of upgrades, add-ons and ported to lots of other boxes.  I didn't know it was all that lightweight.

Since you are a developer maybe you could answer a question for me.  Do you know of any plans to release a stripped down version of Kodi?  Something that was just basically the player with DNLA? 

Now that I am using Emby, I really don't need all the plug-ins and library and bells and whistles that Kodi has.

I know I can get a DNLA blu-ray player or WD box or Smart Tv with DNLA, but I like my Raspberry Pi.

I would ask on a Kodi forum but I think that might not be well received. 

myrealnameis

Hi folks,

Im using emby at the moment on android but would love to use it on my raspberry pi 2. Problem is i cant get a version of emby for the raspberry pi that produces a pin

Can this be got?

Does any one know?

Thank you

myrealnameis

Hi @@myrealnameis, did you follow the installation instructions in the first post? Thanks.

I did or at least I'm prity sure I did. My problem is its not generating a pin. have I done it incorrectly

It does generate a pin. It asks you to sign in with Emby Connect on the 2nd screen after starting up the app. Why don't you show a screenshot of what you see?

myrealnameis

It does generate a pin. It asks you to sign in with Emby Connect on the 2nd screen after starting up the app. Why don't you show a screenshot of what you see?

oh ill try again later and let you know. I might have missed it.

myrealnameis

Thanks for the info.

Jesus not at all, thank you kindly its very good of you to help

CityZen

I have installed it today on a RPi3B.

Quick and smooth installation. works well (connected to a Win10 server, media files on a FreeNas machine).

Some issues with playback of full Blu-ray media.

Controlling it with mouse/Keyboard is less than ideal, but probably will get there eventually.

This is a better solution that the Libelec/Kodi/Emby add-on, if all you need is a streamer. (I have a second SD with Kodi configured on it, if I wand to do TED, and Live TV)

There is an issue of Hebrew subtitles displayed in mirror text, will look into it tomorrow.

Thanks,

this is a great start.

Dani.

• 4 weeks later...

Some changes to the Live TV OSD are headed up, to make the time display look more like Windows Media Center:

593af905cd2d8_Untitled.png

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
EliteCube

"sudo npm -g install electron" dont work with Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL 2017-04-10
Msg:
npm ERR! 404 Not Found

i installed the original image not my own

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

mirkster

To resolve the issue of installing electron on the latest version of raspbian 2017-04-10 there is a script that will update nodejs, NR and npm (for NR):

Once you run this script you should be able to install electron. It worked for me on a PI3.

update-nodejs-and-nodered

Edited by mirkster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
charlied573

So, I have this more or less running... two errors that I haven't seen in this thread, I'm wondering if anyone has come across them:

1)  on videos with mp3 audio encodes, within Emby Theater no sound plays.  If I pass the command in a terminal with '-o hdmi', it plays fine.  Any way for me to add that?

2)  HEVC files will not play, nor will they transcode.  I dropped the max rate to 720p, still nothing. 

If I Switch to RPV, they play... but they're completely out of sync, and I have no navigation control.  Is there any way to force a transcode on x265 files *without* doing so server side?  The other boxes I have scattered about handle x265 fine, and I don't want to transcode to the lowest common denominator.

EDIT:  To note, this is on a Pi 3.  All of the original files are 1080p minumum, and it doesn't transcode for RPV either, it just allows for (choppy, horribly out of sync) playback.

Edited by charlied573