Sony Android TV - audio out of sync

chenks

with the various attempts this evening (i think 4 attempts with the same chapter issue), twice i got a grey screen when trying to get back into emby, and twice it went back in OK. when the grey screen, when going back out the app and back in again it then went to a black screen. it was then i had to force stop the app before i could get back in again. and a couple of occasions i got the standard android "this app has stopped responding" message.

either way, chapter selection is not working.

and that's even before the audio sync issue takes affect.

Edited by chenks

Okay, thanks for all the information.  A new beta will go out later today.  It won't exactly fix this issue (because we don't know what it is yet and can't reproduce it right now) but I think it may avoid it by allowing these items to not transcode for you.  If that is true, then that should also solve the sync issue.  I'm thinking the two items may be interrelated and that there is something about these particular videos that may be strange. If you could dropbox one of them and PM me or Luke the link, maybe we can reproduce it.

Thanks.

The files are both in excess of 3GB and I don't have the upstream to upload them in any kind of timely manner. Upstream is 1Mbps.

1 is a 1080P movie with DTS audio track, and the other a 720P TV show with 5.1 audio track.

just got the 1.3.2g update.

mixed bag of results

updated, cleared cache and cleared app data - to start from afresh.

audit setting is set to direct

the 1080P DTS movies.... plays fine, chapter skipping was OK when tested, audio sync OK... shows Direct/V

the 720P 5.1 audio TV show.... chapter skipping still not working, audio is silent. the clock counter continues to count up as if it is playing, but the image is frozen.... shows

Trans/I

a new bug though?.... on the main emby home screen i have the same item listed three times as "Continue Watching"

58489ede0ee25_IMG_20161207_234217.jpg

logs

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1499080/Log3.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1499080/serverLog2.txt

a new bug though?.... on the main emby home screen i have the same item listed three times as "Continue Watching"

58489ede0ee25_IMG_20161207_234217.jpg

That's a new one.  My guess is a very slow response from the server for some reason.  I'll have to see if I can simulate it and account for it.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't an anomaly though - meaning, if you exit and come back, I would expect it to clear up.

What happens if you set the audio mode to "Direct"?

The item that is transcoding is DD+.  Wondering if your TV is reporting that as not supported.

it already is set to direct, and there was no audio. emby is transcoding the file.

the DTS file i tested had audio.

Edited by chenks

According to the last log from the app, it was set to downmix...

I think maybe we've done too many iterations of too many changes.  Can you re-do the test with a single file that is a problem and send the log from the app and post the ffmpeg log here?

will start from scratch.

just installed another update to 1.3.4g

cleared all the app data, and logs.

audio output set to direct

first test

1080P movie MKV with DTS audio.

playback starts fine - DIRECT/V... audio is fine......direct chapter selection OK.

second test

720P TV show MKV with DD+ 5.1 audio

playback starts fine - TRANS/I.... audio is out of sync.... direct chapter selection OK.

so it appears that 1.3.4g has fixed the chapter select issue.

but i still have audio sync issues with the DD+ file

logs uploaded from app

server and ffmpeg logs here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ri9etv5osbwjhxp/AACvv-jtLx-CPB7CpweJdsqua?dl=0

Okay, thanks.

I still think it almost has to be the transcoding process that is creating the sync issue.

Your TV is reporting that it only supports stereo...

12-08 17:55:34.253 15328 15328 I System.out: Max Audio Channels reported as: 2

I understand.  The problem is that, from a system perspective, it isn't telling that same story.

I'm trying to make the app "just work" for people instead of them always having to know what their TV supports and go change settings to make audio play.  Unfortunately, it appears that relying on the information reported by the system is a dubious undertaking :|.

ah but in this instance the app isn't "just working".

plex doesn't have any issues with this file, so emby is doing something that plex doesn't.

this TV was able to direct play a file with DTS audio, and the audio was fine.

clearly the TV isn't cable of playing DTS audio on it's own.

I know but that is because the system is lying to us.

I will have to go back to not being so smart I guess.  Which is a real shame because then we have other people who get no sound and complain because the app is stupid :).

mastrmind11

Maybe a section under Advanced where you can set DP/Transcode per device, and all devices default to "auto" like you have it now?  Best of both worlds, imo.

Jdiesel

I know but that is because the system is lying to us.

I will have to go back to not being so smart I guess.  Which is a real shame because then we have other people who get no sound and complain because the app is stupid :).

How about a setup test procedure? Go through an automated procedure of different test clips of audio and video formats and prompt the user after it plays if they heard/saw anything? Not exactly a simple addition but it might please both sides of the spectrum. 

Edited by Jdiesel