Filter available Live TV channels by user

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

It would be nice to specify what channels are available/visible on a per user basis. This could be used as a parental control to only allow access to a few channels for kids or as a way to only show favorite channels to other users to help speed up scrolling through unwanted channels. Why show hundreds of channels if a certain user only watches a dozen or so?

Edited by Jdiesel

There is no easy checkbox list such as that, but if you use the editing functions to assign parental ratings to channels then that is already supported.

Jdiesel

That may work but is not idea for my scenario. For example, I want sports channels in my guide but my girlfriend doesn't. We both don't want news channels but my brother does. Finally my nephew only needs access to five kids channels. I could use parental ratings as a filter but it would work as more of package system with the highest rating being everything.

The tag system may work exactly for what I have in mind as I see there is the option to block content with certain tags. Can a tag be applied to a channel?

Jdiesel

I was just reporting that commit 8828957 didn't expose the tags for channels. My apologies if you are still in progress with it.

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

The option to assign Tags to channels in now available however it does not work like I had hoped. Assigning an Tag to a channel and blocking that Tag using the parental controls does not remove that channel from the channel list and guide but instead only block playback from starting.

Jdiesel

My apologies, after a forced guide refresh the channels with blocked tags are no longer shown. This works perfectly for customizing the live TV guide for each user. Thank you very much.