Kodi won't play main movie rip (MKV)

AmericanCrisis

AmericanCrisis

I recently began re-encoding my main MKV Blu Ray rips to a smaller MP4 file so that remote streaming doesn't require transcoding.  I put these re-encoded MP4 files in the same folder as the MKV file.  The only difference is the extension:

For example:

movie (2016).mkv

movie (2016).mp4

The problem I am having with Kodi is that it isn't auto playing the higher quality MKV file now.  I know this because the MKV file had a DTS-HD audio track and my re-encoded file has an AC3 (DD) and an MP3 audio track.  I am seeing AC3 on the receiver screen for the few re-encoded files I have done. 

Is there a way to get Kodi to always play the MKV file or the larger bitrate file? 

yardameus

Does the Emby server recognize the two different files?  Have you tried naming the movies similar to the multi-version movies section of the naming guide here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming ?  I think the server doesn't recognize the mp4 version since the mkv has been there all along.

AmericanCrisis

I have it named correct... just like my example in first post.  It is def recognizing the both files.  The MKV was there all along, now that the MP4 is there, Kodi is playing it instead of the MKV.  I almost wonder if Kodi is recognizing the MP4 as a new movie so it is playing it instead due to that reason.  

EDIT:  I have another speculation... I'm using an Android TV Nexus Player for Kodi at the moment.  Previous to adding MP4 alternates to each folder, the MKV file would play but due to the Nexus' hardware, the DTS-HD would be stripped down to DTS.  I speculate that Kodi is now using the MP4 file instead because it can see an AC3 track as the primary audio track.  

But then again, every MKV file has both the DTS-HD audio track and a separate DTS track.  Hmm.....

Edited by jhugh

Vidman

I have it named correct... just like my example in first post.  It is def recognizing the both files.  The MKV was there all along, now that the MP4 is there, Kodi is playing it instead of the MKV.  I almost wonder if Kodi is recognizing the MP4 as a new movie so it is playing it instead due to that reason.  

EDIT:  I have another speculation... I'm using an Android TV Nexus Player for Kodi at the moment.  Previous to adding MP4 alternates to each folder, the MKV file would play but due to the Nexus' hardware, the DTS-HD would be stripped down to DTS.  I speculate that Kodi is now using the MP4 file instead because it can see an AC3 track as the primary audio track.  

But then again, every MKV file has both the DTS-HD audio track and a separate DTS track.  Hmm.....

your example in 1st post is not the correct naming for multiple versions

see here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

also to force kodi to use the lower quality file you would probably need to use http streaming and limit the bandwidth 

Edited by Vidman

AmericanCrisis

your example in 1st post is not the correct naming for multiple versions

see here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

also to force kodi to use the lower quality file you would probably need to use http streaming and limit the bandwidth 

I do believe the naming scheme I have used is correct.... as I have said, it seems to work half the time.  Here is an example of what a folder looks like:

The Sting (1973).mkv

The Sting (1973).mp4

Both the aforementioned files would be located in a single folder named: The Sting (1973).  Both files are practically identical, they have the same 1080p resolution, but the MKV file has DTS-HD audio while the MP4 file has an AC3 track.  The MP4 file is significantly smaller.  

Like I said, the problem I have is that Kodi, and Emby Theater, on my HTPC, are now playing the MP4 file and NOT the MKV file.  It is playing the smaller bit-rate file.  Some files it continues to play the MKV file.  There is no way for me to determine why the server is choosing the smaller file.  

I tested many files and there seems to be no differentiating factor.  Star Wars Episode IV plays the MP4 file.  Both Episode V and VI play the full bitrate MKV file.  It is very strange!

AmericanCrisis

I get that the guide says to use the " - " but in my situation both the MKV file and the MP4 file are 1080p.  So what would I do?

Would this be appropriate:

The Sting (1973) - 1080p.mkv

The Sting (1973) - 1080p.mp4

If this is right I don't see how it would solve my problem with the MP4 playing over the MKV file for my HTPC.  It seems there should be a trigger on the Multiple Versions System to force the MKV file (since it is usually superior) to play if the client device can handle the given bit-rate.

yardameus

I wasn't sure about the naming convention, would it be incorrect to say The Sting (1973) - mp4.mp4  and The Sting (1973) - mkv.mkv?  Or are there certain types that have to be at the end (1080p, etc...)?

• Like 1