Video transcoding when it should not

clarkss12

clarkss12

Using the updated Emby version running on my Samsung smart TV, I am testing the playback of some simple DVD rips.  The first test is using the movie "The Final Countdown", but it is being transcoded, so is causing a less than desirable picture.

Side item, cannot turn off subtitles, but that also occurs under the ET running on my Windows 10 microPC.

The Final Countdown ffmpeg log1.txt

The Final Countdown mediainfo.txt

The Final Countdown server log1.txt

post-38990-0-71937300-1481473705_thumb.jpg

Jdiesel

What are your global subtitle settings? You can access them through the the Web client by going to the "person" icon in the top right corner then "playback settings".

• Like 1

clarkss12

What are your global subtitle settings? You can access them through the the Web client by going to the "person" icon in the top right corner then "playback settings".

Thanks, changed it to no subtitles, will test later.

Edit:  That worked, not by default there is no subtitles playing.  Without the subtitles playing, the video is very good.

Edited by clarkss12

I'm not sure which version of the app is currently published, but from the log it looks like this is burning in subs.  There were some recent changes to support mpeg codec in mkv container as well as direct playing of subs.  I'm having a guess but I expect that this version is still in the queue for release.  Can you tell what version is installed and I will try and check.

I'm not sure which version of the app is currently published, but from the log it looks like this is burning in subs.  There were some recent changes to support mpeg codec in mkv container as well as direct playing of subs.  I'm having a guess but I expect that this version is still in the queue for release.  Can you tell what version is installed and I will try and check.

I think he's on 1.0.16, which is probably about 2-week old code.

• Like 1

clarkss12

With the suggestions of how to turn off the default subtitles being enabled by default, my "The Final Countdown" movie is now playing very well with Direct Playing.

Another problem of the video not saving position and starting from the beginning.  Will make a new thread for that.

post-38990-0-18495600-1481491748_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
SSJ4Gokou

I too am having the same issue. Some movies will direct play and others that used to direct play in the last release now transcode in this new release. The only way to get them to direct play now is to go through DLNA and not the Tizen app.

I too am having the same issue. Some movies will direct play and others that used to direct play in the last release now transcode in this new release. The only way to get them to direct play now is to go through DLNA and not the Tizen app.

Hi there @ss4jgokou, we're very sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

SSJ4Gokou

Did you customize your dlna profile? this should be transcoding over dlna as well due to the level 51 h264 @@SamES

I did. When viewing the movies on my TV via DLNA there would be some media files that would not play and show .ts as the extension even though the TV can play that media format. 

Should I remove the custom profile and try again? When I have done this before alot of my movies stopped working because it showed a .ts extension.

The problem with .ts might have been due to our sending back a mimeType of video/mp2t. For the next release this has been changed to video/mpeg and I have already verified that this has cured some transcoding problems on other dlna devices.

As far as your profile, well certainly you might want to delete and reapply changes. The downside of having a custom profile is that as the built-in profile improves, you are not getting those improvements.

As far as your profile, well certainly you might want to delete and reapply changes. The downside of having a custom profile is that as the built-in profile improves, you are not getting those improvements.

Good day Luke,

If that the case, then why we have to reapply the change again, not better to keep as the default profile without any change in this case?

My best

SSJ4Gokou

The only thing that i am doing with the custom profile is in trial and error to get my media files to direct play. Other than that, nothing really going on in there. I will delete and try again.

As a side note, The app freakin rocks!! My wife loves the ability to have a functioning library to choose from rather than looking at folders!!

Keep up the good work!!

Update: Deleted the custom profile and restarted the server, played the same movie through the app and it is still showing transcoding. Keep in mind that i can play this directly via DLNA.

Edited by SSJ4Gokou

Right, the profile doesn't affect the app, I was just pointing out that level 51 will transcode using the default profile.