MCE remote - what am I doing wrong

ecs0set

Hi,

I've switched over from MediaPortal 1.x / Argus to Emby / NextPVR.  However it immediately failed the WAC test as the MCE remote had almost no functionality.  I could pause live TV and unpause it but none of the buttons would rewind and the guide navigation appears to be intermittent (selection box doesn't always appear, guide just scrolls).

I must be doing something wrong as there are other threads about remote control.  These say that you should change it from touch to Keyboard/Mouse control, however that no longer appears to be an option.  Could it be due to the NextPVR integration (I don't think I have a choice as HDHomeRun in the UK is almost non-existant)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian.

PS. Emby otherwise sounds like the perfect solution.  If the server could default to running as a service and therefore support auto-upgrade without manual effort, it would be ideal.

7illusions

I'd say that out of a LiveTV + MCE usecase, the Ember app still needs some work.

LiveTV improvements is high up in the priority list, but I can't say when it will be implemented I'm afraid

Ah, ok.  I thought the Ember app was the recommended solution for an HTPC over Emby Theatre.  Does remote control work fine in Emby Theatre then?  Because I'm happy to spend a few quid on the Ember app but I'm not paying a subscription or lifetime licence for Emby Premier if the basics aren't finished yet.

I don't wish to be ungrateful, however Emby isn't a free app like MediaPortal and Kodi.  Once you start paying for it, you have higher expectations about functionality and reliability.

I'd love to see a prioritised list of user stories and maybe even some Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD) making it across to HTPC software.  I don't really understand how you can get to a point where you are polishing minor UI features and bringing out yet more clients but still have some major feature gaps (IMHO) like remote control and photo slideshows*.  That's not directed entirely at Emby but all of the MediaPortal / Kodi / Plex equivalents that seem to ignore the most obvious user requirements.

Sorry, don't mean to have a rant.  Just a bit disappointed that my client/server, access-anywhere replacement for MCE suffers from the same issues as all the others :(

Ian.

* And by MINOR UI improvements, I see 3.0.8400 adds "Fix saving person place of birth in metadata editor".  Really, that was top of the priority list?

Remote control works perfectly in Emby Theater.

OK, that's promising.  Is there a feature comparison between the apps somewhere?  I'm hovering over the lifetime subscription option, however I'm worried about what other things I might find that "still need some work".

You can try Emby Theater without having to buy anything. My suggestion would be to do that and see how you feel about it.

jhoff80

For me, I find that I prefer Ember on tablet/phone, and Emby Theater on TV (though admittedly I prefer Kodi with the Emby addon to that because of Kodi's extensibility).