Emby Theater on PS4

Luke

I tested http://tv.emby.media on a PS4 tonight and what I saw was a fully functional experience with one issue that needs to be resolved. The issue is that the video OSD always remains open, but this is easily resolved.

Can anyone else try it and comment? Thanks !

Jdiesel

Good to hear. I have a friend who occasionally accesses my server from his laptop but was reluctant to spend money on a compatible device. I will have him test out the web version on his PS4 when he has a chance.

Okay I figured i'd come across to this post in an effort to stop duplicate discussions.

I have just come across a strange problem. I'll try to be brief.

Since we have the osd bug for the ps4, i decided to go ahead and make a custom skin in order to change a little css so that the osd is opacity 0 unless actively hovered over, this worked great. However;

The skin/plugin is shown as installed on chrome (on laptop) and i can choose the skin aswell and all works well. I then go over to the ps4 browser and it acts as if the skin isn't installed at all, like no info in the plug in screen and no option to select it on the skin select option. Weird?

I figured probably just the ps4 browser using old files, but i went ahead and wiped all browser data on the ps4 and I am still having this problem?

Any ideas?

EDIT:

I noticed sound effects isn't even an option on the ps4 settings are on emby theater, this makes sense to me but i figured I would mention it as it seems the ps4 and chrome versions are separated somehow (which would be why the plugins don't mirror, although this is a bit odd?) could you elaborate on this ?

Edited by knottz

It's an in-app installation and has to be installed on each installation of the app. There is opportunity to improve this but it probably won't happen until we actually have an alternative skin or two.

Okay that's fine, I was wondering if this was intentional or not. 

I fixed the osd with a simple dirty :hover trick haha

Well I imagine the actual issue is the ps4 web engine not supporting css animations so i need to add detection of that to app framework. I've seen the same thing on LG so the same fix should handle them both.

I would agree with that.

Anyone else who is currently experiencing the ps4 on-screen-display not disappearing and covering 20% portion of the lower screen, install this as a plugin and switch it as your active theme, it literally does nothing other than provides a temporary solution to this problem, once it is fixed you can simply remove it. 

https://knottz.github.io/retouchedskin/package.json

Thanks for the snappy and helpful responses Luke, anymore problems I encounter I will be sure to report them but all in all its a nice experience, absolutely love the screensavers too :)

Edited by knottz

Are the plugins meant to be separate for individual users also?

& if so, is there a way to manually do the plugins behind the scenes instead of having to login to each user and then install from url and set the skin? 

I think the whole idea of skins would be much better if you could set a global skin for everyone. 

Edited by knottz

That's strange, I installed the plugin on user1 on ps4 browser all good.

user2 went on his ps4 and the plugin is not there for him and he also had to install plugin and then was all good..

??

I've pushed an update to resolve the OSD getting stuck. Can you try it out? Thanks !

Is this a beta or dev build by any chance?

I'm still on standard, if so ill move to the beta or dev build and try it out.

On a side note - I noticed that the music player doesn't work on the ps4, the albums dont even show up. (Not myself that concerned over this)

Edited by knottz

The Emby Theater app does not have beta/stable revisions, so it's just a matter of trying it again from your PS4.

The Emby Theater app does not have beta/stable revisions, so it's just a matter of trying it again from your PS4.

I wiped all data from my ps4's browser, it still gets frozen.. 

What I did notice is that the top header bar dimms after a few seconds but the osd doesn't hide.

have you tried it yourself? did it work?

Edited by knottz

I cleared all website data, three times, restarted the ps4, closed all open tabs and tried the page via three links tv.emby.media and two other links i use personally (all this to ensure no old files were still being used) 

And well sorry to say but the OSD still remains... 

I would like to mention again that the top header with the logo and time at the top does dim after a few seconds. I want to mention this as it may help find a solution to this as whatever code is working to dim the top may work in order to hide the controls at the bottom. 

Now the OSD drops away like it is supposed to but the video is cropped so that 20% on the right is just black... 

ohno.png

Edited by knottz