"Add user to session" not working

huladaddy

huladaddy

I am running Emby for Kodi v2.3.22 on Kodi 16.1 compiled Nov 13, 2016 on Linux.

When I add a user to my session, it seems to have no effect, such as changing the contents of "In Progress TV Shows/Episodes". It's been a while since I have used Emby for Kodi, but I do remember this working in the past.

Part 2 of my post is to ask how this session management works. If I recall correctly, in the past, adding a user to a session used the "OR" method. So, when I went to view "In Progress TV Shows", it would show me TV Shows in progress by User1 OR TV Shows in progress by USER2. This is the complete opposite of how I want this feature to work. In my case, my wife and I are users. When we sit down to watch TV together, I would like to see only TV shows that are in progress if they are both in my list AND in her list. In other words, if I am watching a show that she isn't watching, it should not show up. Only those shows that she AND I are watching should show up.

This leads to another use case. It should be noted that I am looking for a solution where there are multiple users in the household accessing the Emby Server. It appears that currently once a user is connected to the Emby Server, it is only possible to ADD another user to that session, and not to REMOVE the original user and substitute a new user as the only user (let's forget Kodi profiles for the moment, because I think that solution would not be desirable... too cumbersome.) To get around this "problem", I came up with the idea of creating a new Emby user called "everyone" or something like that. The idea would be that when Kodi loads, "Everyone" would connect to the Emby server. In this default scenario, if no one else is added to the session, the only "watched" data that is collected is for the user "Everyone". This way, if anyone is lazy, or forgetful, and doesn't add themselves as a user, the only data that is changed is for "Everyone". However, when one or more people wish to watch something, they add themselves as a user, and therefore their watched data is updated. If Kodi for Emby continued using the OR method to display In Progress content, it would display everything that was In Progress for that user OR for Everyone, which would always show what was In Progress for Everyone. I would prefer it instead to only show In Progress content if it is In Progress for Everyone AND In Progress for that user, and therefore only show the In Progress for that user.

I hope I am making myself clear, and I hope that the assumptions about how this feature currently works are correct. I could not find any discussions or documents or wikis relating to this.

Angelblue05

Hey there, no, adding a user to a session will simply save the newly created watched status and resume points for every user in the session. The content you see in Kodi will always follow the emby user loaded in the Kodi profile.

You can't remove the original user. You can only add additional users, that's why it's called additional users ;) your solution is to create other kodi profiles for main users and add each user to the other users as additional user....

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Add-user-to-Emby-session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

huladaddy

Aha, OK. Thanks for the link and the explanation. And the quick response!

In that case... Feature Request, please!

Can you change the operation of "In Progress ...", "Next Episodes" and "Recommended Items" to be an OR of all the users of a session?