Anybody have trouble loading this website on AT&Ts network?

jwborc39963

jwborc39963

Over the past few days I have noticed that I can not connect to emby.media from my iPhone while I am on AT&T's network. If I VPN into my home network I don't have an issue, nor do I have an issue with any wifi. Network.

AT&T now uses IPV6 for their wireless NAT, and I suspect that may be related to the issue. I did a network capture of my iPhone attempting to connect to this site and basically just received a bunch of reset packets from emby.media's IPV6 address. When I try to connect on a wifi network, all the traffic happens via IPv4 and works normally.

I tried to reproduce the issue on my laptop and found that while I am on my home network, my laptop will attempt to connect via IPv6 first, and it is not successful. I can curl -6 emby.media and will just get a connection refused. I then try via IPv4 and it works. Lastly I try without picking which one to use, then my laptop tries IPv6, it fails, and then it automatically tries IPv4 and it works.

It appears AT&T may have somehow misconfigured their IPV6 implementation but I can not figure out what's wrong. My iPhone just isn't falling back to IPv4 after it encounters an issue with IPv6 on the AT&T network.

Does this make any sense? Does anyone else have any issues loading this website while on the AT&T wireless network?

Edited by jwborc39963

Happy2Play

So does manual connection work (add server)?  Is it just an issue in auto-detect?

jwborc39963

Sorry, I'm not talking about my own server at all. I am talking about this website that we are talking on right now (https://emby.media). When I try to open it up in safari on my phone it does not work if I am on the AT&T network.

This isn't an issue with the emby app or my emby server, I think it is an issue with AT&T and was curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

jwborc39963

After thinking this through more, I am guessing that if AT&T finds an AAAA record, they will only return the IPv6 address in their response to a DNS query. That wouldn't usually be an issue, but this website (https://emby.media) is not listening on port 443 on their IPv6 address, so this causes an issue.

Ideally AT&T would return both IPv6 and IPv4 records, but they do not. Would it be possible for the server admins to remove the AAAA record for emby.media until it is correctly listening on IPv6?