Trying to install Emby on QNap TS 453a - setup cannot see ffmpeg - help!

F1nchy

Hi all

The version of Emby in the QNap store is out of date so I've downloaded 3.0.8500.0 and installed that. When I first run it's taking me through the setup, but I cannot get past the page where I need to tell it where ffmpeg is located. 

I have downloaded ffmpeg from the link given, extracted the contents and copied them over to the QNap (via WinSCP), but even when I point to the folder it's telling me it cannot find ffmpeg, or ffprobe, which is also in that folder. 

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy, I've tried putting the ffmepg into different locations (ie shared on the NAS, local to the Emby install) but it just cannot see it. 

I'm downloading the standard x64 download for Emby. 

Any ideas? It's not reporting that I'm using the wrong version of ffmpeg, it's actually saying it can't locate it in the folder in which it is definitely in. 

Edited by F1nchy

Master of Tragedy

When I installed the x64 standard version on my QNAP it just installed fine and took some default path for ffmpeg.

I never had to write it myself. I can't remember if it was pre-filled or whatever but I had to do nothing special and after installation the ffmpeg path in the settings was pointing to an existing ffmpeg inside the emby directory.

• 5 weeks later...
Master of Tragedy

But why should we install the ffmpeg static package at all?

I noticed that the enclosed one works just as good if not better.

It is really not clear what the difference is.

• 3 weeks later...
scouser1023

The link has changed its now offmpeg 3.2.2 and will not install on a qnap rom earlier than 4.3.0 which is not available for the device I have to-451. I have not checked beta ROMs don't need to go there.

scouser1023

Take it back. The link works. Searching on the forum provides the latest one that will not work with all qnap devices.

Take it back. The link works. Searching on the forum provides the latest one that will not work with all qnap devices.

Hi @@scouser1023, can you elaborate a little more? which link works and which one does not? Thanks !

scouser1023

Sorry. The link above works to the ffmpeg the one posted. If you try to find it without the link you find qffmpeg. It looks like it's the same thing but a few more items bundled in and states it works with the mono dependency, the same version we are using. When you try to install qffmpeg it requires a rom min on the qnap. This looks like it maybe a bit of a juggle depending on what qnap you have.

So currently I have ffmpeg 3.22, qmono 4.4.2.11, and Emby 3.1.2.0 and it all works. Still trying to understand how to use remote shares in the Emby app however all local files work. And the app works 110 percent better than the windows VM I had on the qnap.

scouser1023

Thanks for all your hard work! It really is appreciated. And seriously the app vs a VM is amazing. Need some time to check out the client performance.