Samsung TV to be main client

clarkss12

clarkss12

I plan on making my new 2016 Samsung UN65KU6500 smart TV my main client for Emby.  I am using my Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10 microPC as my Emby server.  So far most of my DVD and BlueRay rips play pretty, but some that have HD audio codecs do not play well.

I have been testing several different videos with different codecs and some show some very strange things.  For instance, I was watching one of my oldie war movies, Sgt. York, and it played flawlessly, but the strange part, it was being transcoded on the fly.  It is even showing subtitles.

Perhaps someone can explain how it is playing so well, eventhough it is being transcoded on the fly.

see attached files.

Server log was too large to upload.  10.8MB.  If needed, I can upload to Dropbox and post the link here.

Sgt York ffmpg log.txt

Sgt. York mediainfo.txt

Transcoding isn't the dirty word some make it out to be :).  In fact, almost every one of your videos has to undergo some sort of conversion before it can be displayed on your screen.  The only questions are exactly where and by what this conversion will be accomplished.

In the case you posted above, your server did the conversion and was able to do it fast enough to provide a smooth playback experience.  In that case, just sit back and enjoy the show.

clarkss12

Transcoding isn't the dirty word some make it out to be :).  In fact, almost every one of your videos has to undergo some sort of conversion before it can be displayed on your screen.  The only questions are exactly where and by what this conversion will be accomplished.

In the case you posted above, your server did the conversion and was able to do it fast enough to provide a smooth playback experience.  In that case, just sit back and enjoy the show.

My problem with transcoding on the fly, means more expensive hardware and higher energy bill to run that hardware.

clarkss12

Last night I watched my BlueRay rip of "The Green Berets" all the way through using Plex and it played flawlessly.  When I tried (several times) to play it using Emby, it buffers every 10 seconds, making it unwatchable.  

What I don't understand is why Plex can play it, but not Emby.  I am using my low powered Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10 microPC as my server hardware.  My client is my 2016 Samsung smart TV.

I am sure that Emby is trying to transcode, but not sure how Plex is handling it.

Again, I am trying to make my Samsung TV my primary client, and my inexpensive microPC as my server.

The Green Berets mediainfo.txt

ffmpeg log 1.txt

ffmpeg log 2.txt

ffmpeg log 3.txt

ffmpeg log 4.txt

What I don't understand is why Plex can play it, but not Emby.  I am using my low powered Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10 microPC as my server hardware.  My client is my 2016 Samsung smart TV.

Hi. Luke answered that question here.  Your continuing to report the details of items that cause transcoding when they maybe shouldn't will help us refine this.  However, you have to also keep in mind the fairly glacial speed of getting new releases out on this particular platform :).

For Green Beret's, according to the Samsung K-series specs, VC1 is supported only to 20Mbps and TrueHD is not supported.  I'm sure Plex must transcode this as well. Your transcoding at 11fps is a problem here.  I think you can reduce the transcoding quality which may help if your box can't process it faster.  This should make it play like Plex.   If you can provide a short sample to download with the same format I can test it to confirm whether DirectPlay is possible but I expect not.

For the Fugitive, DirectPlay of MPEG2 in mkv container was added recently, this release may be the version waiting to be published.

DirectPlaying of subs without ffmpeg extraction is testing and will possibly be in the next submission after the current is released.

clarkss12

For Green Beret's, according to the Samsung K-series specs, VC1 is supported only to 20Mbps and TrueHD is not supported.  I'm sure Plex must transcode this as well. Your transcoding at 11fps is a problem here.  I think you can reduce the transcoding quality which may help if your box can't process it faster.  This should make it play like Plex.   If you can provide a short sample to download with the same format I can test it to confirm whether DirectPlay is possible but I expect not.

For the Fugitive, DirectPlay of MPEG2 in mkv container was added recently, this release may be the version waiting to be published.

DirectPlaying of subs without ffmpeg extraction is testing and will possibly be in the next submission after the current is released.

I agree with what you said, however, Plex played "The Green Berets" flawlessly and my Denon AVR showed Dolby Digital.  I don't understand how it showed Dolby Digital when "mediainfo" did not show as a audio format, but it did.

How can I create a raw short section of that video?  I added some pics of it.

post-38990-0-66867500-1479763761_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-03944500-1479763772_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-31665600-1479763777_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-03041000-1479763782_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-86450400-1479763786_thumb.jpg

Possibly Plex is picking up the AC3 audio track, or it is transcoding audio only (for the TrueHD).  Can you confirm whether Plex is really DirectPlaying the video?  It may that it is transcoding but at a lower quality to Emby which is why you don't have buffering issues with Plex.  You can try reducing the transcoding quality in the server settings and see if this fixes the buffering issue.

To make a sample (by cutting/splitting) try:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVtoolnix

Here is a quick guide, look at the split modes

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/173648/howto-splitting-multi-episode-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui

clarkss12

Possibly Plex is picking up the AC3 audio track, or it is transcoding audio only (for the TrueHD).  Can you confirm whether Plex is really DirectPlaying the video?  It may that it is transcoding but at a lower quality to Emby which is why you don't have buffering issues with Plex.  You can try reducing the transcoding quality in the server settings and see if this fixes the buffering issue.

To make a sample (by cutting/splitting) try:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVtoolnix

Here is a quick guide, look at the split modes

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/173648/howto-splitting-multi-episode-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui

I made a 1 minute clip so you can test it.  I sent you a PM with a link to my dropbox for the clip.  Not sure how to check to see if Plex is Direct playing the video.

clarkss12

Watched another DVD rip, "Last Man standing" and it played fairly well, considering it was being transcoded to 32-33 fps.  There were a few bufferings, but watchable, audio was Dolby Digital.  Again, why does this DVD rip need to be transcoded?

Server >>  Tronsmart Ara X5, Windows 10 microPC

Client >>   2016 Samsung smart TV

Last Man Standing ffmpeg 1 Log.txt

Last Man Standing mediainfo.txt

Last Man Standing server Log.txt

It's burning in subtitles. I'm not sure that Tizen supports the dvdsub subtitle format.

I think it will. I can test this tonight.  I have some rips in the same format.

clarkss12

One more observation, I am getting ready for the holidays, so was testing "The Polar Express".  The video plays great even though it is transcoding (37 fps), h264 ac3.  It however, is playing in a rectangle on the screen (pic attached), instead of whole screen with black borders on top and bottom.  My main issue is that it is not playing in Dolbly Digital. It shows PL2 C, instead of Dolby.

The best part of the Polar Express is the surround sound.

post-38990-0-90204200-1479858555_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-70978500-1479858559_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-88293900-1479858563_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-20743800-1479858568_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-12664500-1479858574_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-96571200-1479858578_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-87704400-1479858583_thumb.jpg

The Polar Express ffmpeg 1 Log1.txt

The Polar Express ffmpeg 2 Log1.txt

The Polar Express media info.txt

The Polar Express server log.txt

I think once the next version is released by Samsung it fixes these issues.  

Anamorphic content was not filling the screen in a previous version which is fixed for next release.

MPEG2 in mkv container is also a recent fix.  This is causing transcoding for you which is probably why your receiver is showing wrong audio stream type

Please check again when the next version is released to the store.

clarkss12

I think once the next version is released by Samsung it fixes these issues.  

Anamorphic content was not filling the screen in a previous version which is fixed for next release.

MPEG2 in mkv container is also a recent fix.  This is causing transcoding for you which is probably why your receiver is showing wrong audio stream type

Please check again when the next version is released to the store.

Thank you.

It's burning in subtitles. I'm not sure that Tizen supports the dvdsub subtitle format.

@@Luke, subs are selectable but don't play.  Message in server log with Beta 3.1.233.0  is

2016-11-23 20:07:55.2767 Info App: Not eligible for DirectPlay due to unsupported subtitles
2016-11-23 20:07:55.2767 Info App: Not eligible for DirectStream due to unsupported subtitles

Via DLNA with TwonkyServer, internal vobsub in mkv works fine, so this sounds like a fix on the server is required.

The 1.0.15 update has been approved for 2015 and 2016 models. Now we are just waiting for it to launch. I'm guessing you'll have access to the update within 24-48 hours.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

clarkss12

The 1.0.15 update has been approved for 2015 and 2016 models. Now we are just waiting for it to launch. I'm guessing you'll have access to the update within 24-48 hours.

Enjoy.

Thank you for the update, I will test and report.  I still can't figure out how to find the version number.

Edited by clarkss12