m3u file tags channel mapping guide

maegibbons

maegibbons

Hi

Is there a definitive way to use m3u tags like channel-id and tvg-id and others to properly group, sort and display channels in the guide AND properly map them to SD?

Need a guide as to how to properly setup the m3u file,  It all seems very hit and miss at the moment.

IMHO we need specific tags to Categorise, Sort within category and MAP to SD either by sd channel number or callsign.

I Just get a jumbled epg at the moment with some auto mapping but its not consistent at all.

KR's

Mark

taylorbourne

When I have built custom m3u lists linked to SchedulesDirect in the past, I always just used the `channel-id` property to aid auto-mapping. Log into your SD account, go and view the lineup (I think you hit report?) and note the channel number. Using that number in the `channel-id` property got everything mapped for me. However, keep in mind there are some changes coming down the pipe as to how Emby parses m3u playlists.

rholborok

Would love to know what the secret formula is for the new update. From what I can tell it relies on the Channel-ID. I got the update last night that definitally make me go adjust my m3u removing the tvg-id field.

I would love it if I could use the TVG-ID field with a channel name in it not a number but I dont think that is how this all works.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i would like to take suggestions about revamping the m3u to guide mapping, so please feel free to offer them here.

one thing i would like to start with is auto-generating numeric channel numbers if we were unable to parse an actual channel number from the m3u data.

thanks !

dbowles1975

Could someone just give me an example of an m3u (redacted) and xmltv that work correctly in Emby OR an m3u (redacted) that works with SD? I can edit my script to generate the m3u however I want but nothing I've tried so far has worked. Emby still shows the channel-id from zap2xml as the channel number. 

I have everything working in Kodi but I'd like to be able to make this work in Emby as well. Thanks. 

dbowles1975

Ok, i would like to take suggestions about revamping the m3u to guide mapping, so please feel free to offer them here.

one thing i would like to start with is auto-generating numeric channel numbers if we were unable to parse an actual channel number from the m3u data.

thanks !

Luke, is there a way to remove the "undefined" tag when a channel logo is not used? 

taylorbourne

Example of my M3U playlist (urls redacted):

#EXTINF:0 tvg-id="abckabclosangeles.path.to" tvg-logo="path.to/channel_logos/abckabclosangeles.png", ABC KABC Los Angeles
http://path.to/abc-kabc-los-angeles/index.m3u8 

Example of channel information from my guide data (several sources, zap2it being one)

<channel id="abckabclosangeles.path.to">
  <display-name>KABC</display-name>
</channel>

<programme start="20170102110000 -0700" stop="20170102143000 -0700" channel="abckabclosangeles.path.to">
  <title lang="en">College Football</title>
  <sub-title lang="en">Outback Bowl: Florida vs. Iowa</sub-title>
  <desc lang="en">Iowa meets Florida in the Outback Bowl.</desc>
  <date>20170102</date>
  <category lang="en">Sports</category>
  <category lang="en">Series</category>
  <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP00000993.7992</episode-num>
  <subtitles type="teletext"/>
</programme>

Screenshot of what my guide looks like (ignore missing guide data):

post-89925-0-99329900-1483553027_thumb.png

Screenshot of the channel detail page:

post-89925-0-54560900-1483553112_thumb.png

Some basic suggestions:

• Auto generate channel numbers (already suggested)
  • Pull "Channel Name" from either what follows after the comma in the first line of each m3u entry, or from the <display-name> property in the guide data. If using the latter method, it would be great to be able to see a list of the <display-name> tags available for each channel. For example, USA Network comes through like this in my guide data and I have seen this before with SD. However, it seems like using what comes after the comma would be more reliable, as this seems like an absolute standard for any m3u playlist I've seen, even ones that are just music.
    <channel id="usanetwork.torula.com">
      <display-name>242 USAHD</display-name>
      <display-name>242</display-name>
      <display-name>USAHD</display-name>
      <display-name>USA Network HDTV (East)</display-name>
    </channel>
  • Mapping by tvg-id seems like a no-brainer, I would like to see that left in as my guide maps fine (and did before when using SD).
  • Like 1

Luke, is there a way to remove the "undefined" tag when a channel logo is not used? 

@@dbowles1975, I'm not sure what you mean. can you explain it a little more? thanks !

dbowles1975

@@dbowles1975, I'm not sure what you mean. can you explain it a little more? thanks !

If there is no logo for a particular channel then the guide shows "undefined" next to the channel name / number where the logo would normally be. 

If there is no logo for a particular channel then the guide shows "undefined" next to the channel name / number where the logo would normally be. 

This is resolved for the next release, thanks.

This example is resolved for the next release

#EXTINF:0 tvg-id="abckabclosangeles.path.to" tvg-logo="path.to/channel_logos/abckabclosangeles.png", ABC KABC Los Angeles

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
maegibbons

Hi

So I want to get my m3u streams guide mapping better with schedules direct.  I know that emby<>SD uses json requests/returns but I took a look at the xml to see what field names there are which I assume would be the same in the json.  I have the following:

<channel id="I24325.json.schedulesdirect.org">
    <display-name>BBC One (North West)</display-name>
    <display-name>BBC1NW</display-name>
    <display-name>958</display-name>
    <icon src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirect/assets/stationLogos/s24325_h3_aa.png" width="360" height="270" />
  </channel>

What i want to know is what tag in the m3u file I should now set to map to this channel?  I believe tvg-id is used to number and sort the guide so is it channel-id that i should set to "I24325.json.schedulesdirect.org" in the m3u???

I tried this ages ago before the recent changes and it did not work, so before messing again i thought I would get a clear understanding on what i SHOULD actually be setting to match on?

This is for native emby SD matching NOT XML!!!

KR's

Mark

maegibbons

Hmm... Just tried:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="I24325.json.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-id="2101" tvg-name="BBC 1 HD" group-title="Entertainment",BBC 1 HD

And it does not work.  Really think it should. 

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

Hmm this does not even work with XmlTV as a guide source.

I would like to:

1) Asiign a number in tvg-id="101" etc.  This will be used to sort the guide in to MY channel order.

2) Map using channel-id="I24325.json.schedulesdirect.org" to the channel id in either xml or json data.

Krs

Mark

taylorbourne

It's the opposite, check my post above yours TVG-ID maps to the ID in the xml. From what I understand, CHANNEL-ID is used for the channel number.

maegibbons

Hi

@@taylorbourne and @@Luke

OK

So i tried:

"#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="2101" tvg-id="I69387.json.schedulesdirect.org" group-title="Entertainment",BBC 1 HD"

With emby native schedules direct parser and it "does not work"

To be precise no guide data is returned in to the EPG.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

maegibbons

No.  Thats the channel number i want to assign it.  i want the lookup to be by "I69387.json.schedulesdirect.org".

I have tried it both ways round swapping channel-id and tvg-id

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

The "I69387.json.schedulesdirect.org"

That is the SD "channel id" that appears in the xml file.  I am assuming you can do a json query based upon this value?

as in:

<channel id="I69387.json.schedulesdirect.org">
    <display-name>BBC One HD</display-name>
    <display-name>BBC1HD</display-name>
    <display-name>115</display-name>
    <icon width="360" height="270" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirect/assets/stationLogos/s69387_h3_aa.png" />
  </channel>

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

maegibbons

Are you saying you can only look up by number at the moment?  What about "BBC1HD" n the above example?

I am trying to get around the duplicate channels issue which is caused by multiple channels looking up "115" in the above example.

In SD (fot the UK) there are a lot of regional channels with the same number but the id is unique and so is the "BBC1HD" field.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons