"Block content with tags" feature doesn't seem to work

ZaLiTHkA
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ZaLiTHkA

I'm having some trouble with locking down the media access for different Emby accounts, but I'm not sure if this is a mistake on my part, or a bug in the software.. Perhaps someone could help me work out what's going on?

Using the "Users > Parental Control > Block content with tags" feature, if I add an entry for "Horror", I can still see all content with the blocked tag in my media list (such as the movie "Pulse", which has the tags "Horror" and "Sci-Fi"). I've tried adding the tags as all lowercase ("horror") and as matching the case of the tag itself as it appears on media entries ("Horror"), I've even tried adding multiple tags to see if content with all matching tags will be hidden, but none of this seems to make any difference.

Is there any additional configuration that needs to be done for this to work? Otherwise, is there any specific entries in the system logs that I should look at to see what's happening?

ZaLiTHkA

Sure thing; my niece (12) and nephew (11) each have their own accounts. My brother (their father) doesn't want them to have access to violent or scary content, regardless of it's rating. I don't blame him, since something that would have been restricted as 18 a decade back would probably only get a 13 or 15 rating these days...

Anyways, currently I have it configured as follows:

For the "Profile" tab:

• Media Playback: all four options enabled
  • ALL other options disabled

For the "Access" tab:

• Enable access to all libraries: disabled
  • Libraries: "Movies, "Series"
  • Enable access from all devices: enabled (they use their tablets as well)

For the "Parental Control" tab:

• Max allowed parental rating: "PG/TV-PG"
  • Block content with no or unrecognised rating info: "Movies", "TV Shows"
  • Block content with tags: "Horror"
  • Access schedule: "Every day, 07:00 - 20:00"

I managed to deny access to a few somewhat inappropriate movies (like "Kill Command", which doesn't show any rating in Emby) by through the "Block content with no or unrecognised rating information" option. However, the movie "Gremlins" is rated "PG" and has the genres "Comedy", "Fantasy" and "Horror", but with the above profile settings, it is still available on both profiles.

I've also tried using the tag blocking system on my own profile, which has no parental guidance restrictions and access to all libraries (pictures, music videos, etc), but that also didn't work.

Is that the info you were looking for?

• Solution

Hi @@ZaLiTHkA , did you apply the horror tag to the Gremlins? The block by tags feature is based on the Tags list, not Genre list (although we could discuss applying to genres).

• Like 1

ZaLiTHkA

Ah... I understand now, I didn't realise this only worked with manually added tags. This could get pretty cumbersome going through a large media library, especially since it's a few clicks and lots of scrolling to add a tags to any single media entry, but I'll see what I can do with this new information.

On that note, I think it would be incredibly useful from a parental content control point of view to be able to block certain genres, so it would be amazing if you guys could look into adding that. It's holidays now though, so maybe this is something that can be left for the new year.

Thanks for the useful info. :) Hope you have a good christmas and an awesome new year..