Thumbnails and really slow scrubbing questions

gene0915

gene0915

Emby server is running on a Windows 7 64 bit OS, 3.5GHz i5 6600K with 8 gigs of RAM and a SSD for transcoding. Playback device is an Apple TV 4th gen with everything up to date.

Ran into a few issues;

1) When I last tried Emby (months and months ago), I could have sworn there was an option to adjust audio delay to compensate for out of sync video. I can't find that option on the client side any more, was it removed? This was a HUGE reason for me to look into alternatives for Plex. (Or did this option never exist and I'm just confusing it with Kodi?!)

2) I know that in Plex, you can optimize your library and it will go through and auto-generate thumbnails by creating lots and lots of .BIF files so when you're scrubbing a video, you see a little thumbnail representing where you are on the timeline so finding a favorite scene is easier. I think I read on the Emby forum here that this feature is automatically enabled (without consuming any disk space?) on the Apple TV and the media you're watching is an MP4. The problem is, all of my media is MKV and I see thumbnails on practically every movie I've tried. What's going on?

3) Speaking of scrubbing, when I was watching a home video (captured as 1080i AVCHD from my HD camera and placed in a MKV container), some times the video would take 30-60 seconds to start and when scrubbing, some times it would take another 15-45 seconds to start playing at that particular point. I see this same slowness when jumping around other movies (like my Blu-ray rip of Aliens) but it's REALLY bad on my home movies. And sometimes, Aliens was snappy at resuming video no matter where I was scrubbing to and other times, slow. My CPU wasn't under load on the server and I don't see this behavior with Plex. Any ideas? (Attaching log files for this issue.)

ffmpeg-transcode-c9158b8a-736c-45a8-89b4-6278b54ac3f0.txt

server-63616004727.txt

Thanks

1) That option has never existed in this app because we are using the standard Apple player which doesn't have such a control.

2) BIF files are used on the Roku but not this platform.  The Apple TV itself generates these on the fly and it may do it for some other formats after the update to tvOS 10.

3) Looks like you are burning in graphic subs which would be a very taxing operation.

If all of your content is in an MKV container, at the very least, everything will have to undergo a container swap to play on the Apple TV.  It has very limited format support.

gene0915

1) That option has never existed in this app because we are using the standard Apple player which doesn't have such a control.

2) BIF files are used on the Roku but not this platform.  The Apple TV itself generates these on the fly and it may do it for some other formats after the update to tvOS 10.

3) Looks like you are burning in graphic subs which would be a very taxing operation.

If all of your content is in an MKV container, at the very least, everything will have to undergo a container swap to play on the Apple TV.  It has very limited format support.

1) Ok, maybe I'm just confused then. Or was it an option on the Roku app?

3) Turning off the subtitles appears to have fixed the sluggishness but a new problem replaced it. When I turn off subtitles, the video plays and I get either no video but I can hear the audio or a message pops up on the screen about 'an error has occurred' and nothing happens.

Attaching a new server log file and for the transcoding logs, I combined a bunch into one and separated each by a line of asterisks vs. attaching 15 files as I quickly tried a bunch of settings. I can reproduce this at will and can give you a single log file if you prefer for each problem (audio, no video and total failure).

server-63616013164.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-4f1a6562-e5bf-40d8-986e-40f8c9c62357.txt

Edited by gene0915

Since I can't tell which of those logs had what problem it is tough to tell what is going on but I wonder if the device is having trouble with 59.97 fps?

Can you provide a sample file?