Remote access when running vpn

miethos

Hello all - I'm getting old and not as good with networking as I once was,so be gentle.

So I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get this to work. I currently have a VPN from PIA up and running on my Nas (setup under network connections) , and I'm trying to remote connect to the server via the Emby Android app.

I've tried entering the remote Wan access ip, and am forwarding port 8096 on my router but still can't connect when I'm outside my local network.

Any idea for things I can try? Or is this a case where I have to choose to run a VPN or be able to access Emby outside my local network?

Thanks

Hi, no you don't have to choose, but first things first, do you know how to allow software through the VPN for external access?

What external address are you trying to connect with? Are you sure it's the right one?

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response. I guess that's the problem, I don't know how to properly let software through the VPN. Initially I was trying to setup the VPN so that only download station connected through it, but had no success. So I added the VPN as another gateway under network connections on the ds415.

The external address I'm trying to connect through is the one listed as the external wan on the Emby server management screen.

Thanks again for the help

Is this address correct? Please note that VPNs and proxies can make address detection a little trickier than without. Thanks.

Hi Luke,

So I've gone through the steps in the connection troubleshooter my remote access IP is showing as 46.x.x.x:8096, this appears to be the IP address assigned by the VPN. When I try to connect to this address I get an error that "The site cannot be reached x.x.x.x refused to connect" (where the x's represent my external IP). I have forwarded port 8096 on my router for the NAS' internal IP. 

If I look under the network interface on the synology, the VPN's IP is showing up as 10.37.x.x - neither of these is the same as my IP when not connecting through the NAS.

I hope that's clear, let me know if you need anything else. Maybe it's better to try on the PIA VPN site?

Thanks Luke, i checked out that thread. Looks like I can try binding emby to my non-vpn'd ip, so I'll give that a try. From my initial test doing that, I lost the ability to access emby through the synology server app running on the Nas - so I think I'm missing something, and will have to play around a little more.

Just a thought, but would there be any way to make the emby app available when we connect to the Nas via quick connect? Seems like that might be an easier solution for external access.

still stumped at this point - I'm thinking being to access via quickconnect may be the easiest solution across the board if it's something that's possible to implement. For now I'll just use Syno's Video Station for times I'm outside my home network.