Emby app won't transcode

Chomicz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi

Only recently noticed that my Emby server is no longer transcoding to my Android devices when it plays through the Emby app.  The server is transcoding the file, as there's a file being created and the logs claim its doing something.  If I play through an "external player" the file plays fine and the web apps work. Any one else also have transcoding problems on just Android devices, not Chromecast as that works fine.  I've attached my log files.  Let me know if you need anything else.

ffmpeg-transcode-0e6dc057-18fb-48a6-afdb-9e4404c2c49b.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-2c10b4f0-0b05-4c3a-9879-a814cd78cbd0.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a88cb134-d227-450e-a8e1-27b743ad91e6.txt

server-63615482036.txt

Hi @@Chomicz, what do you mean no longer transcodes? Are you saying it is transcoding but just won't play? Thanks !

Hi.  Sorry, first thing in the morning post.  What I meant was that it didn't play, but appeared to be transcoding (it was creating files).

In addition, please try this version of ffmpeg:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Resources/tree/master/ffmpeg/windows

You can download it then customize it in the Emby Server dashboard under Transcoding. Thanks !

I've downloaded this version and everything seems fixed now.  Will test during the day.  Cheers for the fix.

In addition, please try this version of ffmpeg:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Resources/tree/master/ffmpeg/windows

You can download it then customize it in the Emby Server dashboard under Transcoding. Thanks !

After a half day of testing, I'd say this fixed my problem.  Turns out I should be using Emby's build of FFMPEG and not Zeranoe's official and/or nightly releases.  Cheers for the quick fix.  Gotta love Emby (and all the people too).

• Like 1

SuperCurro

I have the same problem but in Linux Ubuntu 16.04. I can watch the movie from any device except android app that transcoding but not play on the android app.

What version of FFMPEG should I use?

Edited by SuperCurro
  • Like 1

I have the same problem but in Linux Ubuntu 16.04. I can watch the movie from any device except android app that transcoding but not play on the android app.

What version of FFMPEG should I use?

Hi there, let's start from the beginning. Please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
SuperCurro

Hi there, let's start from the beginning. Please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

Of Course

For one month I have not be able to play files from android app, but yes with an external app or android web browser. 

When I press play with the andoird emby app I have this screenshot forever:

585580aec1708_photo_20161217_191428.jpg

It seems everything ok, but it doesnt play.

PD: I have reinstalled emby app and only works if I have direct play without recodification. With direct play runs, but if I select ie 720p 4mbps it doenst.

20161217 Log Fallo android ffmpeg.txt

20161217 Log Fallo android.txt

Edited by SuperCurro

my emby android client only transcode when i set a max bitrate in app settings. Quality settings on playback are ignoring me.

Thx

Xiaomi Mi5.

Edited by tomimc

SuperCurro

that is not my case, it only plays if the quality is max and then dont transcode.

I have tested to change the default quality and it doesnt work, only with max bit rate it works. I have intall again the app, and with the latest version  3.1.1.0.

The rest aplications W10, WMC, Mxplayer, chrome, firefox etc runs perfect.

that is not my case, it only plays if the quality is max and then dont transcode.

I have tested to change the default quality and it doesnt work, only with max bit rate it works. I have intall again the app, and with the latest version  3.1.1.0.

The rest aplications W10, WMC, Mxplayer, chrome, firefox etc runs perfect.

i solved what you say changing  ffmpeg version to https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Resources/tree/master/ffmpeg/windows

but quality settings in emby app ignored me. server log is not getting any petition from android client.

There is a defect in ffmpeg 3.2 that is causing this. If 3.2 is what you have installed, then try to go back to an older version. We are reporting the issue to ffmpeg and we have some confidence it will be merged in quickly since it is an obvious regression.

All this is caused by a bug recently introduced into the ffmpeg code.

Opposed to other streaming services, Emby is performing on-demand transcoding in realtime.

For MKV encoding, ffmpeg writes to the header twice: At the start and when transcoding is finished.

The current bug occurs when writing the header for the first time and leaves the header corrupt while the file is being transcoded. But when transcoding is finished, the second write operation fixes the header, so that a file that is checked upon completion of transcoding doesn't have any header error.

Since Emby already sends the file while it is still being transcoded, the client will receive the incorrect header and will possibly fail.

• Like 1

We are looking at patching a fix into ffmpeg, in the meantime, using an older ffmpeg version will work just fine.

I am using ffmpeg version:

ffmpeg version N-52954-g295de3e-static http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/  Copyright © 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 5.3.1 (Debian 5.3.1-8) 20160205

and quality setting on playback from emby android client still not working.

Hi there @@tomimc, I tested this with no problem found. In order for us to best help you, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

SuperCurro

My ffmpeg version 3.2.2-1~16.04.york1 Copyright © 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers

How can I set up an older version for ubuntu 16.06?

Regards

Pc

I uninstall jonathonf source

sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

Uninstall ffmpeg and again install by default.

ffmpeg version 2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 Copyright © 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers

Now works on app with transcode but doenst move forward or change the bitrate (only runs with the default one of the app).

Edited by SuperCurro

ffmpeg version 2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 Copyright © 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers

Now works on app with transcode but doenst move forward or change the bitrate (only runs with the default one of the app).

thats the same problem i have.

Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Emby Server BETA 3.1.161.0 beta

Last android emby client from playstore.

When i play from android client, and quality settings is set in auto, i can playback ok, i can move forward too but always is in direct stream. When i go to settings, playback and set max bitrate ex: 720p 1mbit , then i go to play any movie, and start ok transcoding but i cant move forward, i cant change bitrate, i cant change audio stream.

i checked in log server and server is not getting any from client to change quality,audio streams etc.

Log-server.txt

log-transcode.txt

• 2 weeks later...
tvinhas

We are looking at patching a fix into ffmpeg, in the meantime, using an older ffmpeg version will work just fine.

@@Luke where do I change which ffmpeg Emby is going to use?

I can't find any option for that under Transcoding in Emby Manager.

SuperCurro

If we use an old version of fmpeg then we can not go forward or start at other point, the movie always start form the beginning and you can not change that.

If we use an old version of fmpeg then we can not go forward or start at other point, the movie always start form the beginning and you can not change that.

@@SuperCurro, i can't reproduce that, sorry. In order for us to best help you, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !