jmangan

jmangan

Sorry if I'm not in the right place for this. I couldn't see the obvious topic area. Please move, if necessary.

I've been trying to sort out some TV boxsets and Battlestar Galactica is a good example.

First, following the naming information I put everything 'not an episode' in 'Season 0' specials. That made a bit of a mess. I looked through several forum posts and saw reference to theTVDB.com as a good source of information. That made it clear that specials are not 'extras' as such. I am assuming that Emby follows that convention.

So, I re-sorted with Specials only in 'Season 0' and created 'extras' folders in each Season folder as per the Movies. I can now see Deleted Scenes, etc. but they just get mixed up with the Episodes.

Is there a way to have them in an 'Extras' folder as with the Movies?

If there is could it be added to the naming information on the appropriate page?

Sorry if I've missed the clear instructions somewhere; I did search before posting.

Thanks,

jmangan

Luke, the problem with that is selecting non-conflicting episode numbers and everything gets marked as 'Special' making it difficult to separate out different items from different seasons - particularly for 5,6 or more season programmes.

Is there likely to be a convention in the forseeable future?

It's always a possibility for the future but what you can do for now is name them however you like, with or without episode numbers, and then just lock their metadata using the editor.

• Like 1

jmangan

583079aeee276_HHGTTG.pngSorry, another question. I've just realised that I created a 'Special Features' folder for another TV show, HHGTTG, as a sub-folder within its season and that shows up as a separate folder next to the Season.

When I tried the same thing with Battlestar it either doesn't show the folder or contents OR just shows the episodes and contents all mixed together.

I believe I created the sub-folders in the same way so I don't understand why the behaviour should be different.

Is there a way I can get the 'Special Features' folders for Battlestar to show in the same way?

Thanks,

Deathsquirrel

Having dealt with the same thing, just manipulate the season zero episode numbers.  Specials that exist on TVDB you can use their episode numbers.  For all the other crap you want to keep, set the episode numbers up above 100.

So, using hour examples, here are three different special episodes, both in the season 0 folder.

Battlestar Galactica (2003) S00E01 Battlestar Galactica the Miniseries (1).mkv.   -- this one exists in TVDB and matches their naming

Battlestar Galactica (2003) S00E101 Season 1 Behind the Scenes.mkv.   -- this title is made up as I don't have BG specials like this saved from my discs

Battlestar Galactica (2003) S00E201 Season 2 Cast Interview.mkv.   -- also made up but you bet the idea

Season one specials in the 100s, season 2 in the 200s, etc.  Works for me.

• Like 1

jmangan

That's certainly a workable solution and I may have to resort to it but I would still like to know why one series, HHGTTG, will show a 'Special Features' folder separately and another, BSG, won't.

I didn't do anything different so I don't understand why the folders are treated differently. Is it one 'Special Features' per Emby installation, one per series or is something else going on?

Thanks,

Happy2Play

Would have to do some testing but "Special Features" folder shouldn't work at all, that is why Luke said "Season 0".

jmangan

I'm still confused . . . 

My 'working' Special Features' above is a sub-folder in the 'Season 1' folder. That doesn't work with BSG. I would still like to know why.

So, presumably you can only have one 'Season 0'/'Special Features'/'Whatever' folder per series no matter where you put it?

I will try it out but any ideas what would/should happen if you put 'Season 1', 'Season 2', etc sub-folders in the 'Season 0'/'Specials' folder?

No, the nested folders under seasons will just be flattened out. i meant that you can put whatever folder you want directly under the series folder.

jmangan

Then why hasn't that happened with HHGTTG?

The 'Special Features' folder is in the 'Season 1' folder but shows up separately as in the screen capture above. I would really like to replicate that behaviour on my other TV shows.

You either have a Special Feature folder directly under the series folder, or somehow it's happening by accident and you're trying to rely on that unsupported behavior.

jmangan

Luke, that's what I have been saying. I have created a sub-folder in the HHGTTG folder and it appears as above.

When I do the same with BSG it either doesn't appear at all or scatters the contents among the episodes.

Is there any way to make the unsupported behaviour supported?

Pleeeasee  :D

Happy2Play

The 'Special Features' folder is in the 'Season 1' folder

This creates a nesting issue and everything is displayed improperly.

So you are saying this structure isn't working for more than one series?

BSG

-special features

-season 1

-season 2

HHGTTG

-special features

-season 1

-season 2

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

created 'extras' folders in each Season folder as per the Movies

This can not work because they are not attached to a specific item like movies.  This is why there is a display order in the metadata to tell Emby to play a special in a certain order.

jmangan

Happy2Play,

No, these are not specials in the sense used by thetvdb.org, more extras: deleted scenes, outtakes, etc.

I have:

HHGTTG

- Season 1

-Special Features

which displays as above but the doesn't behave in the same way when I use the same structure for BSG.

• 2 months later...
funwithmedia

I have some related questions... Please forgive my ignorance if these have already been answered above or elsewhere -- I'm having trouble understanding what's possible regarding this functionality currently.

Is there anyway currently with Specials which are related to a specific Season or Episode to display them somehow adjacent, or connected to, the appropriate Season or Episode? For example, I tried setting "Airs before episode" to 1 for a Special that is related to Episode 1, but didn't see that impacting anything in the presentation of that Special feature (ie, I could still only access it via the Specials page).

Similarly, if what I'm seeking is possible through the metadata settings (which is entirely possible--I assume I don't fully understand what they all do currently), is there any way to achieve this via filename (eg, S1E1.1 for a Special that is related to Episode 1 of Season 1)?

jmangan

There is a mechanism for what you want. If you visit 'thetvdb.com'  and find your programme you will see all of the seasons plus specials. If you create a 'Season 0' folder in Emby and put your specials in there and label them according to the thetvdb.com, e.g. s00e01 then you will see them appear in the appropriate season when you browse the media.

If you have items that are not listed as specials there doesn't appear to be an agreed standard as yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

funwithmedia

Thanks for chiming in! So if a Special does not exist in thetvdb.com then is there no way to achieve this via Emby Metadata settings, or were you just indicating there's no filename-based way of achieving this yet?

funwithmedia

Yes, thank you -- I was aware of that much. What I'm wondering at this point is if there anyway currently with Specials which are related to a specific Season or Episode to display them somehow adjacent, or connected to, the appropriate Season or Episode (when they don't have any specials-data in TVDB)? Like are there metadata settings that can achieve this? And if so, can we use a certain filename structure to pre-fill those metadata settings so that things will display right (I interpret this part is currently not possible, but I'm much less clear on the metadata-only route)?

Try editing the info for one of those specials and see if you see anything that might be related to that...

(I'm not trying to be obtuse.  I'm trying to discover why it wasn't obvious to you in the first place so we can improve)

• Like 1

Happy2Play

If the server knows they are specials you can tell it where to appear. 

58867b16d8670_speciails.jpg

Along with this setting "Display specials within seasons they aired in".  Dashboard-Library-Display

Example from metadata

<airsbefore_episode>1</airsbefore_episode>
  <airsbefore_season>10</airsbefore_season>
Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1