not able to stream over 1mbits

pappaq

Hey guys, I've got the problem that streaming over the web app is absolutly unstable. Only with settings set to 720p1mbits it works smoothly. But thats not enough for me. My internet connection supports upload up to 40mbit and that works just fine via ftp but the stream won't do over 1 or maybe 2mbits.

With the android app I am able to achieve like 5mbits but I think that's because of my 4G connection not reaching any higher speeds.

Any ideas?

Jdiesel

Is your max stream bitrate set to auto or an absolute bitrate?

Edited by Jdiesel

Is your max stream bitrate set to auto or an absolute bitrate?

You should provide server and transcoding logs to get the full picture though. Maybe the transcoding can't keep up. It may be direct playing or streaming on the Android app which may explain the difference.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/&do=findComment&comment=22408

Hey, thanks for the answer. My maximum streaming bitrate is set to nothing, like in the screenshot below. Is that equivalent to auto?584d7f78a47ec_streaming_limit.png

And I'm pretty sure the transcoding is keeping up because the transcoding bar is far ahead of the playbar and most of the streams are hardware transcoding with 90fps or more.

Jdiesel

I was actually talking about the web client requested bitrate. You can find this setting by clicking on the "person" icon in the top right corner of the web client screen and go to playback settings.

Here are the logs of me trying to stream a movie with 1080p5mbits from my server to the web app via a stable 50mbit internet connection. 

Nope, it doesn't. It transcodes, but it stutters. With 40mbit upload and 50mbit download most if not every movie should work even with direct streaming or am I wrong? But that doesn't work either.

Nope, it doesn't. It transcodes, but it stutters. With 40mbit upload and 50mbit download most if not every movie should work even with direct streaming or am I wrong? But that doesn't work either.

Can you please provide a log from that attempt as well? thanks.

The log looks OK to me. did you customize the in-app bitrate? can you try setting that back to auto under playback settings?

The log looks OK to me. did you customize the in-app bitrate? can you try setting that back to auto under playback settings?

I've set it back to auto and with or without QSV it streams but stutters here and there. Over Wifi it runs smoothly. Maybe it's my connection after all but why shouldn't it work?

Well perhaps our automatic bitrate detection is still producing a result that is too aggressive for your connection. That's one possibility, and that would explain why if you manually lower it, you see better results.

Try this, use the web app to download a video from your server. You can do this from the detail screen, then the 3-dot menu. Let us know how fast that download goes. Thanks.

I'm getting around 400-660kbit/s...thats nothing...and I don't know why. Is it possible that my ISP is limiting anything regarding emby? Cause from my FTP the maximum possible upload is up to 4Mbyte/s.

Edited by pappaq

Ok so now we've identified the issue, so the question is why. What ISP? Could you try changing the public port used by Emby (not the local one). You can change this in Emby settings -> Advanced -> Hosting.

Then after changing that you may also need to update configuration in your router as well.

You may want to check for any router settings that might affect it.

I went through all settings before and again now. But I can't find anything colliding with emby. With all speedtests and over my FTP I get full speed.

Are you connecting over http or https? Try https if you aren't already.

Over https. I wouldn't use emby or sth like this without a secure connection.

Jdiesel

Have you double checked your router settings? Do you have any type of QoS enabled?

Edit: Sorry just saw your prevous post.

Edited by Jdiesel

Have you double checked your router settings? Do you have any type of QoS enabled?

Triple checked it now, yes. And no QoS is enabled.

Maybe it's the SSL handshaking or sth?

Edited by pappaq