Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

FrostByte
3 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

Exactly! This, and that i know for a fact Emby that does NOT test their apps on Tizen OS before releasing it, i'm still not convinced to buy Premiere.
Don't get me wrong, Emby is a beautiful application, just not for TV's without an SBC.

Actually, you are the test if you download and use the usb method to install which is stated on the instructions page.  The only official way to release a Tizen app is through the store after Samsung does their own testing. 

The USB is meant for testing purposes only which is why Samsung also puts that 28 day limit on installs so that developers don't try to release it that way.  Some people are just choosing to use beta because it's not available through the store for them.

Before the USB method was made available for people to beta test the only way to get the app for some was to change their TVs region to a country the app was available from the Tizen store.  

Edited by FrostByte

SamES
22 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

i know for a fact Emby that does NOT test their apps on Tizen OS before releasing it

Fact?

FrostByte
44 minutes ago, SamES said:

Fact?

I guess since you're not using that Samsung TV of yours you could just give it to me :)

• Like 1

k0Lm.
58 minutes ago, SamES said:

Fact?

The reason i am saying that is because i have tested the last couple of USB versions on 4 televisions, and on 2 out of 3 samsung's it's not able to use the app for a while now.
I mean, if you'd test it and notice that it doesnt work as proper as before, it would only be logical to rollback and redo, which it has not, right?
Maybe it's only tested on samsung's similar to the one that it does work on for me, and i should change it from "not" to "not thoroughly enough" or something.

But yeah the only reason i am testing USB versions is because i am waiting for an expansion in codecs andso i could start moving to/start using Emby.

SamES
6 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

The reason i am saying that is because i have tested the last couple of USB versions on 4 televisions, and on 2 out of 3 samsung's it's not able to use the app for a while now.

So have you reported these issues so that we can investigate?

• Like 1

SamES
17 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

But yeah the only reason i am testing USB versions is because i am waiting for an expansion in codecs andso i could start moving to/start using Emby

Can you explain this?  What are you expecting?  We can only support the codecs supported by the TV, we can't make it play something it doesn't support.  In this case, we covert the audio and/or video as required to a supported format.  We can't do more than that.

• Like 1

serpi
On 4/26/2021 at 3:30 PM, FrostByte said:

Some people are just choosing to use beta because it's not available through the store for them.

Some people? AFAIR it's only available in US, UK and maybe Canada, am I right?

That's seems to be just a typically american sight, everything that is not USA is an exception.

Europe alone has more then double the population of the USA + Canada, so getting the app to the european store would most likedly also get some new users, who get curious when seeing the app in the store.

And of course, only some people are using the USB installation, because it's a pain in the a** with that pointless time limit in the app or they simply do not know about it.

I have not seen a single post here, that the app stopped working afer xx days (I admit, I could have overseen it, so please correct me). It seems, only the installation is not possible anymore after the 28/30 days, then you need a newer version if you want to install it. But already installed versions seems to be running fine for a pretty long time. Am I right?

Ciao, Alfred

• Confused 1

FrostByte
2 hours ago, serpi said:

That's seems to be just a typically american sight, everything that is not USA is an exception.

Europe alone has more then double the population of the USA + Canada, so getting the app to the european store would most likedly also get some new users, who get curious when seeing the app in the store.

And of course, only some people are using the USB installation, because it's a pain in the a** with that pointless time limit in the app or they simply do not know about it.

I have not seen a single post here, that the app stopped working afer xx days (I admit, I could have overseen it, so please correct me). It seems, only the installation is not possible anymore after the 28/30 days, then you need a newer version if you want to install it. But already installed versions seems to be running fine for a pretty long time. Am I right?

Ciao, Alfred

Some people meaning that some people prefer to use the beta instead of changing their region.  The question/comment was about whether the app was being tested before it goes to Samsung and had nothing to do with contracts with Samsung.  And the answer was that everyone who installs the USB version is testing the beta

Nothing you just said has anything to do with the question asked which was about testing

Oh, and yes the requirements by Samsung on USB installs did change again.

Edited by FrostByte

jscoys
On 4/27/2021 at 1:34 PM, serpi said:

I don't know for UK, but unfortunately it's not available in Canada...

serpi
23 hours ago, FrostByte said:

And the answer was that everyone who installs the USB version is testing the beta

Which means, that most people (everyone who does not have the app in the store) are beta testing, even if they do not want to.

I live in germany, I do not want to beta test the app, I am an premium user, who just wants to use the app.

Also, looking at the download page, there is no mention that you are a beta tester, only becaouse you do not live in USA, UK or Ireland, but installing the USB version is the official way to use the app outside these regions:

emby.jpg.635b2816a746f512a268e2481fc9f062.jpg

I have to say, I like the Tizen version, I'm using it on 2 TVs and I think it works very well and besides DTS, it plays nearly everything natively I have in my library.

But this f***ing nag requester after some weeks is really a fun killer.

And still, I have nothing seen, that the app would stop working after the period, but it seems, you cannot install an old version after 4 weeks.

This, of course, is no reason to have that requester at every start of the app (which may happen several times a day)!

And it would be less worse (but still very bad), if the requester would show right after starting the app, maybe even before login. But no. it waits several seconds, so I have enough time to start an episode from next up an then the f***ing requester blocks my video!

So, how can I use the app on my TVs without being a beta tester?!

Ciao, Alfred

serpi
8 minutes ago, jscoys said:

I don't know for UK, but unfortunately it's not available in Canada...

Yeah, sorry, it was USA, UK and Ireland (see my last post).

Canadians may be to polite to use the app, I don't know...

Ciao, Alfred

We're working as hard as we can to get the app released worldwide. We're doing the best we can given the cards that have been dealt by Samsung.

jscoys
1 minute ago, serpi said:

Canadians may be to polite to use the app, I don't know...

lol in some circumstances I'm not polite 😉

psxlover
On 4/28/2021 at 10:48 PM, serpi said:

And still, I have nothing seen, that the app would stop working after the period, but it seems, you cannot install an old version after 4 week

Unfortunately the latest versions do stop working, which is very annoying. Relaxing on the sofa and starting Emby to watch something, only to see that it has expired and you need to open the pc to download a new version is a mood killer.

Edited by psxlover

vdatanet
8 minutes ago, psxlover said:

Unfortunately the latest versions do stop working, which is very annoying. Relaxing on the sofa and starting Emby to watch something, only to see that it has expired and you need to open the pc to download a new version is a mood killer.

Even worse is that while you are watching a movie when a family member calls you that the application does not work 😀

That's why I generally have the app start notfying you on startup prior to 30 days. Usually I do it around 27 days, because the message that you get from the Emby app is a little more clear than the one Samsung gives you.

serpi
8 hours ago, psxlover said:

This means, if I would have an "older" version installed, it would not stop working and would have "only" the nag requester?

With which version/build was this added?

Ciao, Alfred

• 2 months later...
dwwillia

Hello,

In order to save my sanity, could you please have the Emby app added to the official Samsung app store in Canada (I Have a Samsung Q70r) so I can stop using the USB load method?  It is problematic to keep the app updated due to the fun of getting a USB stick into the ports on the back. I realize this topic has been raised before, but frankly I am trying to generate noise so the app gets pushed in :)

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
simonlange1971

Im just curious why Samsung TV owners may install Emby from the Samsung store in the US and in the UK but the rest is tortured with USB installs every months.

So what is the blocker to get it in the store of european countries as well? Is there something we, the community, can help with?! Why are you able to deliver it to some but not to all stores?

Simon

• Like 1

turpentine

@simonlange1971i like your sense of humour.

i am an out of commonwealth guy, every new version i do an usb install, but what bothers me the most, is not the fact i should install emby on usb.

What bothers me the most, is that emby for samsung is unable to display correctly subtitles when direct stream is activated, especially with dts tracks. it is painfull.

the subtitles approach for samsung tv is very painfull. by chance i have a workaround, i use a chromecast with emby when displaying subtitles with dts tracks :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, psxlover said:

Shit I didn't know this,  I am about to sign up for Premiere so I need to wait for it to release in my region.