Transcoding (or not) and CPU requirement

ravinsinnasami

ravinsinnasami

Hi, 

I have an I5-3570K Desktop that hosts the Emby server which servers file to Raspberry Pi 2 running Openelec using Emby for Kodi addon.

During the configuration process, it asked to choose a Playback mode between Addon (default) or Native (Direct Path). If choosing the Addon (default) option, does that mean all my files are transcoded?

In the Emby server panel, the transcoding option was not touched at all.

The DLNA setting, for KODI profile is set as following:

Direct Play: Video, Audio and Pictures are set to apply to all Containers, Codecs and Audio.

Transcoding: Empty.

If my files from Emby server are not transcoded, can I know what the minimum CPU requirement I need to play 5 videos simultaneously? Or is this affected by other factors?

My aim is to not have the files transcoded and to play at least 5 videos simultaneously.

Thanks.

Jdiesel

During the configuration process, it asked to choose a Playback mode between Addon (default) or Native (Direct Path). If choosing the Addon (default) option, does that mean all my files are transcoded?

No the addon playback mode will still direct play. Native mode just uses network paths if configured correctly on the server end.

If my files from Emby server are not transcoded, can I know what the minimum CPU requirement I need to play 5 videos simultaneously? Or is this affected by other factors?

A rough estimate is a passmark score of 1500-2000 per 1080p stream. Your CPU has a score of 7000 so you should be pretty close to that 5 stream mark. This is just an estimate though, your results may vary.

Jdiesel

The DLNA setting, for KODI profile is set as following:

Direct Play: Video, Audio and Pictures are set to apply to all Containers, Codecs and Audio.

Transcoding: Empty.

The DLNA settings will not affect playback when using the Kodi for Emby plugin.

ravinsinnasami

No the addon playback mode will still direct play. Native mode just uses network paths if configured correctly on the server end.

A rough estimate is a passmark score of 1500-2000 per 1080p stream. Your CPU has a score of 7000 so you should be pretty close to that 5 stream mark. This is just an estimate though, your results may vary.

The DLNA settings will not affect playback when using the Kodi for Emby plugin.

Hi, 

Thanks for clarifying that.

So, supposedly I'm building a NAS with emby server. Even if the addon is direct play, I should get a cpu assuming all my streams are transcoded streams (just to be on the safe side). So, for 5 1080p streams, i would need around 10K score at least, correct? And I just search for a CPU that could provide a slightly higher score than that?

Thank you.

Jdiesel

It's a good place to start. I would do a search on the forums to see what others are using for hardware for similar results. Or make a new post in the General area looking for advice. I would guess that a recent desktop Intel i7 should have no problem. To make matters more complicated hardware encoding support, while experimental at the moment, is improving greatly.

Good topic. What method is less cpu and ram blocking? Addon (default) or Native (Direct Path).since my nas is slow and has less ram, which method is the best? I do not want transcoding

Angelblue05

Both method will allow for direct playing. What I suggest if it's your first time setting is up is to go with the default (addon) and see how it performs. If you want to use direct play via your network rather than your server, you can disable the play from http in the addon settings > playback tab. This will let you know if Kodi can access your paths (useful to figure out if Native playback would work with your current paths). Otherwise, if even all that, if you find it's too slow to start playback, that's when I normally recommend Native playback mode.

What is important is to make sure your paths are correct before syncing if you are using Native playback mode (because they are directly inserted into the database, to change them would require a reset of your database).

Note, to switch between playback mode, you will need to reset your database as they are two separate path structure.

Edited by Angelblue05

Hello,

i am not happy with the default settings. Somehow it feels kind of slow. I tried to disable the HTTP option, but now i can not play any video. What could be wrong?

Angelblue05

What are your library paths like? Do you have the shared network path filled in for each library? In the dashboard > library > select individual libraries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your library paths like? Do you have the shared network path filled in for each library? In the dashboard > library > select individual libraries

Hi, i have the libraries on my synology nas. do you mean dayshoud inside kodi? i think i did not insert anything there....

Angelblue05

Just tell me what your paths look like and I'll be able to suggest how to fix them so they can be playable in Kodi.