Store artwork & metadata in media folders?

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

i setup Emby with defaults, and according to the Wiki, to store metadata on the (fast SSD) applications drive, not the RAID media drive. (This is also general consensus I've seen at AVS.)

“Installation · MediaBrowser/Wiki Wiki · GitHub”

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Installation

But I've seen recommendations here to store metadata and artwork in the media folders.

What's the current thinking?

If it's better to store with the media folders, can this be made the installation default? And the Wiki updated accordingly?

And a handy new feature would be to migrate metadata and art to media folders if the server setting is changed. This would accommodate those of us wanting to move to the newly recommended setup (assuming it is).

Koleckai Silvestri

Personal preference really.

I store my media, metadata, and artwork together because it is cleaner with my folder structure. Everything is together.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

You will have to manually move the existing folder, but yes you just have to set the new location via Library-Advanced.

Note Emby creates a /metadata location by default to prevent users from combining other custom locations.  So the custom path you move the metadata folder to will be the parent folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

arrbee99

i setup Emby with defaults, and according to the Wiki, to store metadata on the (fast SSD) applications drive, not the RAID media drive. (This is also general consensus I've seen at AVS.)

“Installation · MediaBrowser/Wiki Wiki · GitHub”

But I've seen recommendations here to store metadata and artwork in the media folders.

What's the current thinking?

If it's better to store with the media folders, can this be made the installation default? And the Wiki updated accordingly?

And a handy new feature would be to migrate metadata and art to media folders if the server setting is changed. This would accommodate those of us wanting to move to the newly recommended setup (assuming it is).

That migrating thing would be good, so if (like me) I add a new library, it starts adding metadata and then I realise I should have updated those per library settings to 'save artwork and metadata into media folders' from the beginning, so it isn't half and half.

ShoutingMan

You will have to manually move the existing folder, but yes you just have to set the new location via Library-Advanced.

Note Emby creates a /metadata location by default to prevent users from combining other custom locations.  So the custom path you move the metadata folder to will be the parent folder.

I'm looking for a way to change server setting to "store artwork and metadata into media folders"

ShoutingMan

Ok. I don't understand how this updated setting works. I'll have to look at the interface more carefully to see what the settings are.

ShoutingMan

I found the setting I wanted, I think

Manage Server->Library->3-dots in a library -> Manage Folders->Check Save Artwork and Metadata into Media Folders

Is there a way to purge metadata, then scan the library and load anew all metadata to be stored in media folders?

I thought I saw a "purge metadata" button in the server but I can't find it now. And I don't know if the rescan will take effect with the updated setting on existing media.

ShoutingMan

The "Scan Library" button doesn't cause metadata to be moved into the media folders.

Edited by ShoutingMan

Changing the setting will not go back and retroactively start moving files. It will only apply to new metadata going forward.

jordy

wouldn't it be a good idea if upon Refreshing a library or individual item when a relocation of metadata is called for, Emby could check for existing metadada either in the media folder or in a custom location and automatically move it to the new location BEFORE looking for new stuff from the internet. It would be less interrogation of internet sources and less stress on data caps etc AND it would allow for retention of sometimes very carefully maintained metadata.

Mopar_Mudder

I am trying to use the Emby Meta fetcher again. Right now I use a different program. I have checked to save images and meta data in the movie folder but all that is saved their is the images, no meta data. I did not have save to movie folder checked at first, I checked it and then refreshed a movie. That is when the images show up but no meta data.

Mopar_Mudder

Nfo is uncheked, but I thought that was something optional. Is that what I have to use, not an XML file anymore?

Nfo is on by default so you would have had to explicitly disable it. Xml saving has been retired, although the code is moved into a plugin if their is a community member willing to take ownership of it and handle support for it.

Our default settings for the last 2 years have been attempting to steer you towards nfo, so at some point you must have explicitly said no i want xml.

Mopar_Mudder

Ok cheking that Nfo made it work.

Next question is how can you edit the Media Info from the Meta Manager? It always picks up the aspect ratio of the video file, which is 16:9 always, I want the real aspect ratio of the movie.

lorac

I've never noticed any difference between having metadata on an SSD vs. with the media folders.

mikeraburn

I just now noticed, since a fresh install, that the metadata and artwork is NOT going into the individual folders.

That is no big deal but my question is;

When I delete an individual media or entire folder, will the metadata and artwork go with it?

My media is separated onto individual hard drives based on media type.

The metadata and artwork  is now being stored on my boot drive.

@@mikeraburn, storing metadata in media folders has always been off by default, and you've always had to explicitly enable it in order for it to happen. This is nothing new. Chances are this time around you didn't enable it whereas in previous situations you probably did.

Yes when you delete an item, the internal resources are cleaned up.

arrbee99

Is there a particular file or folder that could be deleted to remove the metadata that was accidentally stored in the wrong location i.e. whatever central store is used, so I could refresh things and make sure everything is stored with its media ?

Is there a particular file or folder that could be deleted to remove the metadata that was accidentally stored in the wrong location i.e. whatever central store is used, so I could refresh things and make sure everything is stored with its media ?

You can do everything you need to do within the Emby web app.

mikeraburn

Thanks

@@mikeraburn, storing metadata in media folders has always been off by default, and you've always had to explicitly enable it in order for it to happen. This is nothing new. Chances are this time around you didn't enable it whereas in previous situations you probably did.

Yes when you delete an item, the internal resources are cleaned up.