Monit monitoring?

schumi2004
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

schumi2004

Hi all,

I need some help in monitoring EmbyServer using Monit.

Pretty straight forward procedure to start stop synology packages in monit would be like this:

start-stop-status start and start-stop-status stop but this doesn;t seem to work for the start-stop-status script packaged with EmbyServer for Synology.

When i looked at the script I expected to see something different then it is now.

http://pastebin.com/XXhUexzV

This is my current monit script but it doesn't work:

#check Emby is running

check process Emby with pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid
    start program = "/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status start" with timeout 180 seconds
    stop program  = "/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status stop"
    if failed host localhost port 8096 with timeout 180 seconds then restart
    if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
    #if memory > 110 MB then restart
#done
Edited by schumi2004

schumi2004

Okay got it working to start EmbyServer from CLI using synopkg

/usr/syno/bin/synopkg (start/stop/restart) EmbyServer

Now i need to find out if this works in monit script.

solabc16

Hello @@schumi2004

What's the end goal and/or reason for what you are attempting?

That would help me understand better what we need to do.

You mention monitoring, but are actually trying to stop/start the package. Are you implementing the 'status' method as well?

Best

- James

schumi2004

Sometimes emby crashes, sometimes for a known reason or not. Monit monitors (on port and PID file) this and other services for that and launches the app again but in order to do that it needs something to do that. All other packages I run I launch using start-stop-status start but this doesn't seem to work for emby. But the method I posted seems to work as well.

solabc16

Hello @schumi2004

The start-stop-status script has a method status, that would be the correct way to check if Emby Server is running.

The docs are here (https://developer.synology.com/download/developer-guide.pdf), take a look towards the bottom of page 62.

I suspect it's not working because you're not setting the environment variables.

This script is typically called from Package Center which will set the environment variables the script expects to be set.

Make sure you are setting SYNOPKG_PKGNAME to EmbyServer before calling the script and you should find it works as expected.

Best

- James

• Solution
solabc16

...of course, your solution here (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42535-monit-monitoring/?p=396518) is good as well.

Using the platform utilties will make sure it continues to work correctly across updates.

There's no immediate problem calling the scripts directly, but it's not their expected usage.

- James

schumi2004
solabc16

Thanks for your reply. In some cases it's handy to launch directly from start-stop-status script to find errors.

EmbyServer is probably the first community package with such a "advanced" (and probably following the development guide correctly) start-stop-status script i have seen.

But it's working for me now and i learned more about how things work.