LiveTV Support?

TechLife

TechLife

Now that Live TV is supported in MB3, are there any plans to bring it to the Roku?  ServerWMC remuxes on the fly to a .TS file (which I assume can be played on Roku) so it seems possible...

woznicbh

Expect a big donation from me once LiveTV is available on the roku. I have been looking forever for another way to get livetv to my boxes and this solution is awesome. 

I have one question though. With the newest release by SiliconDust with their hdhomerun v4 that does hardware transcoding to h.264 which is natively played on the roku. Would this bypass the need for the remux on the server and direct play to the roku?

You may not have had much time to really look into it but it sounds like it should be far more straight forward than the current versions.

Thanks,

woznicbh

I realize the roku doesn't see the tuners and only sees what the server is passing it. What I was asking is if the server will direct play the hdhomeruns hardware transcoded h.264 to the roku as the roku natively plays the format? This would be easier on my CPU as it does a lot of encoding now of recorded tv shows (to remove commercials and reencode) and the live tv via MB3 degrades during these times. However, if it were to just pass the stream on to the player (say the roku) and browser instead of remuxing it would save a lot on my cpu and the lag I see due to my processor overclocking.

woznicbh

Maybe so but it does not seem that way on my server as during remuxing ffmpeg is utilizing ~55% of my cpu just watching live from my laptop. I see that it is using ffmpeg 32-bit. Can I install 64-bit to make it more efficient? 

We are encoding and remuxing and that's why it's using cpu. It will improve over time. There's nothing you can do on your end.

anything the roku app does will go through the server. it's not going to know anything about your tuner, or even that it's a silicon dust at all

Remuxing is cheap. It's encoding that's not. Remuxing is almost always going to be necessary but i think if the tv service provider can give us that feed then it can be done. Not only does roku not know anything about your tuners, neither does the server.