Play From Here - Not working on SPMC & Shield TV, Works on Kodi

jnheinz
Go to solution Solved by feerlessleadr,

jnheinz

Newer Emby lifetime subscriber.. Thank you for the development of this product.  I migrated from an annual Plex subscriber to Emby lifetime, so I can finally get control of my metadata.

Picked up a Shield TV about a week ago.  Was looking for a device that is better than a Raspberry Pi 3 running OpenELEC.  So far, I love it with one problem.

Using latest stable Emby add-on (2.3.6), latest stable Emby server (Build 8500) on Windows Server 2012 R2.

SPMC on Shield TV - Fresh installation - Using all defaults on the Emby add-on, Play works.  Play From Here results in "Cannot find next item to play".

Kodi on Shield TV - Fresh installation - Using all defaults on the Emby add-on, Play & Play From Here works.

Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 running OpenELEC (Kodi 15.2) in my house have all continued to be successful with the Emby add-on.. Play From Here works.

Did a factory reset on the Shield TV & was able to reproduce it.  Installed SPMC, installed Emby stable add-on, let it complete its initial sync, restart SPMC.  Play From Here on any TV show fails.  It is using HTTP, so it is not a permissions error.  I would prefer to use SMB, but I am using HTTP for now.  I also tried the latest Emby beta add-on; no luck.

Please let me know which logs you would like to see.  I can work on gathering them as this is a hot feature in my household.  I've been told SPMC is identical to Kodi, but clearly, it is not absolutely identical.

jnheinz

Sounds like you need to ask the spmc dev if every other version of kodi works

I can if instructed.  I figured I would start here.. as I'm not sure which should be considered a more actively developed application at this point based on my reading & has a better future with the Shield TV.. SPMC or Kodi.  I can't possibly believe Kodi for Android would just completely flop on its face, but I have seen stranger things.

• Solution
feerlessleadr

This is a bug with SPMC that (unfortunately) the dev hasn't acknowledged as a bug. I posted about this same problem a number of months ago, and thankfully, if you switch your paths to direct rather than using the addon paths, play from here will work again. See below thread.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34007-play-from-here-error-using-spmc/

• Like 1

jnheinz

This is a bug with SPMC that (unfortunately) the dev hasn't acknowledged as a bug. I posted about this same problem a number of months ago, and thankfully, if you switch your paths to direct rather than using the addon paths, play from here will work again. See below thread.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34007-play-from-here-error-using-spmc/

Thanks.  How do you switch to using direct paths?  Do you mean uncheck the Play using HTTP instead of SMB or is there another setting I am missing?

jnheinz

I think I found the answer to my question.  It is the playback mode.. the very first question it asks you ... Native vs Addon.  Apparently I need to try native.  As far as I am concerned, nothing should be direct streaming or transcoding on this NVIDIA Shield TV... so this is probably a non-issue to switch it.  Everything should be direct play just like my RPi2 & RPi3.  All my media libraries are on a NAS with read access for all.. so permissions will not be an issue.  I will test it tonight.  Thank you again for the help.

Edited by jnheinz

jnheinz

@@jnheinz make sure your emby library paths are formatted correctly (as network paths, not local).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely configured correctly on that front.  The Emby server has no local storage, it is all network paths where guest has read-only permissions.  Test was successful last night.  Switching playback mode in Emby to Native allows Play From Here to work.  I don't watch trailers or plan on direct streaming or transcoding anything on this.

Dumb question though -- If Playback Mode is set to Native & HTTP playback is checked (instead of SMB) -- what happens?  I saw it pulling some videos directly from the storage array & some others it pulls from the Emby server as an intermediary.  Curious if these settings conflict with each other.

Angelblue05

Did you do a reset of the database after the playback mode switch? It's required. Most of the playback tab, except for the resume jump back option will have no effect on playback. Kodi is fully in charge of playback. The only time it will is when you send something to play remotely to Kodi, from Emby, and the content does not exist in Kodi already.

You can always check our github wiki for more info on each settings.

Edited by Angelblue05

jnheinz

Did you do a reset of the database? Most of the playback tab, except for the resume jump back option will have no effect on playback. Kodi is fully in charge of playback. The only time it will is when you send something to play remotely to Kodi, from Emby, and the content does not exist in Kodi already.

I actually removed SPMC & sent the Shield for a full factory reset (full wipe).. so there was no residual settings left behind.  I unchecked Play from HTTP (with Native Playback still on).. and it appears to be direct playing all videos directly from the array.  Play From Here still works.  So setting it to Native forks over all playback functionality to Kodi?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Correct. That is what Native playback is. Addon playback - the addon controls what happens at the time of playback, while Native leaves the Addon uninvolved (we insert direct paths to your content allowing Kodi full control of playback like when you didn't have the addon installed)

• Like 1

jnheinz

Correct. That is what Native playback is. Addon playback - the addon controls what happens at the time of playback, while Native leaves the Addon uninvolved (we insert direct paths to your content allowing Kodi full control of playback like when you didn't have the addon installed)

Excellent, thanks for the explanation.  That's how I wanted to use Emby on my NVIDIA Shield TV.

• Like 1

jnheinz

Question - Kind of indirectly related to the problem.  Are there any large® functional improvements with the Emby add-on for Kodi from the latest release to the latest beta?

I did test out Kodi 17 beta 6 with the latest release of the Emby add-on (2.3.6?) -- Worked great on the Shield.

Angelblue05

Only a few database tweaks regarding interaction to it (not database structure) and a slightly different way of getting server metadata (reduce the strain put on the server a bit).

• Like 1