MB3 at the BBC?

Tanamur

Tanamur

Hi MB3 Community - I rarely post news stories and don't derive pleasure from others' demise. However, given the exciting MB3 project developments that have arrived in working order in the last two releases, I thought a contrast to projects gone wrong may be of interest.

I treasure the BBC and am continually amazed at all of the options for receiving it at no cost to non-British citizens with little to no advertising intrusion. Unfortunately the BBC's own Digital Media Initiative (DMI) project to migrate asset content from tape to digital server access has failed after five(5) years of development and £100m. Sadly, it also cost the CIO his job. Full story by clicking HERE.

There have already been a few threads about using MB3 in school environments, company training rooms and KTV lounges. As a minimum, maybe the BBC would be interested in funding a small portion of the MB3 development from what is left over from the DMI budget?

Keep up the great work dev team and supporters. Thanks @Tanamur

Edited by Tanamur

Hey Tanamur, that link didn't work for me, but I found the story -- here's an updated link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25886417

It is somewhat surprising to me how often efforts like this fail or come in wildly overbudget.  Lots of private companies are having the same sort of troubles transitioning, but many others are able to do it smoothly.  I haven't spent a lot of time reading about it to understand why so many fail to do it well.

Tanamur

Hey Tanamur, that link didn't work for me, but I found the story -- here's an updated link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25886417

It is somewhat surprising to me how often efforts like this fail or come in wildly overbudget.  Lots of private companies are having the same sort of troubles transitioning, but many others are able to do it smoothly.  I haven't spent a lot of time reading about it to understand why so many fail to do it well.

Thanks @ - I fixed the link now. In my experience, the failure frequently can be identified when there isn't a single individual that has an overall grasp of the project objective in a structured concept>function>detail plan. Certainly in complex projects, not everyone can know this but at least one individual must.

Cheesegeezer

I treasure the BBC and am continually amazed at all of the options for receiving it at no cost to non-British citizens with little to no advertising intrusion. 

Well Lucky you, I have to pay £145/yr for the privilege of having the BBC here in the UK and it's not an optional payment.

Interesting story tho.

• Like 1

Tanamur

Well Lucky you, I have to pay £145/yr for the privilege of having the BBC here in the UK and it's not an optional payment.

Many thanks for that @@Cheesegeezer - My voluntary contributions are going toward National Public Radio (npr.org) if you are looking for an alternative news source  ;)