FreeNAS Emby setup guide???

bobhays

makarai

Hi 

Brilliant document 

just a typo  Styart the jail and enter jail shell and 

Create Group Emby with the GID 989, than create the User

May I suggest to break it down in chapters. In this way, this could form  the basis of a compendium for a freenas/kodi integration.

I would be happy to help 

Once again thank you

thanks :) I fixed the typos, I am sure there are many more in there. 

makarai

I created a very fast mp4 to install kodi and the emby plugin and kodi skin a year ago not sure if that's still up to date. I'll strip it of personal info and upload it one of these days.

wbravin

Hi 

Your solutions are brilliant and required. 

i believe that many are in the same boat i am and (looking at the forums),

Might i suggest that when installing emby server, emby server would automatically inherit the permissions from the source datasets therefore simplifying the installation of emby server. 

.In the case one would want to modify the permissions, it would be possible for them (IMHO) to modify the source dataset and again the line above would apply, or have an applet (GUI) that will take care of the change and alignment of the permissions between freenas and emby for them.

Could this be added in a later version on emby server?

• One thing that i am noticing is that the scans take too much time. I have what i consider a small library compared to some that in hare read about in the forums. Since 10 am this morning when it was at 88.1% it is not 2.5 hours later and it reached 88.4%. So now i will let it run even if emby server tells me that i should restart it to finish applying the updates.  
  • when installing emby server after adding the folders, emby server starts automatically scanning the mount points. I would suggest that this does not happen and that the user could select to scan one folder at a time in order to better control and better schedule the process in the event of large libraries. if the libraries are small the the user could scan all libraries at once. the individual sacan of the libraries would enable the user to better monitor the progress of the scan as opposed to scanning all folder simultaneously. at the moments i only see in the 88.4% about 2/3 of my music library with no content in Movies of TV shows. 
  • In addition would it be possible to have a count of what populates a view of a folder. (artists, album,songs, movies, series and sets etc)

I  have 3962 songs by 803 artists in 504 albums in 57 playlists I have 67 tv series and 312 movies and 27 movie sets.. I am sure that emby server collects all files (so does kodi but sometimes it skips files) 

A counter would be a quick way to reconcile the quantities one has in their folders  with the quantities populated by emby server and also highlight a potential problems if any. In the event of a scan this could also server as a progress bar. 

Again thank you All for all your efforts   and for helping me

makarai

You have to remember FreeNAS is a storage solution first and a VM solution second and with that a sound understanding of permissions is almost required to use FreeNAS. I believe the first scan takes a whole lot of time, finding the meta data, potential subtitles, and downloading it all might take some time, but it should get much faster the second time around.

Glad you have it figured out.

wbravin

Hi

absolutely, this is why i believe that freenas should be the guiding purveyor of the general permissions.

When a user sets their permissions for their datasets, for the most part  they already know which datasets require more restrictive permissions and for what purpose and who is to use them.

Again in this case the original source dataset is the guiding factor. Therefore, emby should rely on the inherited permission guidelines of that dataset.

Adding a new user and group to freenas  is a solution. which is not hard to do and for neophytes like myself as long as we have a clear, pragmatic and documented process we should be happy

My process is still ongoing (at 88.9%) the apprehension i have is that so far it has done 405 music artists and none of the movies or tv shows. The music is only 77 GB my movies folder is 493 GB and my tv folder 1.5TB.

In your opinion will it be able to succeed with only 11.1% remaining. I would agree i have too much time on my hands

however I thank you for the work you are doing to improve our emby experience

MRobi

@@wbravin the initial scan takes some time to complete depending on settings. It's going online and checking numerous databases and downloading all metadata, indexing the files, extracting chapter images, etc... I have a large library and it can take 2-3 days to fully scan everything in. The good news is, once completed it only takes minutes to scan in new files as they're added.

Your idea of having emby automatically set itself up based on permission of the dataset is great, but I don't think it would be possible. Especially since some people have 1 dataset for movies, 1 for tv shows, 1 for music, etc.. etc.. There could be 3 different dataset owners all moutned into the Emby jail. Unfortunately, with FreeNAS, all users need to learn the basics of permissions, but once you wrap your head around it and settle on a single method, it's pretty easy. You'll have to do the same with your Sonarr jail, Radarr jail, Lidarr jail, etc.. etc..

wbravin

@@MRobi

Thanks for your comments 

Yes you are right the first scan does take very long. This is why once cannot have a machine tied up for 2 3 days to do the first scan. If you could scan one folder at the time you could schedule the scans to run overnite.

I do have 1 dataset for movies 1 for tv and one for music.You exactly play to my point For simple environment such as minew then the automate alignment of the permissions would be fine. In the case you outline, The way of the additional emby user and group in freenas would be fine. Even if i would venture to say that if you have 3 libraries with 3 different permission sets, then i would imagine that in emby one would want 3 folders with equally different permission sets. Therefore again each folder could reflect that same permission sets as the original dataset.

But as i mentioned. If the process is well documented in a clear, pragmatic and complete, then a new user can develop his solution with easily. which would be usable regardless of the plugin one chooses.

Good job folks

wbravin

Thank you all for assisting me to resolve my issue

Thanks to the solution and assistance provided by @@makarai the solution worked. It finishes to sync this am at 09:00. It too so long because i screwed up one of the folders I had media/movies. media/tv shows and  /media. Because i had made this folder for music All my files (movies tv shows and music) ended up into a music folder.

I stopped this and restarted the scanning of the media/movies /media/tv shows and /media/music all over again and it is now finished..

Again this would be a case to a folder by folder scan process and not an automatic scan once you have completed the folder creation

As inspector Clouseau would the probleme is solved

Once again thank you all 

• Like 1

makarai

Thank you all for assisting me to resolve my issue

Thanks to the solution and assistance provided by @@makarai the solution worked. It finishes to sync this am at 09:00. It too so long because i screwed up one of the folders I had media/movies. media/tv shows and  /media. Because i had made this folder for music All my files (movies tv shows and music) ended up into a music folder.

I stopped this and restarted the scanning of the media/movies /media/tv shows and /media/music all over again and it is now finished..

Again this would be a case to a folder by folder scan process and not an automatic scan once you have completed the folder creation

As inspector Clouseau would the probleme is solved

Once again thank you all 

you can add all the folders to the library, (scan starts for all added items automatically), you stop the the indexing process and start refreshing each individual library.

Dashboard -> library -> 3 dots for movies/tvshows/music ->  Scan Library files or so :)

Edited by makarai