MBT vs MBC Collections (Mixing Up Content of Docos in TV/Movies)

Aussiedroid

Aussiedroid

Hi All,

Had a bit of a play around with MBT for the first time last night and noticed that all my Documentaries were mixed in with my Movies and TV sections on the main screen (with no Documentaries section showing). MBC has them all separate as per the media folders I created in MBS. I assume this is because I have created the Docos with 'Mixed content' type in MBS? I see that I can navigate to it via the 'Collections' section but this doesnt really suit as I don't want to mix up my fact & fiction content. Also noticed the same config with the iPhone app that I tried last night.

Is there a way to change it back to the way MBC and previous versions have worked so each of the Media Folder collections (Movies, TV, Docos) appear as a separate main menu in MBT and doesnt mix up the content?

Thank you,

Aussiedroid

• Like 1

MBC doesn't really have views. It just has media folders implemented. The equivalent in MBT is the Collections area.

Aussiedroid

Thanks for the quick reply.

So there is no way to remove the docos from the other media folders?  On my HDD I have them separate, and have had them setup as a separate media folder type in MBS.

I could live with having to navigate to collections (although not ideal :)) to find my docos, but really messes things up having it added to the Movie and TV sections. 

Do those have metadata gathered from TVDB? If not, you could try setting them up as "Home Videos" type instead of "Mixed Content". I've had no personal experience with those types of media so not sure, but I'm pretty sure they won't get pulled into movies that way.

• Like 1

Aussiedroid

Thank for your help - I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

Most of the docos I have manually setup the metadata through metabrowser since there isn't a really comprehensive online source for documentaries (some series etc are available through TVDB though and some docos released as DVDs and such can be found as a movie - most aren't found though). So there is a mixture of TV series metadata and others setup as individual docos that have movie metadata structure. Gather that is why its being added to the other views under Movies and TV. Not an issue in MBC since you can set each collection folder as a different 'view' or tab in your EHS.

Anyways, I'll have a bit more of a play hopefully today :)

• 1 month later...
Aussiedroid

I finally got around to trying the suggestion of changing the type to Home Movies. 

It worked to remove the media appearing in Movies/TV shows (Yay!), but it doesn't show any metadata for the Documentaries :(

Likewise, when I go back into Media Browser Classic there is no metadata.

If there was another type selection for Mixed Content that was treated like the Home Movies type (excluding from the other Movie and TV views) this would work. But would be really good to have an option to add another main menu selection for Docos so I could have all 3 as main views in Theatre but keep the content separate. Does anyone know if we will be able to do something like this in the future or will there only ever be Movies and TV views with Folders storing everything else?

Thank you all.

Aussiedroid

Thanks for the quick reply! 

So I have my docos setup with a mixture of movie xml structures and others with TV xml data (stored locally). Do these need to be setup differently or should they be displaying already?

Shaun

documentaries are a pain in all media systems. Plex, XBMC, etc  have exactly the same problem as we do.

I have 5K+ documentaries, I have them in a mixed collection. They are mostly organised into very large series

(Nova, Horizon, National Geographic, etc - exactly the way they are structured in thetvdb.com, btw, a number

of people have gone to great effort to get a lot of documentaries into thetvb.com).

The problem we have is that they get mixed up with the Movies &  TV Views. There is a very simple fix for this.

Add a third view called documentaries (and probably a fourth one for Music laster as well). The third view

behaves exactly like TV except it is limited to the Documentaries collection.

I know luke is looking at generalizing Views and maybe limiting them to particular collections. This would solve

the major problem.

But wouldn't it be nice to store all sorts of lexicographic meta data about the documentaries - then we could sort, search

and display them via categories medicine, nature, science, bullshit (discovery), historical - but unfortunately the major sources

of metadata don't store this - prehaps we can get it added to thetvdb.com 

• Like 1

Aussiedroid

Glad to hear I am not the only one with this dillema at the moment.  :)

I can still use through MBC properly at the moment, but would like to move to MBT some day if it could be catered for.

I like the idea of being able to tag them somehow or to have the ability to setup custom views (other than Movies & TV) . That way the main views are the main collections and the collection view could be used for other sorting/collections/sub-categories. I could see myself having the desire for a music and games views at a later point too rather than just having them in the collections area.