Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

lejared
26 minutes ago, serpi said:

And then there is the unnecessary nag screen every month to update the app, even if there is no new app or the old one would still work, as there was no server update.

I completely agree, especially on this point. PLEASE, give this dialog some kind of option to show it only once and then dismiss it until the next month. I've bought premiere to not see those advertising popup screens every time I start the emby app anymore and now instead those annoying update popups block the whole app on every start just to make me grind through this manual update process every month for almost no changes to the app.

• Like 1

So please, try harder to get the app to the store, there are really some bad apps there, so it vcan't be that hard!

It's not really an issue of app quality.

even if there is no new app

There is always a new update every single month.

Yes we can look at improving this. Without automatic updates we're just trying to make sure that nobody gets permanently stuck on a really old version.

Wann kommt endlich die Version für Europa Deutschland? Emby ist sehr gut, aber die Update Nachricht auf dem Fernsehr bei jeder neuen Version ist sehr nervig.

• Like 1

I have been watching this post as someone is posting under my username. It is quite confusing as they are coming to my email. How is this possible? Please not that these comments are not coming from Kris.

Happy2Play
25 minutes ago, kris said:

I have been watching this post as someone is posting under my username. It is quite confusing as they are coming to my email. How is this possible? Please not that these comments are not coming from Kris.

Have you looked at your notification options since you are follower of the topic?  But this could be a change in the new forum software.

• 1 month later...

So, it's 2021, when will we get Emby in Europe store?

I'm really annoyed that I have to uninstall, reinstall and make all settings every month because af that f*cked up, stupid update message in the USB installation.

Really, WHAT is the problem?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well - just install the new version and it is working like a charm. i never uninstalled or reconfigured the app.

Still a little bit annoying but ...

Edited by mbo

7 hours ago, serpi said:

So, it's 2021, when will we get Emby in Europe store?

I'm really annoyed that I have to uninstall, reinstall and make all settings every month because af that f*cked up, stupid update message in the USB installation.

Really, WHAT is the problem?

I would check out my comments from earlier in this topic. We're doing the best we can given what's available to us.

3 hours ago, mbo said:

Well - just install the new version and it is working like a charm. i never uninstalled or reconfigured the app.

Thanks for the feedback.

15 hours ago, Luke said:

I would check out my comments from earlier in this topic. We're doing the best we can given what's available to us.

Reading your comments (from 2018/2019) it seems, Samsung wants you to pay for worldwide distribution, you dont want to pay. Am I right?

So now you are waiting for Samsung to give you cheaper/free world distribution,

So, could you now please remove that damn nag requester at every Emby start after a month? Just build something more intelligent, like normal people would do, check the server version and, if necessary, display an update message.

Or display the message ONCE after a month, maybe more often, when the version gets REALLY old (a year or so).

I dont buy the "peaople should not run old versions", as the Samsung store version seems often to be some versions behind the USB version, so the old version still runs, even when the nag screen appears.

19 hours ago, mbo said:

Then you are lucky. I cannot install the new USB version, if the old is installed (install option does simply not appear).

I first have to uninstall the old version, loosing all app settings, and then I can install the new version and have to set the settings again for me and my family (and that on two Samsung TVs).

And as I will have the login screen displayed on app start, it's always a pain in the a** to go to manual login, enter login data with the remote, go down to the remember me option and disable it. Of course, every now and then, I enter OK button, which will login before disabling the option.

I don't understand, why this in not an option in the settings (like on Android TV) and I also do not understand, why "show background" and similar options are not stored on the server but the app.

Really, I like the samsung app, it has great playback (besides that Samsung doesn't support DTS on newer models), but this installing from USB every month is just more then a little bit annoying, the requester often breaks playback, as it does not appear right on app start but after a few seconds, so that you had enough time to start something from the Next Up line, And then pressing back doesn't close the requester but stops playback, the requster keeps on the screen, so you have to close the app and enter it again.

Ciao, Alfred

FrostByte

There is another topic somewhere which Luke mentions the Samsung policy on distribution of apps.  According to them the only official way to distribute apps is via the Samsung store after they have been tested by them.  USB is then meant for developers to test their apps before submitting to Samsung.  In addition to the nag message Samsung now requires the expiration on USB apps thus preventing exactly what you're trying to do.   

So basically you're stuck between not having the app, or testing a new version of the app every month.  Unless you would rather change the region of your TV to one of the countries Emby does have a contract to release the app and get it from the Samsung store that way

Edited by FrostByte

lejared
21 hours ago, mbo said:

This does not work for all Samsung TV. For example my 2017 Tizen TV will not install any new version of an USB-installed App unless it is completely deleted. Which of course also deletes all settings.

• Like 3

FrostByte
1 minute ago, lejared said:

This does not work for all Samsung TV. For example my 2017 Tizen TV will not install any new version of an USB-installed App unless it is completely deleted. Which of course also deletes all settings.

Most don't including mine which is why the instructions are worded the way they are.  The ones who can upgrade are lucky.  I suppose I could try to reword the instructions though so people can try upgrading if they wish

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FrostByte said:

There is another topic somewhere which Luke mentions the Samsung policy on distribution of apps.  According to them the only official way to distribute apps is via the Samsung store after they have been tested by them.

As the app is available in the US store, the testing by Samsung doesn't seem to be the big problem.

16 hours ago, FrostByte said:

In addition to the nag message Samsung now requires the expiration on USB apps thus preventing exactly what you're trying to do.   

That's only one more reason, to get the app to worldwide stores.

Luke mentioned in this thread, that distribution in the home country store is free, while Samsung wants money for worldwide distribution.

For me, it would be worth a few bucks to pay for the app, just to get rid of that nag screen and the hassle every month, but it seems, this is no option for the developers, as usual, Europe seems not to be an important market for americans.

This thread is already over 4 yeras and there doesn't seem to be any solution in the future.

Maybe I will try Plex, the app is available (for free) on Samsung TV and other devices and it seems not to be that different from Emby (yes, I'm really THAT annoyed by the Samsung app).

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
jscoys

Hello dropping on the topic... I've got a friend I would like to give access too but seems the store limitation still there.

@LukeDo you think it could be possible to have the app free on US Store and sell it for I don't know, 4$ or 5$ one shot payment? Honestly people would buy it, and maybe with that you could cover your costs.

Because right now people are reluctant to switch to US store, because the other app are stick to the US Store, so everything becomes English on your TV... when you're living in Spain or Germany it's a big jump/decision...

jscoys

Also screw Samsung for making their own store instead of giving access to a basic Android system with a completely opened Google app store... $$$$$$$

skobkin
12 hours ago, jscoys said:

Also screw Samsung for making their own store instead of giving access to a basic Android system with a completely opened Google app store... $$$$$$$

1. Current Samsung TV's are not using Android OS, so there is no point in giving access to Play Store.
  2. Google Play is not so "open". Considering how they can ban anyone they want and you have no guarantee that they'll listen to you if you're innocent. Check out some cases like banning Mastodon apps or similar. Yes, you can pay some money and open Android developer account, but see previous point.

I can agree that using Tizen and it's own store is pretty controversial, but I can't say that using Google's OS and store is the only right choice.

jscoys
15 hours ago, skobkin said:
  1. Current Samsung TV's are not using Android OS, so there is no point in giving access to Play Store.
  2. Google Play is not so "open". Considering how they can ban anyone they want and you have no guarantee that they'll listen to you if you're innocent. Check out some cases like banning Mastodon apps or similar. Yes, you can pay some money and open Android developer account, but see previous point.

I can agree that using Tizen and it's own store is pretty controversial, but I can't say that using Google's OS and store is the only right choice.

I understand your points and Google is not what they were several years ago with the power they have today. But at the end I have Emby running and auto-updating on my Sony TV with its embedded Android OS and my friends who have a Samsung TV can’t even find the app in their App Store 🤔

skobkin
4 hours ago, jscoys said:

my friends who have a Samsung TV can’t even find the app in their App Store 🤔

How they manage their own store is another question. I have no intentions to say that they're doing it good.

vdatanet

This is a big problem, so I advise my family and friends not to buy Samsung TVs. From time to time I have to go to my sister-in-law's house to update the application manually in hers Samsung TV because it has expired and in times of pandemic this is a problem.

• Agree 1

k0Lm.
59 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

not to buy Samsung TVs.

This does not make any sense at all, a TV should not be compared by their OS, there is nothing wrong with Tizen OS, it can even be more responsive then Android OS.
If you want the best experience for running apps on your TV you should simply use an SBC (f.e. with Kodi OS or even a simple Firestick would suffice), there is no question about that.

Now, you are talking specifically about the Emby app.
The question (imo) here should be, why cant Emby (a company app) not get an app in the Tizen OS store while others like Plex (a community app) can.

If you'd read up to that in the previously made posts in this topic, the only given information we (the user) get is that they are working on meeting the requirements that Samsung holds for Tizen OS, which seems to be a difficult task for whatever reason.

We should just be gratefull that Emby offers the alternative to use the Emby app without changing region (because then is works) via USB.
Also, if the app "expires" you can still use it, you just get a popup message that there is a newer version.

• Like 1

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

The question (imo) here should be, why cant Emby (a company app) not get an app in the Tizen OS store while others like Plex (a community app) can.

I agree with this, but at this time, if you need Emby in your TV and you have to buy a new TV buying an LG TV makes life easier. (when Emby app is not available in your region)

Edited by vdatanet

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

I agree with this, but at this time, if you need Emby in your TV and you have to buy a new TV buying an LG TV makes life easier. (when Emby app is not available in your region)

.. not sure I would agree with that either.   The LG app does not seem to be getting much love either - it's 14 Months since the last update, and there is no option to update that via USB.

The only TV Clients that appear to be getting any attention at the moment is Android/TV and Roku - Samsung and LG are way behind.

• Like 1

k0Lm.
39 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The only TV Clients that appear to be getting any attention at the moment is Android/TV and Roku

Exactly! This, and that i know for a fact Emby that does NOT test their apps on Tizen OS before releasing it, i'm still not convinced to buy Premiere.
Don't get me wrong, Emby is a beautiful application, just not for TV's without an SBC.

skobkin
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

I have two LG's and one Samsung in the family. And I can't say that if I need to buy new TV it would be LG.

Less restrictive store is probably the best feature of these Smart TV's. But I've got a lot more troubles with them. For example I have EMBY app crashes on both LG TV's of different models while playing some specific videos.

For me LG looks better from a first glance. But then I see that Samsung with it's much more closed ecosystem just working better. And that makes me sad. But I can even use Samsung as Steam Link client.

Edited by skobkin