64-bit OS issue?

jeffbhe
Go to solution Solved by jeffbhe,

So I've been thrilled with the newer version 3 of MB.  Installed the MB server in Dec 2013 and followed with MBC right after.  I've been seeing the notes while in Media Center to update MBC but it fails every time.  So when I saw 117 was released today, I started pursuing further to get it installed. 

I'm currently running MB Server Version 3.0.5135.31685 with MBC Version 3.0.100.0 B12-4.1.  So I went to MBC Configurator and tried the "Check for System Update Now...".  Told me there was 3.0.117.0 found and when trying to update I get an error telling me "Error checking for update:  unspecified error".  Since this didn't work I tried running the MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.Exe file and I get an error related to the file not being compatible with my version of Windows.  It references getting the correct, x86 vs. x64, version of the file.

I am running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bit OS.

Am I missing something stupid?

In your %appdata%\MediaBrowser-InstallLogs folder there is a file called mbc-install.log.  Please post it.

So I looked in my mbc-install.log and there is nothing in the file.  While there I looked into the server-install and server-update files and they have the basic outline of everything installing ok.  Looking deeper into the mbc-install, it is 2KB in size and I can tell there are characters in there when highlighting it all but can't see anything; whereas it's all fine in the other two files...  ?

Anyway, here is the log file in hopes that someone can help me with it:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62625380/mbc-install.log

Not the setup file.  Can you still run the current version of MBC you have and let it try the update again.

I suspect you are just running into the fact that our server is bogged down with both new server and MBC versions on a Friday evening.

Hmmm... so I went back into WMC and let it trigger that there is an update.  Told me there was 117 and I tried to install it from within WMC.  Gave me an error and told me to install manually.  This was happening several days ago with update 108 also...  Like my first post, I've tried it through the MBC configurator with no luck as well...

newfiend

Could it be that your user account isn't the Admin account in Windows 7?

Have you tried un-installing MBC and then Downloading the new MBC installer from the MB3 site?

newfiend~

My account is an admin account...

So I went to try and uninstall and I get an error that it cannot find the source in AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser.  Checked that location and there is no such directory.  So now how do I uninstall it?

newfiend

I know you said you can't update, but can you go to the mb3 site and download the MBC installer and update that route? It sounds like maybe some files got deleted on your system that are needed for removal (such as the uninstaller) I'm not at my PC at the moment to check that directory.. If you can reinstall over the existing installation it may replace the missing files. If that doesn't work you may have to manually remove all the files and then reinstall.. If that's the case I would contact Luke or Ebr, they would probably be able to help you do a manual removal.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

The 7th post of this thread shows the error log I get when trying to simply install again through the MB3 website.  I'll pursue the manual removal and see where that takes me...

newfiend

Are you up to date on windows updates? From the log file and some quick google'n it could be caused by a needed .NET framework update. Try installing the latest .NET framework (I think it's 4.5 now) then run windows update to make sure 4.5 is also up to date. I don't know for sure it will do any good but its worth a try and having the most up to date .NET framework isn't bad either.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Okay, you said something told you to install manually?  What, exactly how?  We don't have anything that should tell you that...

When I launch WMC and go into MB3, after a few seconds in MB3, I get a notification that there is an update for MBC.  I go to install it and it tells me that WMC will close to install and then restart.  I click OK and then I get an error message that it could not install and says the update must be installed manually.

Also, I've tried removing the Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser directory and then tried clearing the ClickOnce cache.  MBC is still installed.  My next step is to turn on hidden files and folders to see if I'm missing something...  but the wife is watching shows through MBC at the moment...  ;)

More to follow; any other advice/suggestions would be great!

Ahhhh... now that is interesting.  That is an entirely different can of worms.

Is your program files folder in some sort of custom place or is it possible the current user doesn't have access to it?

Can you please post the MBCommonXml.config file that is in %appdata%\mediabrowser-classic\configurations?

Basically, we can't run our installer on your machine - which is what you've found trying to run it manually as well.  There isn't an architecture problem - we are compiled for x86 and target both platforms and have no problems with that.  It has to be something else - either permissions or some other component that is screwing it up.

Wow.  Now I'm absolutely curious as to how did it install in the first place.  Remember that part of the errors I've seen are mentioning x64 as I am running Win7 SP1 64 bit.

Anyway, here is the MBCommonXml.config file:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62625380/MBCommonXml.config.

I have created 4 users for MB3 with myself being the admin user (Jeff).  On my PC I only have 1 windows user, that being myself (Jeff) with admin rights...

Everything I'm doing is running great except the Android app I purchased as it won't stream but I'll save that for another thread once we get this resolved...  I have the server and MBC running on the same machine and I have used MB Theater on 2 different machines and tried the web interface on yet 3 other machines without an issue (all internal to my network - soon I'll be trying external)...

Well, something else interesting has happened now.  In my previous post I was stating that MB Theater was working so I decided to go to one of my machines that I have it installed on and try again and now I get this error:

52e46b177bdc2_Capture04.png

Everything is still working on the machine with the server though...

Something on your machine has changed since you successfully installed MBC.  I'm not sure what but something is keeping our installer from being able to run.

Try this, though - change this line in your common config file:

<MBInstallDir>file:\C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser</MBInstallDir>

To this:

<MBInstallDir>C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser</MBInstallDir>

Then try and do the update from within MBC.

So I was looking through my MB server and noticed that I had set mine up to "Run server at startup".  So on a chance I exited from the tray icon and then went into services and started it there.  I was then immediately able to use MB Theater on my other machine.  Weird, but at least MB Theater is working again...

Anyway, that prompted me to try the MBC install again but keep getting the same error...

I changed the common config file like you said and then restarted MB server.  Then went to the web site to try the MBC install again but am getting the same error as before...