Client advice

moody_blue

moody_blue

Hi folks, first post  here, so please excuse the "newbish style".

I have a DS411slim (armv5 processor) and an AppleTV3. I've been using Plex Media Server and PlexConnect. Both tools are now "dead" for me, Plex because armv5 support has been discontinued, and PlexConnect because development has been abandoned.

Therefore I'm looking for alternatives, preferrably ones that do not oblige me to replace all my HW and recode all my media. Emby looks promising to achieve this objective, even though I would have to replace the ATV3 with something else. ATV4 is way too expensive and lacks spdif (optical audio) output, required to connect my Denon A/V 5.1 receiver.

I am therefore searching a "tv box" that:

1) Is supported by Emby

2) Connects TV with HDMI 720p and/or 1080i

3) Has optical (or coax) audio 5.1 output

4) Decodes H.264 video (and other codecs if possible, such as H.263 and H.265)

5) Has native subtitle support (in order to avoid transcoding)

6) Decodes audio lossless format (preferrably alac, but I can convert my music to flac or another lossless format)

7) Has RJ45 (Ethernet) port (my wifi coverage is not acceptable to stream video)

8) Can be controlled using an Harmony remote (infrared)

Can you please suggest me some alternatives ? Thanks in advance.

Edited by moody_blue

I don't believe the Shield has an optical output and neither will most Rokus.  That is going to be one of your most limiting factors so if you can eliminate that and use HDMI, that opens some things up for you (including supporting more advanced audio formats).

moody_blue

Thanks for your suggestions, but I would prefer a cheaper option, if possible. Would the Minix NEO X6 be a viable alternative ?

PinchOfSalt

My Roku 4 has SPDIF and HDMI outputs.  It supports 720p and 1080p but NOT 1080i.  It is the front end to my Emby server (running on a Synology 1813+).  I used to use the SPDIF output for audio, but now use HDMI due to other changes in my home theater configuration.  You should be able to get a good deal on a Roku 4 these days, as it has been replaced by a newer model.  I am not sure about the native subtitle support.  Someone else might know.

1ch_h4lt

Hello moody_blue

Although there is no spdif connector, my favorite is the amazon fire tv.

You can use the emby app or give kodi with emby plugin a try (via sideload). Last one is my setup with a Synology 1813/15+

Best regards,

1ch_h4lt

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe RaspberryPi 3 with OSMC/KODI or new Emby Theatre for Pi? For optical output (at least in KODI) You can use cheap USB audio card - it'll work.

For tests I plugged in FiiO E10k (but on kodi forum there is info about lot cheaper devices) and had DTS passed to soudbar.

As alternative maybe wait for new Intel NUC which will have native CEC support :)

• 1 month later...