Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

EFEris

@luke do you think it will ever happen that you can release emby for samsung WW or any other country then you already have? just curious since you telling this to use since 5 years. It must be very frustrating for you and of course for all users that would like to use it. Isn't plex in a similar situation? Are the requirements from samsung resolvable? Would (if possible) a one time installation fee per TV solve the problem?

I mean I have L45 Premiere lifetime and would accept to pay a small (onetime) fee if not possible differently to use is on a samsung smart tv, installing it every 30 days is not an option.

thanks for your engagement

PS: if you don't believe that it will be released at some time you should say this and close this thread with "won't fix"

Yea we'd either have to require emby premiere or potentially some additional per unit cost to offset what we'd have to start paying Samsung. 

EFEris
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Yea we'd either have to require emby premiere or potentially some additional per unit cost to offset what we'd have to start paying Samsung. 

Sure if it's possible to cover the costs if you use emby premiere only users I would be really happy with it. If not then go the other way and charge the app, but not being listed this big market and postpone this topic is not good.

FrostByte

Maybe a blend of the two like ATV does.  With ATV you can just pay to unlock the app for normal playback of local media and then Premiere users get playback plus the other Premiere options that come with that

5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Maybe a blend of the two like ATV does.  With ATV you can just pay to unlock the app for normal playback of local media and then Premiere users get playback plus the other Premiere options that come with that

Hi.  Unfortunately, we also have to consider the costs and resources of us building and administering such a capability.  We take advantage of these systems in the large app stores but also had to build and still maintain back end systems to make it all work.  So, like everything else, it becomes a matter of resources and where we want to spend time - maintaining administrative systems to satisfy the payment requirements of things like this or continuing to enhance and support the actual system.

I know this isn't a great solution but it is a reality at this point in time and there are a multitude of relatively cheap devices (Android, Roku, Amazon, etc.) that we do have supported apps on which can be a good solution until we are able to apply the necessary resources to these situations.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

EFEris
17 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Unfortunately, we also have to consider the costs and resources of us building and administering such a capability.  We take advantage of these systems in the large app stores but also had to build and still maintain back end systems to make it all work.  So, like everything else, it becomes a matter of resources and where we want to spend time - maintaining administrative systems to satisfy the payment requirements of things like this or continuing to enhance and support the actual system.

I know this isn't a great solution but it is a reality at this point in time and there are a multitude of relatively cheap devices (Android, Roku, Amazon, etc.) that we do have supported apps on which can be a good solution until we are able to apply the necessary resources to these situations.

Thanks for your understanding.

I fully understand this, maintain infrastructure costs time and money. I have no idea about the userbase emby has but looking at the tv market share ( https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1645428019 no idea if this source is reliable) it looks like there is samsung then nothing then lg.

I would say having a "premiere only" option would be better then having no option.

Anyway I don't want to bother you further, just saying a clear answer telling us not to except with a official client this decade is also fine for me. Just clear communication, "working on it" for several years doesn't make anyone happy I think.

thanks for your great software

• Agree 3

schamane

Hi,

I agree with EFEris, a "premiere only" option is better then none and saying "working on it" is way too often used in this Forum, but without delivering results (Sorry, sounds hard, but that's how I feel about it)

And Samsung is the most common TV Brand in the EU, there is no doubt about it.

Maintaining is a point, but to be honest, I can not imagine, that this will get out of control, Tizen is Linux based and u got a client for US already, as a plus, just quit the support of some useless old devices like a PS3? which will be used by a max of 1 % ? And in my opinion it's a waste of energy using such a power consuming device for streaming.

Anyways, we got ur point, but ignoring the biggest Brand of TV Manufacturers is not a good idea I guess. And of course we could use Roku, Fire-tv etc. but its another device, another remote etc. pp

And if it's about a few euros once, everyone can make it's own decision.

Edited by schamane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...
ultralord

i already own a emby server some years now as alternative.. i mainly use emby we are from greece me and my viewers.. and i hope someday move to emby but now the only way is Plex because no one knows how to install app from usb or change region of their tv to install emby.. also if change the region u wont have the local apps from providers..

i hope in the future will change that and move my users to emby is more stable and clearly.. but its a hope.

thanks.

ultralord
On 4/18/2022 at 1:21 AM, Luke said:

i think that will be ok if we see the app on WW Store.. if any chance to make it at this way ? like payment to use that app or something

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
Cyberrob90

Liebes Emby Entwickler-Team, 

nachdem die EMBY App ja auf US und UK Versionen des SmartHubs zur Verfügung gestellt wurde, würden ich (und wohl auch einige andere in diesem Forum) es sehr begrüßen, wenn die App auch in den deutschen SmartHub hochgeladen werden könnte. 

Ich hatte diesbezüglich den Samsung Support kontaktiert, welcher mich hier an das EMBY Entwicklerteam verwieß. 

Samsung selbst stellt keine Apos bereit, das sei Sache der Entwickler. 

Antwort von Samsung anbei:

"

Einen schönen guten Morgen Herr [...] ,

vielen lieben Dank für Ihre Nachricht. Sehr gern helfe ich Ihnen weiter.

Sie vermissen die App EMBY im Smart-Hub. Gut, dass Sie sich an uns wenden. 

Bedauerlicherweise haben wir keinen Einfluss auf die vorhandenen Apps. Mit dem Smart-Hub bieten wir lediglich die Plattform, wie auf Smartphones der App-Store oder Google Play-Store. Demnach bitte ich Sie, sich an den Anbieter der App zu wenden und zu erfragen, ob ein Upload der App in der nächsten Zeit geplant wird.

Bei weiteren Fragen stehe ich Ihnen sehr gern weiterhin zur Verfügung.

Haben Sie einen schönen Tag und bleiben Sie gesund!

Freundliche Grüße aus Schwalbach

Franziska Bortchard"

Cyberrob90

Sorry for german, now in English :

Dear Emby development team,

since the EMBY app was made available on the US and UK versions of the SmartHub, I (and probably some others in this forum as well) would very much appreciate it if the app could also be uploaded to the German SmartHub.

I had contacted Samsung Support regarding this, which referred me to the EMBY development team.

Samsung itself does not provide Apos, that is up to the developers.

Answer from Samsung attached:

"

Have a nice good morning sir [...] ,

Thank you very much for your message. I would be happy to help you further.

You miss the EMBY app in the smart hub. Good that you are contacting us.

Unfortunately, we have no influence on the existing apps. With the Smart-Hub we only offer the platform, like the App Store or Google Play Store on smartphones. Accordingly, I ask you to contact the provider of the app and ask whether an upload of the app is planned in the near future.

If you have any further questions, I will be happy to continue to be at your disposal.

Have a nice day and stay healthy!

Kind regards from Schwalbach

Franziska Bortchard"

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
tjb_altf4
On 17/04/2022 at 23:50, EFEris said:

@luke do you think it will ever happen that you can release emby for samsung WW or any other country then you already have? just curious since you telling this to use since 5 years. It must be very frustrating for you and of course for all users that would like to use it. Isn't plex in a similar situation? Are the requirements from samsung resolvable? Would (if possible) a one time installation fee per TV solve the problem?

I mean I have L45 Premiere lifetime and would accept to pay a small (onetime) fee if not possible differently to use is on a samsung smart tv, installing it every 30 days is not an option.

thanks for your engagement

PS: if you don't believe that it will be released at some time you should say this and close this thread with "won't fix"

+1

Happy to pay a fair one off fee (on top of premiere) if it gets this over the line (Australia/Oceania region), I am so sick of monthly reinstalls which also necessitates monthly reconfig to connect to server. 

On 18/04/2022 at 06:21, Luke said:

I'm baffled this isn't already the case, its literally the selling feature of premiere, which I have already purchased :(

• 4 weeks later...
simmons01
On 18/04/2022 at 00:21, Luke said:

I'm a new emby user (started roughly 40 days ago) and though of purchasing emby premiere to be able to run it on iOS (my iPad) as well. I basically ran into the 30 day update side-load  required with my Samsung Tizen TV (The Frame) just this weekend and I'm baffled to find out I either have to update it every 30 days via USB or switch the region (which basically renders other offerings/apps I use useless). So I decided to register on the form and provide feedback. 🙂

I completely understand that you can't finance Samsung's greed for free users but with premiere I'd expect this to be a non-issue.

I've just updated it via USB again and went through the setup process. I don't see myself doing this again and again. I would happily become a premiere user but my requirement would be to see emby in the EU/German Samsung store. My alternative is to switch to another app, readily available on the EU/German store.

I'll watch this thread for the next 2-3 re-installs of the emby app and will make a decision then.

Other than that my experience with emby has been great and I'd look forward to keep this experience. 🙂

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, simmons01 said:

My alternative is to switch to another app, readily available on the EU/German store.

Or buy a streaming stick (FireStick, Mi Stick which are both available in Germany) and get around it, which I did with my Frame; as a bonus, you get much better client app, AndroidTV, as opposed to native Samsung one. 

EFEris
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Or buy a streaming stick (FireStick, Mi Stick which are both available in Germany) and get around it, which I did with my Frame; as a bonus, you get much better client app, AndroidTV, as opposed to native Samsung one. 

I think that's not the point, we all know that there are workaround. But if you buy a screen for € 1000+ which has smart tv support and "all" the other media apps are available (incl. media centers) you don't want the switch to a stick only for one media source. (at least I wouldn't like to buy for each screen in my house an own stick).

And still the real problem is that we don't get a "No we will never support this" but only a here do it with usb and be happy.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, EFEris said:

I think that's not the point, we all know that there are workaround. But if you buy a screen for € 1000+ which has smart tv support and "all" the other media apps are available (incl. media centers) you don't want the switch to a stick only for one media source. (at least I wouldn't like to buy for each screen in my house an own stick).

To each their own, I guess, all my non-AndroidTVs have a stick sticked, I didn't even think twice about that - though I must admit I'm a big AndroidTV client app fan so would've done it even without all the Samsung app mess. 🤷‍♂️

simmons01
3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

As @EFEris mentioned, this isn't the point. It might be an acceptable or even preferred solution for some users but it is not for me.

• Agree 1

FrostByte
7 minutes ago, simmons01 said:

As @EFEris mentioned, this isn't the point. It might be an acceptable or even preferred solution for some users but it is not for me.

Having it in the store would be nice, but I think the folks from Emby have been very clear why it's not in the Samsung store worldwide after 7 years+ now and I doubt anyone needs to be told it will never happen because it should be obvious that holding our breath waiting won't do any good.

So, for right now having options is good until Luke or someone else from Emby lets us know that something has changed. 

Even if it were in the store worldwide, that would only help for 5 years because Samsung has started to stop accepting updates for TVs older than that now.  Then eventually everyone will be getting their usb stick out every 30 days anyway or using another option.

skobkin
On 8/1/2022 at 7:57 PM, FrostByte said:

the folks from Emby have been very clear

What I saw in this thread is that folks from Emby were quite evasive around this topic all the way. And only sometimes there were some answers hinting that Emby developers don't want to agree on Samsung's terms about revenue sharing.

I'd say that this thread should be closed with some summary about the fact that this most likely will not happen and opened if something changes.

I've subscribed to this thread to get some news, but the only thing I'm receiving for ~four years is the same question and the same answer each time.

UPD: I'm not trying to say that Emby devs are lying or greedy. We all know how unreasonable corporate agreements could be.
It just doesn't make much sense to me to keep this thread open in this situation.

Edited by skobkin
Clarified things a bit.
  • Agree 2

strichmo

As a video game developer I personally know the pain of handing over some % of rev to platform holders, but that is the state of things for us and at the end of the day we make more money by supporting those platforms for users. Here is my case in point: I have been a relatively happy Emby user for about 3 months now and I'm downloading Plex right now - I'm just not going to update Emby every 30 days from USB as that's insane to expect my family to do so. I just can't deal with the constant issues like this so I'm going to have to switch I'm afraid.

• Agree 4

FrostByte
On 8/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, skobkin said:

UPD: I'm not trying to say that Emby devs are lying or greedy. We all know how unreasonable corporate agreements could be.
It just doesn't make much sense to me to keep this thread open in this situation.

Admins can do as they wish, but I hate to close the thread myself if someone wants to express their feelings and things don't get out of hand. 

Nothing has changed much over that past 7+ years though since it was first brought up and now that Samsung isn't even publishing updates for TVs older than 5 years even the folks in the US and UK with older Tizen TVs have to use usb if they want to stay current. 

If loading a usb or changing app region wasn't a desirable solution for me though, then I would have found another solution by now.  Firestik, Roku, Shield (my preference), or something else.   At least with an external box you can get things like TrueHD, DTS, PGS subs, etc which you will never get with any of the TV apps.  To me, it's a shame to spend so much on a nice TV and soundbar/AVR and not get the most of them.  

If the cost of publishing in the Samsung store is so high, then maybe making Premiere a requirement would be a good idea if that were enough to cover their costs. 

• Agree 2

Painkiller8818

We already discussed this and most people here are totally ok with paying another 3-4€ as a one time Payment to help getting the emby app in the Samsung store but still no reaction of the core devs getting this to work. 

So Yeah i can totally understand if a lot people switch to plex or jellyfin etc. 

I don't understand why the devs don't wanna add it to the store even if the ppl help to bring the money. 

It is the same with alexa Support in other languages, it is always just *a good idea* or *we are still working on it*