Android TV Source, Disappeared, Again...

dylanger

I paid at the beginning 99 euros because the project was open source, and now I realize that went in the same model as plex ... Disgusted if that remains like that,  I was advertising for Emby but I feel it will change ...

• Like 1

I paid at the beginning 99 euros because the project was open source, and now I realize that went in the same model as plex ... Disgusted if that remains like that,  I was advertising for Emby but I feel it will change ...

Hi, thank you for your support. If you look at our repositories, we are predominantly open source, with only a couple exceptions. 

dylanger

Okay, so I don't think you're allowed the 'Open Source' title, as quite clearly you're not, after I asked for source a few months ago, I was interrogated by 'ebr' as to why, perhaps Emby are selling analytical data and don't want people to know? I guess no one will know because the 'Open Source' Emby, isn't really Open.

I fully agree with letroll, I was actually going to pay for the life time subscription, however due to the clear false advertising, I'll be giving Plex my money and I'll urge everyone else I know to do the same.

Its a real shame, I really believed in Emby and the team, very disappointed indeed.

Edited by dylanger

Have you seen the amount of open source apps and projects we have? I would think that has to count for something. We work extremely hard, and we do not sell any data.

dylanger

Indeed I have, however what reasons do you have to intentionally remove the ability for other developers to develop and add value to Emby's Android TV App specifically?

I'm not arguing that your teams does not work hard, I'm sure they do, however please explain why you've (Emby Management?) decided to make it closed?

Unfortunately, due to the closed and quite honestly, rather hostile state of this Application its quite difficult to deduce what the app is doing.

I can understand the point you're trying to make "But look at all of the other projects in GitHub", and I get that, however this is usually how it starts. "Oh, well. We'll just close this one Project", at the end of the day, everything is closed, innovation is stumped out and nobody wins.

Its rather disappointing seeing Awesome Applications go from being Open and Awesome to this perverted decline of being closed, I just don't see the benefit anyone achieves in closing off contributions of others.

Edited by dylanger

however please explain why you've (Emby Management?) decided to make it closed?

Because we exist in an extremely competitive marketplace now and it gets very hard to do that when you give everything away to the competition.  That is the simple answer.

dylanger

In doing so you're also closing off others contributions, can you answer the full post above please?

I think at the very least you should change Emby's tag line from "The open media solution" to "The open* media solution"

Jdiesel

Not that I wouldn't like to be able to view the Android TV source myself out of curiosity, but another way of looking at it is how would code contributors feel if they are not being compensated for a paid product? Would those who contributed code feel entitled to some of the profits of the app? Emby needs a paid model to survive and that also requires that some of their premiere services remain closed. I don't necessarily like it but I understand where they are coming from.

dylanger

@@Jdiesel, I understand the need for a paid model, after all that's how they survive, but why close this specific project off? What are the risks? Because I know the reward is others helping and contributing to the project, moving it forward as a whole.

I guess a risk is Plex stealing code? But I seriously doubt that. What other players are there?

Jdiesel

Plex or anyone else I suppose. There would be nothing stopping someone from forking the project, changing the name and logos, and having it for sale on the app store in a matter of days. I don't think Emby is against third party apps but they need to protect their income generating assests. A good example is the Ember project on the Windows store, it exists with the Emby windows app.

Well, to answer your question about contribution - in the nearly two year history of this project I had zero outside pull requests.  Plenty of people forked or cloned the repo for their own use, however.

I'm sorry, but there are just some parts of the systems we need to try to protect right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@ebr maybe because at the time we were satisfied with the application and that this is no longer the case. Or in my case just that I didn't have the skills at the time to contribute, and that now this has been changed. And for the party to protect, it can always be placed in a library (made it necessary for the parent application to works), and the developers have access to the rest of the code. But may not remove your part payment. Everyone wins...

@ebr maybe because at the time we were satisfied with the application and that this is no longer the case. Or in my case just that I didn't have the skills at the time to contribute, and that now this has been changed. And for the party to protect, it can always be placed in a library (made it necessary for the parent application to works), and the developers have access to the rest of the code. But may not remove your part payment. Everyone wins...

@@letroll, the library separation suggestion is a possibility for the future. Thanks !

• 1 year later...