Genre Issues

epayson85

epayson85

Where is the Genre data stored on the server?  I know where its stored in my meta data but where does the server keep it / how can I refresh it without refreshing all of my metadata....

The reason I ask is because I just started a brand new build on a new server.  Copied all my movies over to it... all my meta data is stored in the media folders inside NFO files.  I see all of my genres in those NFO files correctly.  However, the server has decided to put copies of some genres.  Not all of them.  Just some of them.  For example comedy.  I have "Comedy" and I have "comedy" the only difference is the capital / lower case "C".  All the movies in the genre are exactly the same.  Actually the other difference is the Comedy has emby art work for the background / poster view where as the comedy has my custom art work.  This happened in stable, I tried beta and still having this.

Can I reset the database without refreshing my metadata?  I CAN NOT do a metadata refresh.  I have custom genres and I am not losing them.  Also the genre cleaner IS NOT WORKING on both stable and beta.  So something is clearly stuck and not letting genres work correctly.  My other server with the same meta data is working perfectly fine.

epayson85

What is the issue with genre cleaner?

Well first it doesn't see the extra genres, actually I shouldn't say that for some reason it does see the two comedy genres.  But it doesn't see any of the others with the same exact issue.  It does see the typical "sci-fi" "science fiction" but even which I select to combine those it doesn't work.  If I click the "start library scan" it does nothing.  No library scan is started.  If I start a library scan myself then again non of the changes happen.

epayson85

Have you locked metadata for any of your items or have you locked the genre field for any of your items?

If its a setting to do that on the server, no.  Unless that is a default selection.  Literally just did a fresh install on this server tonight.  I also made sure none of the files were set to read only.

Well the lock values might already be in your pre-existing nfo from your previous installation. It's at the bottom of the metadata edit screen in case that rings a bell.

epayson85

Well the lock values might already be in your pre-existing nfo from your previous installation. It's at the bottom of the metadata edit screen in case that rings a bell.

Then no I absolutely haven't done that.  Whats odd is I literally just did this a few weeks ago on another new server and did not have this issue.  I just deleted the database, deleted the tvshows library, and I'm running a scan on just the movies to see what I get for a result.

epayson85

ok so that just actually worked perfectly.  All my genres appear to be working perfectly... so now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the tvseries and their meta data. I'm going to add that library back now and see what happens.

epayson85

So its something to do with the tv series because they are all messed up again after scanning the tv series library.  Also checking each and every tv series they are all using capital "C" for comedy but caused the issue with the lower case "c" to show up.  Then again I have documentary, sports, and westerns doing the same thing but they don't even show up under genre cleaner.  I have also tried deleting the genre data from the tv shows but repeat genres still remain for the movies.  These didn't exist though until I scanned in my tv library.

epayson85

What's in your nfo?

Yea I checked those too. The genre was spelled correctly and with uppercase first letter. So something else I tried was deleting all the genre's on tv series then delete the movie library and re add them... still had it happen. I am going to attempt deleting the dB file and rescanning everything again but this time with the tvshows that have no genres to see what happens. Very odd.. like I said same exact libraries on a different server a couple weeks ago and this did not happen. Plus my own server does not do this.

The system is designed to be consistent so I don't know why you want to keep starting over only to end to with the same result. Perhaps discussion of specified example would be better.

• 1 month later...

Any resolution to this issue?  I'm having the same issue with some genre groups displaying twice; one capitalized and one not (ie. Comedy and comedy).  Both groupings contain the exact same movies.  I've verified that the .nfo file only contains a single version of the genre (the capitalized version) and have been thus far unsuccessful in cleaning this up or identifying root cause.

We will look into it but in the meantime you must have two movies with different casings of the same genre - yes we should be able to handle this, but if you need an immediate fix you can hunt those down and make sure they are consistent.

Thanks for the speedy response!  I'm assuming you mean that at least one .nfo file would contain the different casing?  To test this, I selected a genre with only 4 movies and looked at each of those 4 .nfo files.  All four had Capitalized genres, but i see both cases on the genre page.  I also used the report option to look at Genre's for my entire collection and every genre listed was capitalized.

As a test, I added a new genre "Test" to two movies and refreshed the library.  As expected, a single "Test" genre appeared.  I then changed one movie's genre to "test".  Now I had two listings:  "Test" and "test" confirming your suggestion above.  However, once I changed both movies back to "Test" and refreshed the library, both "Test" and "test" still show.  Thus, it seems the two versions of the genre are kept somewhere in the system db even though no movie is currently assigned to the lowercase version of the Genre.

I'll continue to play with scenarios to see if I can clean this up.  Thanks again!